Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bitch.in.heat  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 5, 2019 1:26:53 PM(UTC)
bitch.in.heat

Might be a bit of a weird question, but... I have a scene that I rendered with a given resolution, it took about 3 hours and 20 minutes to complete, now I'd like to render it in a resolution that's twice of the test render, so my question is... does it take twice as long to render it in twice the resolution or how does resolution and time to render scale? I only ask cause I only have one computer and  if it takes close to seven hours I might as well render it while I'm not home or if it takes even longer than seven hours perhaps I should consider a different resolution, but I don't want to waste seven hours only to cancel the render either. Using Daz Studio I might add. 

BrotherHades  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2019 5:16:15 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 240 post(s)

My guess would be that time would scale by 4 times with doubling the dimensions. As an example go from an 8"x10" print and double its size to 16"x20" you end up with four times the surface area of the 8"x10"

thanks 1 user thanked BrotherHades for this useful post.
bitch.in.heat on 7/10/2019(UTC)
contedesfees  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2019 8:46:56 AM(UTC)
contedesfees

Was thanked: 547 time(s) in 528 post(s)

I would recommend doing some research at the DAZ3D web site forums for advice on this matter. I'll bet there are detailed discussions about rendering in DAZ Studio. It's worth a look-see.

Live long and render
Zaavaleta  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2019 7:27:39 PM(UTC)
Zaavaleta

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 63 post(s)

A lot of it will depend on your GPU and system. It's true that double the resolution is 4 times as many pixels, but it shouldn't take 4 times as long to render.

You could experiment with a simple scene. Try just one figure with no background, hopefully something that can render in about 5 minutes or so. Then double the resolution and see how long it takes. That'll give you a rough idea of what to expect.

GTA345  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 5:34:07 AM(UTC)
GTA345

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 32 post(s)
DAZ is designed with nvidia graphic cards in mind. With a nvidia card and the newest updates, a seven hour render should be less then one hour.
I don't know what graphics card you have or if it is a laptop with a chip set.
thanks 1 user thanked GTA345 for this useful post.
cheesymaid  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:16:27 PM(UTC)
cheesymaid

Was thanked: 219 time(s) in 183 post(s)
The oversampling method is a good option to reduce render time, but I don't think there's a science to the process. There's so much variability in computer processing. The main thing is to get into that one standard deviation band where you get the most productive sample for the rendering camera's eye.

If you're not getting into the productive sweet spot for your render, then there's less benefit to that practice.

The Daz forum also has a software denoising trick that doesn't require nVidia processing. Basically, it's a post render method to take out the grain from an image. It's Intel code, I think, and is all through the processor. If I remember, I'll post some before and after images to show what it does. It's a very powerful and cool trick, and the overhead cost is minimal. A potato-level computer can handle it.

My three most recent images all used the Intel denoiser to some degree, although I also do a lot of past work now.
thanks 1 user thanked cheesymaid for this useful post.
cheesymaid  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:33:39 PM(UTC)
cheesymaid

So intel made this "AI" denoiser, and released it as FOSS. It's on github for people who want to check it out.

Yeah, you can oversample and do the anti-aliasing trick by shrinking the image, but that means you need to get into enough of a productive render space as possible.
The AI denoiser from Intel works on the whole image and it's fast. You need enough of a sample (again) for it to do the work, but it's almost like magic.

I've attached an example. Raw Iray output on the Right side, AI-denoised output on the Left.

Here's the whole thread in Daz to learn more:
https://www.daz3d.com/fo...-time-nvidia-not-reqd/p1

Here's an interface in Daz to run it as a script:
https://www.daz3d.com/fo...comfort-of-daz-studio/p1

I actually run it as a batch file, but it's the same code underneath.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 9, 2019 11:33:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: one more file

cheesymaid attached the following image(s):
denoising example.jpg
thanks 2 users thanked cheesymaid for this useful post.
bitch.in.heat on 7/10/2019(UTC), jim-1971 on 7/22/2019(UTC)
bitch.in.heat  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 3:56:23 AM(UTC)
bitch.in.heat

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions, I really appreciate them (and I didn't notice them until now). I did some experimentation with resolution and render quality. Doubling the resolution resulted in about 4 times the render time so I came to the conclusion that I'll just hold off a bit, as I was thinking about getting a new graphics card in September so I guess I will get an nVidia card then, until then I guess I'll just read up on the links you posted. As for my system, it's a desktop with a Ryzen 1700 and an RX480. Once again, thanks for the suggestions :)

bitch.in.heat  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 8:30:17 AM(UTC)
bitch.in.heat

On the topic of new video cards, how much does the amount of VRAM matter and what does it affect when rendering?

cheesymaid  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 11:22:20 AM(UTC)
cheesymaid

The video card memory needs to contain all the contents of the thing you're trying to process into an image. Otherwise, it's not going to work inside the card, and it'll go to CPU processing for the render, as I understand it. So if you have a 16gb card and daz needs 18gb to run your thing? It's not going to render on the card.

Scripts to reduce image map size for things in the background should help with the proliferation of 4k and higher texture resolution. Keep 4k+ where you want it, and shrink the other maps where you don't need it. There is at least one product for that on the daz store.
thanks 1 user thanked cheesymaid for this useful post.
bitch.in.heat  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 2:53:17 PM(UTC)
bitch.in.heat

Originally Posted by: cheesymaid Go to Quoted Post
The video card memory needs to contain all the contents of the thing you're trying to process into an image. Otherwise, it's not going to work inside the card, and it'll go to CPU processing for the render, as I understand it. So if you have a 16gb card and daz needs 18gb to run your thing? It's not going to render on the card.

Scripts to reduce image map size for things in the background should help with the proliferation of 4k and higher texture resolution. Keep 4k+ where you want it, and shrink the other maps where you don't need it. There is at least one product for that on the daz store.

Oh, so it won't render on the card at all if it exceeds the amount of VRAM or is it just that which exceeds that won't render on the card? If only parts render on the card it might still be faster than rendering the entire thing on the CPU though. 

I might have to look up that script, sounds quite useful. Thanks a lot! :)

BrimstoneOmega  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 5:09:12 PM(UTC)
BrimstoneOmega

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 86 post(s)
If you run out of VRAM then the whole scne will fall back to the CPU for rendering. Try to get an 8GB or more card, you can get by with less, but a few hair props and a character or two will populate the VRAM of a 4 gig card rather quickly.
cheesymaid  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 9:56:49 PM(UTC)
cheesymaid

A couple products to consider for managing memory prior to hitting your graphics card... these are the scripts I'm talking about.

https://www.daz3d.com/iray-memory-assistant

https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

Scene Optimizer is nice in that it'll downscale the image maps that you don't want to keep high res.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 10, 2019 9:59:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Why you make me code HTML?! The links are now links.