Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
void  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 4:53:20 PM(UTC)
void

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Background: Daz3d is lousy at memory management. So what ive been doing lately is converting all of my scene characters into props before rendering. This saves me a ton of memory and as a result im able to render more complex scenes with more characters in them.

Issue: Im having trouble converting nvg8. The issue is not really in the geograft itself but in the nvg8 color geometry shell which fails. The effect geometry shell seems to work just fine. Im wondering if there is some way to fix the color geometry shell after the figure is converted to a prop. Please note, this geometry shell failure seems to happen with all of the genital props ive tested so far (meipe's, etc). The only prop that dosent fail, is the daz3d prop which uses textures. The daz prop is ok for some situations but inferior to nvg8 and others in my opinion.

Here is the process I use if you want to see the failure with the color shell.

Load G8F, apply nvg8, color, shape, etc. Pose G8F making sure that the root node remains at XYZ = 0, XYZ rot = 0. You can still pose g8f any way and anywhere you want, just make sure that you pose her from the hip and the root node stays at zero. Next, select the color and effect shells for nvg8 and group them. You should notice that they still work even though they are no longer parented to nvg8. The reason for grouping these items is because daz will delete them in the figure to prop conversion if they are not grouped and unparented fro g8f. If you clothed your figure or applied eyelashes, brows, you will want to do the same thing. Convert them into props and parent them to the group that contains the nvg8 geometry shells. After all that, select your g8f and edit > figure > convert figure to prop and wait. Depending how many characters and morphs you have, this conversion process could take several minutes. To convert my g8f, I have to wait somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-10 minutes.

Finally, after the conversion, you should see that your G8F is now a prop and nvg8 has become part of that prop. You should also notice that the effect geometry shell still displays correctly, but the color shell does not. Its still there, it just dosent display correctly. Ive tried several attempts to fix this but nothing has worked yet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry about the long winded post. I tried to keep it as short as possible :)).

BrotherHades  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 7:47:12 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 238 post(s)

Why not instead of converting everything to props before rendering, save the scene, then shut Daz Studio down if you are dealing with memory issues/leaks. Then let the computer release the memory Daz was using, sometimes it is quicker to force release the memory by rebooting/restarting computer. Then load Daz Studio back up, load your scene and render.

Most of the memory issues Daz Studio suffers from is due to users loading so much junk before we decide the image is how we want it, so as an example You load G8F play around with morph dials for a time trying to find the right look, play around with a dozen outfits, load grafts, play around with poses and shaders etc. All of which is kept in the memory even after deleting from the scene. So by saving the scene, shutting down, opening Daz Studio fresh, and then rendering, you end up with only what is actively in the scene loaded into memory.  

void  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 8:10:34 PM(UTC)
void

Nope, wont work. I regularly purge memory while in daz and restart before rendering. My g8f is just so loaded with morphs and characters that its consuming a huge block of my memory. After clothes and hair, I dont have alot of room for much anything else. If I convert to prop, I cut that memory cost down significantly.
3feetwolf  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 9:06:03 PM(UTC)
3feetwolf

Was thanked: 257 time(s) in 143 post(s)
I tried many times according to the process you mentioned, and after the conversion, Geometry Shells always failed to work. I can't find the reason at present. But then I used the expansion pack script to apply NGV8, the conversion seems to be successful, please see the attached picture. So I would suggest you to try expansion pack, it should be able to meet your requirements.
3feetwolf attached the following image(s):
Untitled-9.jpg
void  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 9:23:19 PM(UTC)
void

Sorry 3feetwolf, I left out a couple of the steps needed after the conversion. Once the g8f is converted into a prop, select both geoshells, color and effect, then go into the perimeters tab. Select "Shell" in the perimeters tab and then in the list on the right find shell node at the top. It should say "none", change that to "prop: Genesis 8 Female". Then you have to turn off the unnecessary shell surfaces and make sure that the correct surfaces are turned on. You should then see the effect shell display properly but the color shell will not. Its just my amateur opinion, but im wondering if the cutout opacity map is the culprit.
If the expansion pack is working though, that is fantastic! Ill try it out and reply. Thanks for helping out!
3feetwolf  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 10:07:46 PM(UTC)
3feetwolf

Yes, I have tried all of these and it still doesn't work. I suspect that the problem is caused by the change of the uv set of the figure after the conversion, but I don’t know how to restore the original uv set.
void  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 10:09:53 PM(UTC)
void

Tried the expansion and works great! Even saves a little more memory than the original nvg8.
Thanks 3feetwolf!

If anyone is interested in the whole prop conversion thing to save memory, ill write up a better process summary and post it in a couple days.
3feetwolf  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 10:26:44 PM(UTC)
3feetwolf

I am happy to help:) I believe that the artists will definitely need the experience you share.