Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Valshea  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2022 5:50:19 PM(UTC)
Valshea

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hi all;

I'm Valshea, and I've been away from the rendering world for almost a decade, but I'm slowly beginning to dip my toe back in. Haven't made anything yet (my ancient hard drive with all my old files on it is probably so out of date it would be an embarrassment to try and create something) but I'm starting to nose around again. 

Where would the best place to start again as a creator be? Both in terms of software and figures - my last base purchase was Victoria 3, to give you a clue how long I've been out of the game.

thanks 1 user thanked Valshea for this useful post.
ZenMaster3D on 12/23/2022(UTC)
Twisted_Pencil  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2022 7:55:17 PM(UTC)
Twisted_Pencil

Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 82 post(s)

Hi and welcome back.

We had a discussion a short while ago on the topic of Poser vs DAZ Studio and though there is nothing wrong with Poser if it suits your artistic needs the general consensus seems to be DS is the way forward particularly if you are going to invest the effort into developing content.

As for figures Genesis 9 has just come out so that will be the future but early days for supported products yet. Genesis 8 / 8.1 is well supported and will likely continue to be so for a while.

I'm just here by mistake, for a friend, for science... anyway you can't prove nuffin'.
G315t  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2022 7:03:13 AM(UTC)
G315t

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Hello Valshea. DAZ Studio is probaply the better bet if you have to learn the software after a long hiatus anyway. I'm also an old Poser user and was also away for a very long time. (V4 for me) I'm a bit sad that Poser went down the way it is but you can check out the discussion about that yourself.

For the start I would suggest to get the free Genesis 8 Starter and play around in DAZ Studio with it. And don't buy too much additional stuff until you know what you will use it for. Especially because DAZ just released the next Generation of models with Genesis 9. But that demands high end hardware and there is not much stuff available yet because it basicaly just released a few days ago.
thanks 1 user thanked G315t for this useful post.
Valshea  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2022 9:37:40 AM(UTC)
Valshea

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks both! It looks like DAZ is going to be my go to
Blir  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2022 10:00:53 AM(UTC)
Blir

Was thanked: 209 time(s) in 179 post(s)

Poser user here.  Before you abandon Poser, be sure to read through the postings on this site detailing the glitches and the "How do I do this with DAZ?" type questions and, frankly, baffling answers.  From where I sit, the learning curve from Poser to DAZ and getting stuff to work in DAZ seems pretty steep.

thanks 1 user thanked Blir for this useful post.