Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
matt  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2020 2:55:10 PM(UTC)
matt

Was thanked: 315 time(s) in 212 post(s)

This script has me rather flummoxed. It works great when I use it to convert a store-bought character to G8, when that character has a morph slider that dials in their look, but when I try to use it to convert one of my own custom characters, it goes through all of the motions, taking 30-40 minutes to do its thing, then outputs...an unmorphed G8F with the new textures and nothing else. 

The only reason I picked this pack up was to convert my own characters. I never, and I mean NEVER...use an out of the box character. All of my girls and guys are custom, using a morph here and a morph there from many different packages to get a unique look. I'd love to move my G3 girls to G8, and I figured this would do it. Not so, and I can only assume I'm skipping a step.

Has anyone here had luck transferring a G3 custom character, i.e. a character that you'd built yourself that does NOT have an FBM slider, over to G8? If so, what did you do to make it happen? Do I have to create an FBM? I have no idea how to actually do that. I'm loathe to ask this over at DAZ, their forums can be a bit...haughty.

Hoping that one of the good people here has some insight. :)

haruchai  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 10:50:35 AM(UTC)
haruchai

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I have this product, haven't used it yet but have used the other scripts by the same vendor without issue.

Just to check a couple of things before I try and replicate your experience. Are you using the Convert Scene Character script rather than the Character Converter script? According to the manual this script does what you are looking for it to do and creates a single morph dial for the new character. It does not create a character preset (in bold in the manual). It should be simple to save a shaping preset or character preset after dialling in the morph. The morph is named during the conversion process, the bottom of the 3 boxes, called Character Name. Whatever you type in there should appear in Genesis 8, after a reload of course.

Hope this helps, if not I'll run a test and see if I can get it to work.
dsv4600  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 11:08:11 AM(UTC)
dsv4600

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 31 post(s)

I used this product just a few days ago to convert some of my characters, but I immediately created new FBMs using the Export/Morph Loader Pro route. I had to look back over my notes to see what I discovered:

In the figure's Parameters, look in Actor/People. You should find a FBM; something like CTRL-RSC-XXXX where XXXX is the name of the character. It should be dialled to 100%. If not, dial it up and see if your character shape appears.

matt  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 3:09:45 PM(UTC)
matt

Thanks for the replies, I'll give your suggestions a shot.

Kgpx  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 4:38:10 PM(UTC)
Kgpx

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I had a hard time making this work, heads transferred fine but there was a strange warp on the shoulderas and hip region. Meanwhile I imagine it could have something to do with not alligning rigging to shape or ERC freeze. Anyway, I have had very good results by using the newer Xtransfer by Zev0 and additionally (if not mainly) following this incredible helpful video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-n3lafUEGg&t=483s

May work equally well for RSSY's script and certinly worth a try

dsv4600  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2020 1:07:17 AM(UTC)
dsv4600

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Just to clarify my earlier reply: when I say that I immediately created a Full Body Morph, I don't mean that the converter didn't work. In fact, I have successfully converted three characters now. I created the FBM by exporting the newly morphed mesh then re-importing using the Morph Loader Pro facility. This is because I made a few tweaks to the mesh to improve upon the conversion.

The only issue that I encountered related to the eyes. If the area around the eyes is heavily morphed, then the eyes themselves can become distorted, resulting in some truly horrible up close results. There is a setting that compensates for this (read the supplied user guide), but I used a very handy product available at DAZ called Shape Splitter, which allows you to effectively slice out parts of a morph to exclude, say, the eyes. This was why I ended up doing my own FBMs.

In fact, the conversions that I did went all the way from Victoria 4, and in one case, Stephanie Petite 3. So the route was: SP3/V4 Character -> Dimension 3D's Generation X2 -> G3F -> Riversoft's G3F to G8F Converter -> G8F.

Along the way I had to use Blacksmith 3D's Texture Converter to convert the maps to the new format used by G3F and beyond.

So, my assessment of the tool: It works very well, but it may not be a total solution depending on the starting point. You'll probably end up doing some tweaking … but that's a good thing, because it's fun, and I learned a lot about creating and saving morphs in DS this way. File -> Save As -> Support Assets -> Morph Asset is your friend, but you may want to pick up Dimension 3D's DSON Editor so that you can more easily change things like the morph name and where it appears in the figure's hierarchy.
matt  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2020 8:16:18 PM(UTC)
matt

Well, success! I did it again using the 'convert scene character' script, and got a good result. The face wasn't exact, but a little fiddling, and I couldn't see a difference any longer. I appreciate all of the replies and suggestions.

DrewaRendr  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2020 4:29:36 AM(UTC)
DrewaRendr

Convert scene character is the best option when the default script runs into issues , which will happen, not all models are created using the same process and 3d software.