Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Raindrops400  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2022 1:24:07 AM(UTC)
Raindrops400

I'm very new to Daz so sorry if this is obvious

I'm trying to add nipple piercings (specifically barbells) to a character who uses the Breastacular graft, but every time I add any kind of piercing it either disappears into the breast, or it clips weirdly

And even if I manually pose it to properly fit the nipple, if I apply any kind of pose it'll be off again

Is there any way to do this better, or am I stuck manually placing the piercings with every pose?

BrotherHades  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2022 5:49:47 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 240 post(s)

Meipe has the Milkaiser expansion for Breastacular that includes some piercing options. I can't think of any others off the top of my head, I can think of some for the various gens out there, but not coming up with any nipple piercings specifically for Breastacular other than the ones in Milkaiser.

Other wise the problem with piercings is they work best as props rather than conforming figures (You make piercings conforming and they will distort as they try to match the morphs of the figure they're conformed to) As props even if they are smart props they are set to follow the bones they are parented to,(Usually the chest for piercings) not the outer mesh which is what you are morphing, so the issue is the prop gets positioned and parented to the chest of usually the default figure, now the user comes along and morphs the figure which moves the mesh, but the piercings are going to stay in place as they are parented to the chest bone. So really most piercings will require readjustments after morphing or posing as for example with the G8F there are the extra movement zones for the pectorals, and since most piercings will be parented to the chest, it isn't going to take movement of the pectorals or any movements of the graft in this case into account, it is just going to keep the piercing x distance from the parent point and move to follow the parent point. And even if the pectorals are there and you parent to them if possible you will still run into problems as even though they are closer to to the nipples. Even best case scenario and you have the piercing prop parented to the nipple if possible, there is still going to have to be adjustments with each different nipple morph used as like was said earlier the prop would be parented to the nipple and would follow the bone of the nipples and not the morphs.

The only exception I can think of is when a vendor includes a pose preset to adjust the piercings to match a certain morph, but even then it is adjusted to the base morph and not keyed to follow movement of the aforementioned pectoral or movement zones of the graft that may have been added. 

So overall yes in most cases you are going to have to make adjustments to the final positioning of the piercings.

thanks 1 user thanked BrotherHades for this useful post.
Raindrops400 on 4/9/2022(UTC)
matt  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2022 7:45:34 PM(UTC)
matt

Was thanked: 315 time(s) in 212 post(s)

What BrotherHades said is correct when it comes to parenting a prop, but parenting is not the best way to do a piercing. What you really want in this case to keep the piercing in place is a rigid follow node.

Take a look at this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CJWelfIMxI&t=196s

It does take a little time to set up, but it's not bad. The system isn't perfect and extreme movements or poses can cause them to shift. But, they will stay in place for the most part. 

If for some reason the mods decide to delete my link, search youtube for daz rigid follow node. There's more than one video on how to set them up.

thanks 3 users thanked matt for this useful post.
BrotherHades on 4/9/2022(UTC), Raindrops400 on 4/10/2022(UTC), Bumper2 on 4/13/2022(UTC)
BrotherHades  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2022 8:11:12 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 240 post(s)

Originally Posted by: matt Go to Quoted Post

What BrotherHades said is correct when it comes to parenting a prop, but parenting is not the best way to do a piercing. What you really want in this case to keep the piercing in place is a rigid follow node.

Take a look at this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CJWelfIMxI&t=196s

It does take a little time to set up, but it's not bad. The system isn't perfect and extreme movements or poses can cause them to shift. But, they will stay in place for the most part. 

If for some reason the mods decide to delete my link, search youtube for daz rigid follow node. There's more than one video on how to set them up.

I didn't even know about rigid follow nodes. I wonder how many vendors also don't know about them? As most props I'm still seeing use of the old parenting system, or making it conforming, which like I pointed out earlier in Daz Studio the default is to auto morph conformed items, which will often cause distortion, where parenting didn't. I will have to look into this option.  

matt  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2022 9:13:58 AM(UTC)
matt

Was thanked: 315 time(s) in 212 post(s)

Originally Posted by: BrotherHades Go to Quoted Post

I didn't even know about rigid follow nodes. I wonder how many vendors also don't know about them? As most props I'm still seeing use of the old parenting system, or making it conforming, which like I pointed out earlier in Daz Studio the default is to auto morph conformed items, which will often cause distortion, where parenting didn't. I will have to look into this option.  

This is one of the reasons that I wish Studio came with at least a rudimentary users guide, but for free software I suppose that's asking a lot. I've been using Studio for six years after 16 years of Poser, and I'm still learning, LOL.

But yes, rigid follow nodes are a pretty slick way of getting a prop to "stick" to a specific piece of the mesh as opposed to a rigging bone. The best advice I can give for best results is to create them and place your props after you're done morphing and shaping the figure. That way, the position will be the default rather than calculated.

cheesymaid  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2022 10:45:04 AM(UTC)
cheesymaid

Was thanked: 219 time(s) in 183 post(s)

Nipple Rings are but one use... but, yes, Rigid Follow Nodes are super useful.

If you want to see another use (a belt buckle, to avoid deforming metal when you bend the body), here's a video by Mada:
https://youtu.be/wp4x6DmDfc8

(Mada's channel has a number of useful Daz videos since she is a pretty prolific PA at the Daz store.)

Some PAs make extensive use of Rigid Follow Nodes for things like armor, where you don't want deformation. It's very clever because, as said, Daz doesn't exactly come with a manual.

thanks 1 user thanked cheesymaid for this useful post.
matt on 4/11/2022(UTC)
Thunder-3D  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2022 11:21:27 AM(UTC)
Thunder-3D

Was thanked: 238 time(s) in 159 post(s)

So sorry I just realized this is in my PS forum. This is actually a Meipe product, I just make the poses :)

I think Meipe added several nipple peircings in Milkaiser addon, you can also check that out :)

thanks 1 user thanked Thunder-3D for this useful post.
ContentModerator on 4/14/2022(UTC)