Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davo  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2023 11:44:47 AM(UTC)
davo

Was thanked: 281 time(s) in 165 post(s)

With the advent of a working vag coming for Genesis 9, my big question as a vendor is how much longer do we need to support G8?  Are you all making the switch? At some point support is going to stop.

Thoughts?

Davo

Seven-ol  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2023 2:17:29 PM(UTC)
Seven-ol

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi Davo,
I'm not a vendor, just a customer. There are already several anatomical elements for G9, even if we are all waiting for Meipe's "addendum".
I'm puzzled by the fact that Daz is still selling G8/G8.1 stuff. Maybe G9 is not as successful, commercially speaking, as they expected ?
I still mainly use G8.

While I'm here, I must say I loved the Pichard series, I'm not as fond of techno-scifi oriented you make.
Blake_Stronge  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2023 3:48:15 PM(UTC)
Blake_Stronge

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I have spent a great deal of time (and money) converting all my often used comic characters from G8 to G9. Whilst the conversion has been largely successful I recently started a new comic using the new G9 characters, but without the mulititude of posing scripts to place hands and feet, I found G9 incredibly cumbersome and time consuming to use, and I need to make lots (and lots, and lots) of correction morphs where arm-over-head poses cause ugly distortions on all my characters so I switched back to G8. I will keep up with G9 though, with GP being an insta buy, along with Advanced Pussy if that gets done, and just hope that future development makes it esaier to use, but I can see G8 still being my character of choicce for some time yet.
billyben  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2023 6:22:02 PM(UTC)
billyben

Was thanked: 1504 time(s) in 1278 post(s)

I made a whole hog switch to G9 when Victoria 9 went on sale at 50% off last year.  G9 was my muse and got me doing 3D art again.  There is a lot of potential there especially with facial expressions and using HD models for close up work.  However I find it maddening that development of BDSM goodies and clothing with undress morphs for G9 is so slow.  I have been begging for a good ball gag and a good Bishop/Panel gag for months.  An updated G9 version fo a Bettie Page style pinup hair would be nice too.  Swam's Sheridan hair for G3 is getting very long in the tooth.

My interest is in Sci Fi and vintage 50's style pinups and bondage (think Bettie Page bondage when she was one of Irving Klaw's models meets Barbarella all tied up).  I am picking up Devious Devices 07 for Daz Studio tomorrow (payday) which will get me G9 Iron cuffs that I can try G9 with converted poses on some of your earlier fiendishly fun contraptions.  And the Devious Devises and Fuck Machine that come with this set look like a lot of fun too.  I am still waiting for Sickleyield to start her tied up series for G9.  Hopefully your next release will have G9 Sci Fi cuffs.  Now if someone can just do some good ball gags, ring gags, etc and a good Bishop/Panel gag, I can begin to put all of my G9 Damsels in some serious distress.  (insert sinister laugh and long mustache twisting here).

Edited by user Thursday, May 11, 2023 6:24:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bill
I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused
Thunder-3D  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2023 3:37:28 AM(UTC)
Thunder-3D

Was thanked: 237 time(s) in 158 post(s)

Life kinda pulled me away from making products for a while, but I'm still working on finishing USM 2 and want to get it done to get back to making poses.

I plan to support both G8/8.1 and G9 for a long time.

G8 is far from dead. :)

thanks 1 user thanked Thunder-3D for this useful post.
bikdingle on 5/12/2023(UTC)
SnarltheWerewolf  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2023 7:25:45 AM(UTC)
SnarltheWerewolf

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm also one in the still using G8 camp. I just haven't found G9 to be worth the hassle to move, and now we're 6+ months post launch and things that normally would have gotten me to move a generation in the past have been released. That being said, still don't find G9 worth it. I'm still buying a lot at stores that sell G8 items, which is pretty much everyone but Daz
Zeppelin  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2023 12:03:58 PM(UTC)
Zeppelin

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 96 post(s)

Originally Posted by: SnarltheWerewolf Go to Quoted Post
I'm also one in the still using G8 camp. I just haven't found G9 to be worth the hassle to move, and now we're 6+ months post launch and things that normally would have gotten me to move a generation in the past have been released. That being said, still don't find G9 worth it. I'm still buying a lot at stores that sell G8 items, which is pretty much everyone but Daz

I wholeheartedly agree. Beyond the expense of all the proprietary clothes and morphs, the file sizes of the new models keeps growing and the products used for them keep getting larger as well. I find it a bit of a racket that everyone has to start over with new items or convert their old ones. I'm happy with the 8.1 expressions and characters and plan to keep using them. I really see little improvement in the new models from the renders I've seen. They appear to be the same quality. 

One more note, have you noticed the price inflation of products on Daz? With all of the AI competition, you would think they would try and be more competitive, instead the sale items which used to $3-$4 are now $7-$8. My income has not budged but the products keep climbing. So I plan to get the most milage out of products I already have.

thanks 1 user thanked Zeppelin for this useful post.
yakitoo on 5/13/2023(UTC)
Hellboy  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 13, 2023 4:55:10 AM(UTC)
Hellboy

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 77 post(s)

As a vendor and user, I switch to the next figure the day it launches. If the product is relatively easy to support on both generations, I support both until numbers show it's not worth it anymore and then I just focus on the new one only.

Originally Posted by: Seven-ol Go to Quoted Post
I'm puzzled by the fact that Daz is still selling G8/G8.1 stuff. Maybe G9 is not as successful, commercially speaking, as they expected ?

Genesis 9 is very successful, but Genesis 8 has been the standard for many years, I think the longest running generation, and support is not going to fully stop as long as the figure is still around. It's always a very gradual transition.

UserPostedImage
DAZ STUDIO USER SINCE 2006
ZenMaster3D  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 13, 2023 9:59:31 AM(UTC)
ZenMaster3D

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 97 post(s)

Not a vendor here but an enthusiastic artist, and well...  The only thing I've done with G9 so far was to check that I could GoZ it over into ZBrush, I also set up a template for it in Substance Painter and that's about it. All meant as a staging ground to build my own characters and assets if I want to.

In fact, because of the above I'm even tempted to argue that G9 can also be considered a bit of a step backwards. I mean, its surfaces have the same basis as G8 ("PBR") but a basic G8 character actually provides you with a blank canvas to work on: there's actually a basic skin surface to build upon. Not so with G9. Yet despite that it's a lot more resource intensive.

As for assets and all...  I fail to see the alleged advantages of G9 here, other than of course it being the latest sales model. I mean, I get the advantage of using a solo base model, but then again that's why I never really stopped using Genesis sporadically (the original character?). But right now I can't help get the impression that the main reason they went for this was to somewhat hinder backwards compatibility. I can easily use G1 assets on G8, but using G8 assets on G9 more than often poses a bit of an issue.

All in all, I'm not really a big fan and therefor I've heavily expanded on my G1, G3 and G8 assets which got some insane discounts over the last years. Not planning to upgrade anytime soon :)

(edit)

Originally Posted by: Seven-ol Go to Quoted Post

Daz is a storefront, so their main interest is sales and revenue. So if it sells, they'll sell it ;)  I mean, they also never stopped selling Genesis and/or Genesis 3 assets to this very same day (time of wriring).

Edited by user Saturday, May 13, 2023 10:04:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified