Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Only-a-Noob  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2020 10:34:32 PM(UTC)
Only-a-Noob

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hey guys,

I am not that fairly new to Daz but I would still consider myself a beginner. I had an idea of a story in the setting that 3 female warriors take on 2 minotaurs and get defeated and then the minotaurs present them to the cyclops king. I have made a scene from this story but it may not necessarily be the first and rendered it. Also plan on looking ways to add text and improving it in post renderwork.

I know nothing about photography, or lights etc in real life.

I also dont know how postwork works, I got photoshop but I may look up tutorials on how to do stuff etc.

Please check this render of mine.

i.imgur.com/H6CGuij.jpg

Rendered in 3840x2160 , size 14.something MB, pixel filter Mitchell with radius value 1, max samples 30,000, render quality 1.2, convergence of 99% not achieved I think it did somewhere between 97-98% before max samples was reached, render time roughly +- 7 hours

Give your valuable input on various aspects of the render and tell me if I am going the right direction. Also tell me if I am going in the right direction or if I may have to Redo this specific scene/render

I had to lower exposure to 9.9, is it correct?

Also I set the Post Denoiser at iteration 29500, was that correct?

Thanks in advance guys I look forward to your feedback, also tell me what you think I can do to it in Photoshop not how but what, I can look up how on youtube.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 16, 2020 6:33:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Masterstroke  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 7:32:39 AM(UTC)
Masterstroke

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 171 post(s)

I think render quality, poses are alright. Still there are things left to improve.
Try another camera angle, in order to add more tension here. Center perspective makes thing boring. Maybe place the camera more to the front, in order to make that girl in the front your center character.
The lightning is pretty uniform, but the only light sources should be your torches. It is o.k. to add some extra lights, but I think it should not be brighter, than the torches in your scene.
So don't change the scene itself. Poses, outfits and render quality are good. Just keep experimenting with lights and cameras.

thanks 2 users thanked Masterstroke for this useful post.
Only-a-Noob on 9/16/2020(UTC), Stephanie6 on 1/11/2021(UTC)
shadoman  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 8:36:41 AM(UTC)
shadoman

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 229 post(s)

Your submitted image is too large for the forums and causes problem reduces the size and repost it or if it is in the gallery,  simply supply a link if you do not do it, the Mods will remove your image 

As to the image itself Its is extremely well done  I see great attention to detail but two ticks  

Posing can be deceiving and certain points of View or POV  can reveal many things.  The warrior on the far right..  here eyes are not looking at the fallen female subject and I would say if you pivoted your scene and rotate it you might see the same thing

I have never been a fan or pre made 3D fire and the flame on the torches just look terrible.  If you have a Post work tool, you need to using a smudge or smoothing tool and fan out the sides to make the flames look more realistic 

Please accept this as the constructive critism that you asked for.  

regards  Shadoman

Who knows what lurks in the hearts of perverted artist....
The Shado Knows
thanks 1 user thanked shadoman for this useful post.
Only-a-Noob on 9/16/2020(UTC)
TophillProduction  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 3:20:51 PM(UTC)
TophillProduction

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
A nice render indeed. But I'll give you some constructive feedback as well: (and this is just my OCD opinion)

Lighting:
- Since this is an indoor scene inside a corridor, the light is a bit unnatural. Your torches should be the only light sources in this scene and with more dark areas. A hard and time consuming scene to render. Indoor scenes are always hard.
- And a small mention; the flame in the torches should have more bloom to give them a better look.

Geometry:
- The woman in the center have the hair scalp poking through her forehead. Really annoying, but can easily be fixed by selecting the scalp in the scene tab, and changing the size slightly smaller.
- The top on the sitting woman has poke-trough on her left breast
- The standing women are not looking at the sitting woman.

Positive things:
- You have absolutely no noise. A+
- Very nice posing on all three characters
- A cool idea which sounds like a good story.
- Nice attention to details

thanks 1 user thanked TophillProduction for this useful post.
Only-a-Noob on 9/16/2020(UTC)
Only-a-Noob  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 6:39:35 PM(UTC)
Only-a-Noob

Originally Posted by: Masterstroke Go to Quoted Post

I think render quality, poses are alright. Still there are things left to improve.
Try another camera angle, in order to add more tension here. Center perspective makes thing boring. Maybe place the camera more to the front, in order to make that girl in the front your center character.
The lightning is pretty uniform, but the only light sources should be your torches. It is o.k. to add some extra lights, but I think it should not be brighter, than the torches in your scene.
So don't change the scene itself. Poses, outfits and render quality are good. Just keep experimenting with lights and cameras.

Thankyou really helpful man.

I had lowered the exposure too much I guess cuz all this light is only from the torches and ok maybe I increased the lumen of torches as well, but I definitely get you, a bit darker setting and dynamic lighting.

Only-a-Noob  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 6:42:02 PM(UTC)
Only-a-Noob

Originally Posted by: shadoman Go to Quoted Post

Your submitted image is too large for the forums and causes problem reduces the size and repost it or if it is in the gallery,  simply supply a link if you do not do it, the Mods will remove your image 

As to the image itself Its is extremely well done  I see great attention to detail but two ticks  

Posing can be deceiving and certain points of View or POV  can reveal many things.  The warrior on the far right..  here eyes are not looking at the fallen female subject and I would say if you pivoted your scene and rotate it you might see the same thing

I have never been a fan or pre made 3D fire and the flame on the torches just look terrible.  If you have a Post work tool, you need to using a smudge or smoothing tool and fan out the sides to make the flames look more realistic 

Please accept this as the constructive critism that you asked for.  

regards  Shadoman

Hey  thanks man

I removed the image and made the link I gave previously  more prominent. Extremely valid points especially fire, I will look up how to make fire realistic in photoshop.

Only-a-Noob  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 6:46:27 PM(UTC)
Only-a-Noob

Originally Posted by: TophillProduction Go to Quoted Post
A nice render indeed. But I'll give you some constructive feedback as well: (and this is just my OCD opinion)

Lighting:
- Since this is an indoor scene inside a corridor, the light is a bit unnatural. Your torches should be the only light sources in this scene and with more dark areas. A hard and time consuming scene to render. Indoor scenes are always hard.
- And a small mention; the flame in the torches should have more bloom to give them a better look.

Geometry:
- The woman in the center have the hair scalp poking through her forehead. Really annoying, but can easily be fixed by selecting the scalp in the scene tab, and changing the size slightly smaller.
- The top on the sitting woman has poke-trough on her left breast
- The standing women are not looking at the sitting woman.

Positive things:
- You have absolutely no noise. A+
- Very nice posing on all three characters
- A cool idea which sounds like a good story.
- Nice attention to details

This is an incredibly precise and detailed feedback and for that I am truly grateful, I will correct everything and then post and updated render with postwork included if I can find how to make fire realistic online, please you gotta vet that render too, I would definitely learn a lot.

So, about the bloom, do I just enable it in render settings and thats it?

TophillProduction  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 12:47:53 AM(UTC)
TophillProduction

The bloom filter settings in DAZ can be adjusted during the rendering in the side panel / progressive render settings. Turn bloom filter on, and adjust the slider to your liking.
Though the filter affects all lights sources, so you may get some blooming on other stuff as well that doesnt look good.
But since it doesnt reset the render while adjusting, you can play around with the slider to see if it looks ok.

Other option is to do it post work in photoshop. But its more complicated.
Only-a-Noob on 9/17/2020(UTC)
stjuste_nwn  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 10:06:07 PM(UTC)
stjuste_nwn

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

For the torch i suggest The Torch and Construction Kit in daz shop, is my fav torch flame

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks
Only-a-Noob  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 7:08:47 AM(UTC)
Only-a-Noob

Originally Posted by: stjuste_nwn Go to Quoted Post

For the torch i suggest The Torch and Construction Kit in daz shop, is my fav torch flame

Heheehe you are absolutely right my friend, I stumbled upon it yesterday and spend nearly half the day replacing each and every torch with the ones from this awesome torch construction kit by Dzfire.

here you go check this outt, changed a couple things too

https://ibb.co/47VYWJt

TophillProduction  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 7:12:39 AM(UTC)
TophillProduction

Now we're talking.
It looks a million times better.

I see you fixed all the other geometry errors as well.
I'd say that this image is now done 🙂👍
Only-a-Noob on 9/18/2020(UTC)
Only-a-Noob  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 7:22:36 AM(UTC)
Only-a-Noob

Originally Posted by: TophillProduction Go to Quoted Post
Now we're talking.
It looks a million times better.

I see you fixed all the other geometry errors as well.
I'd say that this image is now done 🙂👍

Thanks, truuly.

It was your feedback that made this happen, I would say I have learnt more in this one day than I wouldve in a week.

TophillProduction  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 7:29:01 AM(UTC)
TophillProduction

No problem.

I like getting feedback on my own work as well, so giving feedback to others is natural to me. 🙂
shadoman  
#14 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 12:46:01 PM(UTC)
shadoman

Hamaid

In regards  to the site mail you sent  me with a link to review your revised mage.

The site the link sent me to had malicious code and my virus software shut it down in like 10 seconds  

Nit your fault this happens but with all the content on the PC I use my Kaperski software will need to run a good part of the day as it holds a copy of my entire poser Runtime Library

What I did see in ten seconds was everything your said and them some. 

I tried to reply to your site mail but I recieved an error message saying your box PM site mail box had exceeded its size limits,  maybe you had better go in and cull some of your messages in both the recieved and sent files.

Regards  Shadoman   

The Shado Knows
Only-a-Noob  
#15 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 4:32:01 PM(UTC)
Only-a-Noob

Originally Posted by: shadoman Go to Quoted Post

Hamaid

In regards  to the site mail you sent  me with a link to review your revised mage.

The site the link sent me to had malicious code and my virus software shut it down in like 10 seconds  

Nit your fault this happens but with all the content on the PC I use my Kaperski software will need to run a good part of the day as it holds a copy of my entire poser Runtime Library

What I did see in ten seconds was everything your said and them some. 

I tried to reply to your site mail but I recieved an error message saying your box PM site mail box had exceeded its size limits,  maybe you had better go in and cull some of your messages in both the recieved and sent files.

Regards  Shadoman   

I hope it finds you,

sorry for the trouble man, figured a reply here would maybe not reach you due to no notifications.

heres another link this time from imgur, I changed sites because Imgur changes png to jpg and quality worsens

https://imgur.com/a/mwG3t3p

Edited by user Friday, September 18, 2020 4:55:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shadoman  
#16 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 6:13:29 PM(UTC)
shadoman

Rendering in PNG  offten works the best for me.. I can do so much with it. for comics I can ass overlays in Post work  Like Comic Titles and then layer them down to the base image and still save them as a PNG, All other comic overlays are done in Comic Life 

When we had the Renderotica Publication we would get entries submitted in JPEG and for the most part they were terrible due to the compress levels..  PSD and PNG were the best  and did well we we converted the final run of the publication to PDF.

Torch flame is a royal pain in the but,  If one cannot do it in post work the next best option is to find a prop that has a fireplace and a raging fire sub-prop.  The what I do is create a render with the closeup of the raging fire and then  use the image to copy and paist in post work  and finish it off with a little smoothing.. 

Of course certain props using flames have a light package that goes with them so of course if you ue it, you have to get the post work  just right.

I might copy the link you gave me and place it on my tabley. then take a look at it later.  

Virus program is still winding down from the last link

regards  Shadoman

The Shado Knows