Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SeanScott  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 8:25:24 PM(UTC)
SeanScott

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 2 post(s)

It is with DEEP SADNESS and shock that I must convey this news: 

ManOfSteel has passed. This evening I received an email saying he had lost his battle with pancreatic cancer. He had asked me to post that his real name was David, and that one of his greatest joys was being able to share his work.

I had the joy of actually meeting David about a year ago when I visited San Francisco. He was so friendly, interesting and fun! I am still in shock; I will attempt to write more about my friendship with him at a future time.

I have no other information than this. David never complained about his health, and I only got hints that he had these struggles. I didn't know it was so serious.

In mourning,

Sean Reid Scott.

SeanScott attached the following image(s):
David660.jpg
thanks 5 users thanked SeanScott for this useful post.
Communications on 6/3/2020(UTC), hylas on 6/4/2020(UTC), jimbo3 on 6/4/2020(UTC), mlglad99 on 6/6/2020(UTC), dieterderblau on 6/7/2020(UTC)
shadoman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 9:50:05 PM(UTC)
shadoman

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 229 post(s)

Having Known MOS only virtually, I had the upmost respect for him and his art,

He was one of the original 100 Premier Artist and his art was incredible. he was one of just a handful of gay artist who graced the Premier and regular galleries and how he created his signature character was true mastery of the 3D art form.

I will miss him

Thank You for letting the site know of his passing and I am sure other will post their own tributes to a fantastic artist

Regards  Dennis  aka Shadoman  Premier Artist

Who knows what lurks in the hearts of perverted artist....
The Shado Knows
thanks 1 user thanked shadoman for this useful post.
Communications on 6/3/2020(UTC)
Communications  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 11:54:18 PM(UTC)
Communications

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 116 post(s)

Very sad news indeed,  thoughts go out to his family, friends and everyone here in the community.

We've made a memorial blog post of sorts for ManOfSteel that features his Renderotica interview from 2013,  you can see it HERE

Teronsuke
Community Manager / Social Media Manager
Renderotica/CGbytes

thanks 1 user thanked Communications for this useful post.
SeanScott on 6/4/2020(UTC)
oz_tangles  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2020 12:09:56 AM(UTC)
oz_tangles

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 25 post(s)

This is sad news indeed.  MOS was a real inspiration for me.  

Rest in peace.

Bill aka oz_tangles

casualgrapher  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2020 5:23:58 AM(UTC)
casualgrapher

Was thanked: 175 time(s) in 168 post(s)

I'm sad to hear this. We exchanged a few friendly words once in the forum. My condolences to his family and friends. 

Lighting the way to the dark side
bodo  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2020 7:11:41 AM(UTC)
bodo

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 116 post(s)
Rest in Peace ManOFSteel........
falco669  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2020 9:51:59 AM(UTC)
falco669

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)

I did not know him, but I found myself this morning scanning through his gallery as a retrospective. It's amazing; David is in virtually every render he posted. I don't know if I could get away with that myself; I tend to need a fresh set of hooves every now and then.

I found several I liked quite a bit. I'm not sure how to post a link to any of them, but if I was able to I'd link to David447. MoS noted the difficulty in posing those tenticles, and yeah, making that picture would have been no easy task. I kinda wish he had posted a few more shots of this one. Very impressive.

I really liked that Maxfield Parrish tribute as well.. 

Ponyplay covers a wide range of activities.. but at its core there are two types of ponyplayers: Those that prance and those that pull. These are not mutually exclusive.
hylas  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2020 12:15:31 PM(UTC)
hylas

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 22 post(s)
This is heartbreaking... rest in peace.

I've always loved his work, very distinctive and just all around great!
choppski  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2020 1:30:43 PM(UTC)
choppski

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
What a tremendous loss. My heart goes out to his loved ones.
lalverson  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2020 9:42:19 PM(UTC)
lalverson

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 69 post(s)
His art was always quite inspiring and though his work I was able to better understand the intricacies of different sexual perspectives. I to only knew him from the virtual world but I can say he was always a kind soul that was encouraging to new and peer artists. I am saddened he has left us, the 3D art communitiy is slightly less brilliant without him.
Seven-ol  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2020 12:48:56 AM(UTC)
Seven-ol

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Originally Posted by: lalverson Go to Quoted Post
His art was always quite inspiring and though his work I was able to better understand the intricacies of different sexual perspectives. I to only knew him from the virtual world but I can say he was always a kind soul that was encouraging to new and peer artists. I am saddened he has left us, the 3D art community is slightly less brilliant without him.

I second your comment w/o any hesitation : let's accept every small or big difference, they are what make life a fascinatingly interesting experience.

And it's so sad to see a talent vanishing, my condolences to all his friends and family.

These pancreatic malign tumors are progressively climbing to the top ten. Very hard to diagnose at early stage and almost impossible to cure when discovered. The main official culprit is tobacco smoking, but I guess that atmospheric diffuse chemicals from our modern world are another major cause.

My dad, a surgeon, self treated what he thought was a bad cough during 6 months.... We summoned him to go seen a doctor : he already had diffuse pulmonary metastasis, and others in the liver and a lumbar vertebra. 3 months later, he passed away. Since we're all in the "branch", we discussed with physicians, one of my niece had access to the biopsy (it's her specialty). Then, we had a long family reunion my dad included, and we all decided that there would be NO invasive treatment and that he would stay at home. The only thing we regret was the "comfort" chemotherapy : spending a day a week at the hospital (his hospital by the way), was no comfort at all and the only objective result was that he lost his hair.

He only had oxygen at will and strong pain killers. He staid home and we took care of the job. The very last day, he tried to finish an oil painting of a naked woman ; in the evening he said us he wanted to stop living. Since we had all the codes for the pumps (these codes were written on the box anyway),  we upped the morphine slowly to the max, and he faded away in his sleep. It was a very very tough moment, but I believe that it was done as best as we could do.

Frankly, he was as a talented surgeon as he was an awful painter : as meticulate as patient, trying to catch every tiny details from his models up to the caricature and with strictly no artistic talent. At 70, he took courses and his personal style began to reveal... So whenever you really want to do something do it NOW.

He regularly bought men's magazines, but exclusively when travelling for work very far away from our town. As you can imagine, I was the first to help him empty his suit case ...  Then he cut pictures, classifying them in folders like "backs", "pectorals" (as they say at Daz), legs, feet and so on....

SkatingJesus  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2020 12:10:49 PM(UTC)
SkatingJesus

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 31 post(s)

Very sad news, for sure.

I wasn't a fan of his work, as that wasn't my kink, but I respected him, as I often saw his artworks.

RIP, friend.

AlanDavis  
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 9:13:39 AM(UTC)
AlanDavis

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 57 post(s)
So Sad News!!!
R.I.P. 😞
dieterderblau  
#14 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 11:49:46 AM(UTC)
dieterderblau

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 69 post(s)

And this year just keeps getting sadder. Thank you for everything you did. R'otica will definitely be lacking for your loss.

Rest in Peace, you beautiful man.

AND FUCK CANCER.

Greyson_F  
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 1:02:18 PM(UTC)
Greyson_F

Wow. How devastating. I spoke with him rather infrequently on other sites and shared his passion for muscular men in art and in real life. He sent me photos of himself from his bodybuilding days long ago (i no longer have them) which he asked me to never share them with others. I knew of his struggles having succumed to painful arthritis and thereby giving up his weight lifting. This is a real loss for the community here and and across the net.

Be at peace, David. We will miss you.

Finister  
#16 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 10:52:21 AM(UTC)
Finister

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
ManOfSteel was fucking awesome. This hits hard. Incredible artist for so many years.
VunterSlaush  
#17 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 11:27:41 AM(UTC)
VunterSlaush

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Sad , I'm crying...