Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bhalthazar  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2022 11:49:59 PM(UTC)
Bhalthazar

I bought the Golden Palace product. I just got DAZ3D yesterday. I know nothing about how to install 3rd party items in DAZ3D. I followed the PDF as well as I could because it's outdated and uses pathways and descriptions that aren't there. It is very confusing as to how to access the item. I install Golden Palace where it says, but the PDF says it has to be EXACTLY like in the zip file, which I do. But then when I call it up in DAZ3D, I get error message that it can't find a few things the the item on the model is a big block of silver. Is a waste of 13-15 bucks, so not a really big deal, but it will keep me from ever buying anything that isn't on the DAZ store again. I was hoping to get several products, and was just trying this one out to determine how hard/easy it is. Well it becomes too confusing and difficult, so no more buying on Renderotica again.

TheBitterGent  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2022 3:46:34 AM(UTC)
TheBitterGent

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 112 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Bhalthazar Go to Quoted Post

I bought the Golden Palace product. I just got DAZ3D yesterday. I know nothing about how to install 3rd party items in DAZ3D. I followed the PDF as well as I could because it's outdated and uses pathways and descriptions that aren't there. It is very confusing as to how to access the item. I install Golden Palace where it says, but the PDF says it has to be EXACTLY like in the zip file, which I do. But then when I call it up in DAZ3D, I get error message that it can't find a few things the the item on the model is a big block of silver. Is a waste of 13-15 bucks, so not a really big deal, but it will keep me from ever buying anything that isn't on the DAZ store again. I was hoping to get several products, and was just trying this one out to determine how hard/easy it is. Well it becomes too confusing and difficult, so no more buying on Renderotica again.

PC Windows

Find your Content Library easily by opening Daz Studio clicking on the "Content Library" Tab, Select "Daz Studio Formats", then right click "My Daz 3D Library", click "Browse to Folder Location" in the drop down menu.

In your "My Daz 3D Library" folder there are 3 folders to check for (data, People, Runtime).

Keep that open and in another separate File Explorer window go to your download location where you downloaded the .zip compressed folder.

Extract the folders contents from the zip folder (ie: data, People, Runtime), then add those extracted folders to your "My Daz 3D Library" by moving them via drag n drop or duplicating with copy paste (carefully to make sure your not dropping them in a subfolder) and merge folders with the existing data, People, Runtime folders.

THAT'S IT!

Start Daz Studio / Restart if already open (as to save you from a Refresh tutorial right now)

Find your content under the Content Library tab / Daz Formats / My Daz 3D Library/ People / Genesis 8 Female / Anatomy / Golden Palace v2

DONE!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Just gotta extract and put the main Folder Files in the right place. (Note: Some Artist will label the library folder as My Library and while any of those 2 Library folders will work I personally recommend Installing to "My Daz 3D Library" to keep all installed items together and your own personally saved items isolated in the "My Library".)

Takes a little bit of time to get comfortable with the File system, but necessary. (otherwise forget freebies or ANY content from anywhere but Daz) 

Very Basic File Rundown:

My Daz 3D Library and My Library (where Daz Studio loads content from)

- *data (tells Daz Studio how to form an object)

- Documentation (legal jargon, licenses info, read mes, instructional, text files)

- Environments, People, Props, Scripts .... (shows the user facing files, links to data and runtime to use items)

- *Runtime (has the materials UV maps and Templates to color items, archives outdated Poser Items)

*data and Runtime folder files can not move within or outside the Library or be renamed or it will break the content links. Other user files can move and be renamed, but still at the risk of loosing meta data. (meta data drives Smart Content location, Smart content location is not always supported hence why the Content Tab is a better method to find installed products' content)   

thanks 3 users thanked TheBitterGent for this useful post.
BrimstoneOmega on 7/13/2022(UTC), Meipe on 7/13/2022(UTC), Bhalthazar on 7/14/2022(UTC)
Bhalthazar  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2022 6:45:15 PM(UTC)
Bhalthazar

Thank you, that helped. I also found a quick no-nonsense video on youtube that helped as well. I got Golden Palace installed and it works. Awesome. With that I felt much more confident to purchase other items. I then purchased the male genitalia and went to install it in the exact same way I did with the female. I opened Daz3D and it's nowhere to be found. Not in the content folder along with the Golden Palace. I couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe the problem is I also bought the male genitalia for female and installed that as well and it had some overwrite problems? In any case, neither of them are in any folder I can find. Perhaps it just wasn't meant for me to start this hobby. Even though I got Golden Palace to work, I now have absolute zero confidence in anything third party for Daz3D to ever work as I just can't figure it out. I just wish there was a self installer.
TheBitterGent  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2022 2:18:29 AM(UTC)
TheBitterGent

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Glad it helped.

Be sure you're installing content to your content library where Daz searches (I believe the default is under public documents, where you right clicked and browsed to folder) not the Programs files DS runs from in C: Programs. Also make sure you are looking for it in the correct subfolders of Daz Formats in the Content Library Tab in DS.

Also note content for different Generations and Genders will be split under those Figures in People (*or only listed in poser format runtimes if very old) the people files in the zip will have the install path as well when an artist has a vanity folder in the path. (ie: People / Genesis 8 Male / Anatomy / Artists Name / Product). I still check back to zips for path info sometimes. IF its installed properly in the Library you can do a file search in DS as well to help locate your content, and if it has be categorized you can search by category. Sometimes the products meta data is set up to be found with the alphabetical products list as well but not often with 3rd party items as its a pain in the ass for artist with little return on added value.

If your not able to muscle through learning the file system then sadly but honestly perhaps this (even just as) hobby is not. This is week one and its going to get more a lot more complicated from there. Like just being able to open a box of crayons, let alone draw a picture, to then cut into a puzzle, then pack in a box. You have to NEED it more than even want it. While I feel art and expression should be encouraged. It is also a competitive market out here, and perhaps you have better talents elsewhere for you to offer to the world. Its like hurdles you jump one, run for a bit then jump another, run more, then the hurdles get bigger.

Rarely are installer files ever included as people set there libraries up in different configurations across multiple drives. There aren't any installers for your own custom items outside model import, but that's much later. Once you're comfortable with the file system you can use 7-Zip to speed the install process, but learning the file system is pretty paramount as it will help you to debug and customize content down the line. This is the ABCs of literally what becomes theoretical physics.

You COULD get everything from Daz. Its gonna be hella expensive, your work wont be very original as everyone gets familiar with the default Daz content rather quickly, and Daz doesn't even offer adult content. Soooo.

I guess good luck in any case.