Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
matt  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2023 10:27:52 PM(UTC)
matt

Was thanked: 312 time(s) in 211 post(s)

I'll get straight to it: if you're not running Windows 10 at a minimum, do not upgrade to Studio 4.22. It requires Nvidia drivers that will only work with Windows 10 or higher(no idea about MAC). I'm still running Windows 7 because I'm stubborn like that, I figure a few of you may be as well.

4.22 starts, it runs, you can load figures, props, poses...but you can't render with Iray. It simply will not do it. Daz is being gracious about it and sent me a backdated file to reinstall 4.21, but I torpedoed any possibility of rendering over my weekend because of this. As is typical, there was no warning or popup from Daz about compatibility, and their forums are abuzz with complaints about this. I hadn't seen anything here, which is the only forum I care to post in, so I figured I'd mention it. :)

thanks 3 users thanked matt for this useful post.
Pushee-Ri on 11/9/2023(UTC), Meipe on 11/9/2023(UTC), Twisted_Pencil on 11/9/2023(UTC)
Pushee-Ri  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 9, 2023 1:47:08 AM(UTC)
Pushee-Ri

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 168 post(s)
Thank you for the hint! I had already read elsewhere about the DAZ mess of the new version - and will definitely NOT install it. The botched G9 crap will last for a few years even without it ;-)
aiwoiut  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 9, 2023 7:16:16 AM(UTC)
aiwoiut

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Oh dear. Using WIndows 10 this kinda passed me by, but I'm about to update drivers to my Nvidia card again, because for some reason at times the image of the program window compressed leftward to about two thirds for just a few seconds.

All that since I updated drivers a few weeks ago and installed DAZ 4.22 at the same time. Weird. Other than that no major problems yet. Fingers crossed. Windows 10 is rather mature by now, but who wants to setup their system again.
Zeppelin  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 9, 2023 11:58:06 AM(UTC)
Zeppelin

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 95 post(s)
I've experienced similar problems on a Mac upgrading to previous versions. The render engine simply stops. The log gives you a reason, but it does not let you know how to overcome the problem. The Daz forums and help blogs offer a lot of opinions, but major problems remain unsolved. If many of us had known how fickle the program is, all of the investment in the library of objects, settings, morphs, hair, scenes, etc. are rendered inoperable by an upgrade, and the people at DAZ seem to give little warning or help afterwards, many of us would have seriously reconsidered investing so heavily in a wonky program.

I just don't upgrade any more. You never know when the whole thing might explode on you. And I see little benefit to upgrading to G9. I can't tell the difference between 8.1 and 9 in anyone's renders. the program and its settings keep getting more bloated with each supposed "improvement."
matt  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 9, 2023 9:43:30 PM(UTC)
matt

An OS upgrade and newer hardware has been long overdue for me, but like I said I'm stubborn and it's been working just fine so I left it alone. Well...I left it alone for too long. If I'd upgraded to Windows 10 when it was free a while back I wouldn't be making this post. Now, I have to upgrade to 11 and...my motherboard won't support it! Something about PCM2.0 or some shit but it doesn't matter. I bought an Nvidia RTX 4090 a while back and it's just sitting on a shelf right now because it's PCI 4.0 and my mobo is 3.0. Yes, it will run but not optimally. Also, the RTX requires a minimum 1000W power supply, mine is an 850W. So now, I have a new graphics card, but I need a new mobo, power supply, and OS. Going that far, I may as well get new system RAM, I'm thinking 64GB minimum. My hard drives are all at least 12 years old, and drives are pretty cheap right now, so I'll be doing that too. 

Long story short, Matt's building a new PC and Daz made me do it. 

5200north  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 11, 2023 10:18:41 PM(UTC)
5200north

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Originally Posted by: matt Go to Quoted Post

I'll get straight to it: if you're not running Windows 10 at a minimum, do not upgrade to Studio 4.22. It requires Nvidia drivers that will only work with Windows 10 or higher(no idea about MAC). I'm still running Windows 7 because I'm stubborn like that, I figure a few of you may be as well.

4.22 starts, it runs, you can load figures, props, poses...but you can't render with Iray. It simply will not do it. Daz is being gracious about it and sent me a backdated file to reinstall 4.21, but I torpedoed any possibility of rendering over my weekend because of this. As is typical, there was no warning or popup from Daz about compatibility, and their forums are abuzz with complaints about this. I hadn't seen anything here, which is the only forum I care to post in, so I figured I'd mention it. :)

I'm curious, why not update to windows 10 or 11?

I built my PC during the pandemic and i built with using daz3d most of the time, but i'm on windows 11 and it's been fine. No OS is perfect but i'm just curious why you are still using windows 7.

johnny

matt  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2023 9:42:35 AM(UTC)
matt

Originally Posted by: 5200north Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: matt Go to Quoted Post

I'm curious, why not update to windows 10 or 11?

I built my PC during the pandemic and i built with using daz3d most of the time, but i'm on windows 11 and it's been fine. No OS is perfect but i'm just curious why you are still using windows 7.

johnny

Take a look at my previous post. Windows 11 required a mobo that has PCM2.0 capability, mine doesn't. Windows 10 is impossible to find, at least as far as I looked. So, my only option is to build a new machine to run 4.22. I backgraded to 4.21 for now. I've been planning on building a new machine anyway, this is just a catalyst to get that going. 

aiwoiut  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2023 3:58:36 PM(UTC)
aiwoiut

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Sometimes you need to activate the required trusted computing bit that Windows 11 required, as I would need to on my board.
matt  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2023 6:23:08 PM(UTC)
matt

Originally Posted by: aiwoiut Go to Quoted Post
Sometimes you need to activate the required trusted computing bit that Windows 11 required, as I would need to on my board.

My board is at LEAST 13 years old. It does not have PCM2.0, I checked, most vigorously.