Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ebonix115  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 8:18:19 PM(UTC)
Ebonix115

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 53 post(s)

I posted this somewhere else, and got some solutions from other people, but want to see what you all have to say about this. 

So recently I rendered a scene that was particularly great, and moved on to the next one. However, when I try to render it, I get the fatal error crash and it closes out. I was under the impression that this was only the case when you ran out of ram. This was the case with my last computer, but then when I upgraded to a new computer, this was no longer the issue. Now with a much nicer scene, I'm having this same issue. I'm planning to take my PC to Best Buy to get another 8 GB DDR4 ram stick, preferably the same brand (as I've been told by my supervisor). I was wondering if there was anything else that could be causing this.

I chose to expand the error/fatal error message and take a look at what it all said. I don't really understand much of it, but I figured I'd post it here so people can see just in case someone knows what this stuff means. When I hit "Save" for the error log for the crash, it created a zip folder that held 3 items. 

cloudLog.txt

crashdump. dmp

errorlog.xml

But to be clear - 

Yes, I could still render smaller scene just fine. 

Yes, I tried closing it out and trying again (didn't work)

Yes, I ran a RAM clearing program to clear out the RAM to try and render the same image (didn't work)

Yes, I could still use IRAY view to veiw the rendered version of the images.

Yes, I tried to restart the computer (doesn't do anything) 

Yes, I tried adjusting the subD levels of the chracters to make the scene easier to render (suggestion of someone else, didn't work)

No, I couldn't view the larger scene in IRAY view, it would crash. 

No, I haven't installed any new program that would cause this (I didn't think this would be relevant, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.) 

Thankss head of time! 

Hellboy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2021 4:10:57 AM(UTC)
Hellboy

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 77 post(s)

I found it weird because when I go overboard with my scenes and won't fit in the VRAM, the render window will just go black, but won't crash or anything drastic.

Are you using a geometry shell? I found out that, for instance, using the default Vellus Horizon on highly subdivided characters might kill my scene, because I have the character subdivision, the Geometry Shell subdivision, and the displacement subdivision... the poly count becomes impossibly high.

Nvidia Drivers update maybe?

UserPostedImage
DAZ STUDIO USER SINCE 2006
simontemplar  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 1:59:30 AM(UTC)
simontemplar

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Not only update nvidia drivers but try specifically the studio version. They might not have the latest tweaks for the latest games but they are tested and blooded for all major rendering programs including DS.
"That was fun. Let's do it again."
Ebonix115  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 12:09:13 PM(UTC)
Ebonix115

Originally Posted by: Hellboy Go to Quoted Post

I found it weird because when I go overboard with my scenes and won't fit in the VRAM, the render window will just go black, but won't crash or anything drastic.

Are you using a geometry shell? I found out that, for instance, using the default Vellus Horizon on highly subdivided characters might kill my scene, because I have the character subdivision, the Geometry Shell subdivision, and the displacement subdivision... the poly count becomes impossibly high.

Nvidia Drivers update maybe?

I don't have any geometry shells on to my knowledge, I checked all the characters. Most of what I have on them are just materials for things like skin color and what not. I had even tried taking some of the characters out of the image, and rendering half of it, but that usually ended up in a crash as well. As for the Nvidia update, I checked my Windows Update (that's what google said to do to find it), and it looks like there was one minor one and one big one. So I'm doing them both now to see if that helps. 

Ebonix115  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 12:15:25 PM(UTC)
Ebonix115

Originally Posted by: simontemplar Go to Quoted Post
Not only update nvidia drivers but try specifically the studio version. They might not have the latest tweaks for the latest games but they are tested and blooded for all major rendering programs including DS.

I went on the nvidia website, and I think I found the studio version update that you're referring to. I'm gonna download and install it and see what happens. 

simontemplar  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 1:45:56 PM(UTC)
simontemplar

Cool. I would also recommend that you perform the "clean install" in order to completely remove all bits and crumbs from your previous driver.
Hellboy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 2:49:29 PM(UTC)
Hellboy

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 77 post(s)

Personally I use Nvidia GeForce Experience to keep track of updates and install. Yeah, also use the latest Daz Studio version with it as mentioned.

UserPostedImage
DAZ STUDIO USER SINCE 2006
Ebonix115  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 9:00:44 PM(UTC)
Ebonix115

So, I just got back from the Best Buy, and honestly, it was a nightmare. I didn't know that the people there weren't versed with 3D products or programs. Will definitely be submitting a comment to their corporate team that some small classes in 3D programming troubleshooting might be a thing that they should be doing. But in any case, it's solved now! They just gave me an upgrade in RAM, and then boom, I was able to get the bigger render up and started with no error message, so I'm happy for the moment. But, thanks for suggesting that I check for the updates to the Nvidia drive. I honestly thought that Windows would have made my aware of any updates that the system may have needed. 

simontemplar  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2021 5:07:11 AM(UTC)
simontemplar

First off: don't ever expect shop clerks at Best Buy, Target or any place like that to know shit about computers in the first place and even less about any specialized field involving computers.
These people work for a commission. Bob will work in the computers aisle today but tomorrow he's likely to be in the dishwashers area. Bob will generally have a generic pitch for a type or
another of apparatus and sprinkle it with the tidbits he'll have read here and there to make himself look competent in the eyes of any punter who'll wash out at his doorstep. His team manager
will have assembled all the minions in the morning to tell them that this and that item must fly off the shelves because you don't want outdated shit to remain too long in stocks. So, whoever
gets a customer to buy one will get a bonus on their paycheck. That's about what you can expect from these people. Now, if you get really lucky, you might come across an actual computer
nerd who somehow ended working there because:

A) he just happens to be a computer enthusiast that needs to eat but not a pro
B) He's an IT like me but no place hired him because his qualifications are too high and nobody wants to pay him for what he's worth.

This guy might come useful if he's not too disillusioned and jaded but remember: he's got a boss to answer to. And his boss doesn't want him to give good advice; he wants him to sell stuff.

As I don't know how advanced a user you are in terms of PC's overall, I'll just give you my perspective as an IT guy in layman terms:
About Windows: let's consider Windows as a whole. It's a system, it does some amazing things really fast but... it's just software. And it certainly isn't an AI. It won't judge what you need or
not. All it can do is notify you when some dependencies are not met and only to a certain extent. You installing Daz Studio doesn't mean that Windows will notify you that you need more RAM
or better RAM. Think about it: if you install a weak GPU, DS doesn't tell you either "You should get a RTX 2060" or anything like that. You need, alas, to do your research upstream.
Rendering in Iray means that not only you need a certain amount of VRAM. Some RAM is required and the beefier the scene, the more it'll want too. Everything scales. The failure to render
is, in itself, your PC telling you "We're gonna need a bigger boat" :)

thanks 2 users thanked simontemplar for this useful post.
Ebonix115 on 6/18/2021(UTC), Absinthe on 7/23/2021(UTC)