Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Eltuco  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2023 12:31:35 PM(UTC)
Eltuco

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 40 post(s)

This problem has been previously encountered by others, but is rather new to me with a few exceptions. All of the add-on gan and breast sets seem to be having problems with shells, even when apples to a fresh character with no other potentially conflicting shells. Some of the old tricks work such as eliminating added textures in Parameters, but not consistently. My drivers are current as is my version of DAZ. Again, this is new - most of the products such as Breastacular, HDNipples. New Gens, GP, DBXX, etc. performed almost flawlessly before.... 

Are there scripts available, or is there another solution?

Thanks in advance! 

BrotherHades  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2023 8:11:20 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 238 post(s)

There are shell fix scripts included with most of Meipe's and many other vendors grafts with shells, however as the issue is how Daz Studio applies surfaces to shells. By default Daz Studio adds the surfaces of figure and all grafts attached to figure, but Daz's use of Geo Shells and a lot of Vendor's usage of shells differ, Daz has pointed out there should be one shell and one shell only for Base figure and all grafts. Most Vendors are including shells/shell presets for each graft, and as the shells stack and Daz Studio adds graft surfaces on each and every shell it requires, running a shell fix script on each and every shell to turn off the extra surfaces it is adding, also the more shells included the more offset clashes you'll have as well as all the shells are loading in at same offset distance so it causes Mesh Collisions between shells (Often shows up as black lines on the figure, where the shells surfaces issue shows as white where there isn't surface information on the shell)  

However as long as Daz's stance is the geo shells are working as intended, there won't be a fix, because to them there is nothing to fix. It is the vendors that are using the shells wrong and Daz has said they have no intention to fix what they aren't seeing as an issue.

So really options are running shell fix scripts on every shell in the scene to turn off the "extra surfaces" on that particular shell, or manually going into each and every shell and turning off the "extra surfaces"

Eltuco  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2023 9:02:00 AM(UTC)
Eltuco

Thanks Brothewerhades - the frustrating thing is that most of the vendor products worked with very little conflict until a week or so ago.Ii saw your rep ly to a similar question from some time ago and have been turning off extra textures to some success but not entirely as the ability to do so varies. I'll keep slugging along and be more judicious with applied grafts :)

Thanks!
BrotherHades  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2023 11:44:13 AM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 238 post(s)
Did you update Daz Studio recently? Or update your graphics drivers recently?

Either being updated, can cause issues, if something was changed in how certain settings are being read. I know a recent Nvidia driver update, caused issues with dForce simulations freezing or crashing Daz Studio. (Which Nvidia fixed the drivers rather quickly once the issues were reported to them) So if you updated drivers just before the issues appeared it could be something was changed in the drivers in how it reads shells in Daz Studio, or something similar.
Eltuco  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2023 9:20:56 PM(UTC)
Eltuco

Hi Brotherhades. I updated DAZ relatively recently and the Nvidia drivers even more recently thinking it might solve or partly alleviate the issue. it didn't. Quite a shame as the products have been performing well for years, and some, like the dbxx shell won't play at all, even when removing unwanted textures in Parameters. I find myself setting up scenes to avoid a angles or substituting other grafts. Hate to go backward in drivers.
TheBitterGent  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2023 3:24:37 AM(UTC)
TheBitterGent

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 112 post(s)
You're not in Geometry Editor are you?
Posting a pic might help narrow the cause.
thanks 1 user thanked TheBitterGent for this useful post.
Eltuco on 1/21/2023(UTC)
SnarltheWerewolf  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2023 10:49:25 AM(UTC)
SnarltheWerewolf

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Daz updates have been stable in the past, but after 4.16 more seems to be broken or changed than fixed with each new version. Don't take it on good faith anymore that a new beta or pro version won't mack up your scenes.

I highly recommend that you do manual installs of new betas and pro versions. Daz doesn't need to launch from a fixed directory, so you can put them in their own directory under the "Daz 3D" folder.

Just go to DIM and the "Ready to Download" tab, uncheck "install after download" and then download the new beta or pro version. After that, go into where you have DIM configured to download package content (you can check your settings, basic settings in DIM to see what that is. It's listed under "Package Archive").

Then cut/paste that archive file out of the Package Archive and into a different folder and then drag the content into a new folder in your Daz program path. I usually make a new folder for each version with the version number "Daz beta 42008" etc. under the "Program Files/
Daz 3D" folder.

Then once it launches, just pin it to the taskbar.
thanks 1 user thanked SnarltheWerewolf for this useful post.
Eltuco on 1/21/2023(UTC)
Eltuco  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2023 7:43:15 PM(UTC)
Eltuco

Hi. Thanks Snart - seems like a lot to remedy an issue that arguably shouldn't exist. Shame we can't install older versions of DAZ Guessing some of this has to do with G9 and associated machinations......for the immediate future I'll be using work a for scenes.
SnarltheWerewolf  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2023 1:46:28 PM(UTC)
SnarltheWerewolf

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I hear yah. It sucks that over the past couple of years just as much stuff gets broken as it does fixed when they release something new. And with Daz making you jump through hoops to get older versions, it just makes sense to install it to another place so you don't end up nerfing something with a new version :-/ If you think we have it bad, you should see the complaints of the poor people who animate in Daz.