Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
montyblue88  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2022 10:12:18 PM(UTC)
montyblue88

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

I know you have your hands full with Genesis 9 3feetwolf, but you mentioned some time ago that you know why this is happening and would be able to provide assistance eventually.

On both HD Nipples 1.0 and 2.0, using the skin from the character yui (https://www.daz3d.com/yui-remake-character-and-hair-for-genesis-81-female), there is a razor sharp transition on the breasts that is very distracting on up close renders (examples below).

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Would you be able to help out?

Yui body materials loaded on Genesis 8:

Now with HD Nipples 1.0:

Now with HD Nipples 2.0:

3feetwolf  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2022 10:00:51 PM(UTC)
3feetwolf

Was thanked: 257 time(s) in 143 post(s)
Hi,
Thank you for the link, I will test this character and find out the problem.
thanks 1 user thanked 3feetwolf for this useful post.
montyblue88 on 12/22/2022(UTC)
3feetwolf  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2022 2:45:32 AM(UTC)
3feetwolf

Hi, I found out where the problem is, but I don't know the cause of the problem. It's not the problems I expected.
In the skin material of Yui Remake (IrayUber MAT) there is a parameter called "Top Coat Bump", which is assigned a bump texture with a value of 6. The problems we encounter are caused by it.
In "HD Nipples L" and "HD Nipples R" of HD Nipples, the script also assigns a bump texture to this parameter with a value of 6. But doing so will not achieve the same rendering result as Yui's skin anyway.
I compared the parameter settings of the them one by one, and even made a detailed comparison of HD Nipples' bump map and Yui's bump map in photoshop, including their color profiles. None of these measures can find out why the problem occurs. It's really, really confusing.
But I finally found a rough workaround, we can set the "Top Coat Bump" of HD Nipples L and HD Nipples R very high, say 36. In this way, rendering again can basically not see the problems you encountered.
montyblue88  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2022 4:35:27 PM(UTC)
montyblue88

Thanks for looking into this! Increasing top coat bump does indeed help a bit, but do you think that's the only culprit? When looking at the textures two things pop out to me:

- The grain/pattern doesn't match. It's like the HD Nipples texture is rotated out of alignment

- The grain/pattern of the HD Nipples is much more fine than the body. The pores are 3x smaller (if not smaller). It's like a big texture got squished into a smaller space.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the textures generated? I have no idea what is causing that square pattern to appear. You can see it even if you reduce the top coat bump to zero.

Top coat reduced to 0 for both HD nipples and body:

3feetwolf  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2022 4:19:19 AM(UTC)
3feetwolf

Originally Posted by: montyblue88 Go to Quoted Post

- The grain/pattern doesn't match. It's like the HD Nipples texture is rotated out of alignment

I think the textures match, they just don't render correctly for some reason we haven't been able to figure out yet. 

- The grain/pattern of the HD Nipples is much more fine than the body. The pores are 3x smaller (if not smaller). It's like a big texture got squished
into a smaller space.

If we open the two bump maps in photoshop for comparison, the details in the bump map of HD Nipples are even more blurred.

- Is it possible that there is something wrong with the textures generated? I have no idea what is causing that square pattern to appear. You can see it
even if you reduce the top coat bump to zero.

I'd love to make improvements to the textures, but the problem is that I don't know what's causing the problem, so I don't know where to start.

Have you encountered similar issues with other characters? Maybe some more testing would help. 

3feetwolf attached the following image(s):
Yui.jpg
montyblue88  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2023 5:51:05 PM(UTC)
montyblue88

So here is another character I found this issue is happening with. It's Keriann HD (https://www.daz3d.com/keriann-hd-for-genesis-8-female) by Mousso, so a different author this time. The effect is less noticable but it's definitely there.

I just tested HD Nipples 2.0 since both 1.0 and 2.0 share the same behavior with the textures transitioning sharply.

MidnightWatcher  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2023 4:15:40 PM(UTC)
MidnightWatcher

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 29 post(s)
It would be most useful to post the shader information.
Aenza  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2023 1:57:52 PM(UTC)
Aenza

I was considering buying this and I use mousso models a lot, have you seen this happening on other mso models or has this issue been fixed?
Thank you
montyblue88  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2023 6:26:27 PM(UTC)
montyblue88

Originally Posted by: Aenza Go to Quoted Post
I was considering buying this and I use mousso models a lot, have you seen this happening on other mso models or has this issue been fixed?
Thank you

So I'll use Keriann HD as a point of comparison (https://www.daz3d.com/keriann-hd-for-genesis-8-female).

By default there is a transition line, and you'll notice the area HD Nipples covers is blurry (1st image). However, following the advise 3feetwolf gave to downsize the bump texture to 1024x1024 (2 textures in total), you'll see the blurriness go away, and the transition line becoming almost invisible (2nd image).

It's downright weird that making the texture smaller makes the render clearer, but oh well, if it works it works. From a bit further away (3rd image) I'm no longer able to tell there's anything wrong at all.

I would certainly recommend HD Nipples (I'm personally biased towards 1.0 since it plays nicely with all body shapes and sizes). I don't think any other nipple product comes even close to what 3feetwolf made.

Keriann HD with HD Nipples 1.0 (default):

Keriann HD with HD Nipples 1.0 (bump map textures downsized to 1024x1024)

Keriann HD with HD Nipples 1.0, a bit further away (bump map textures downsized to 1024x1024)

Aenza  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2023 9:26:05 AM(UTC)
Aenza

Thanks for the reply, I kinda use daz as an advanced form of dollhouse so I have not much clue on the technical side of things. I had bought breastacular 8 and was unsatisfied with the unnatural look of the nipples on that addon. The nipples on this addon looks way better but I was warry of the weird texture difference, so if I understand correctly If get this addon and want to avoid texture difference, I ll have to convert the texture resolution of mousso characters body to 1024?
montyblue88  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2023 3:53:49 PM(UTC)
montyblue88

Originally Posted by: Aenza Go to Quoted Post
so if I understand correctly If get this addon and want to avoid texture difference, I ll have to convert the texture resolution of mousso characters body to 1024?

Not quite. You need to change the bump texture of the nipple addon only. You don't need to touch the character itself at all. This issue is not just for Mousso characters, it seems to happen to a lot of material presets. It's possible that if the root cause is identified 3feetwolf will be able to update the addon with the fix (the addon has already been improved a few times, with a color pallette switcher, and 8.1 support among others).

But for right now the manual workaround is something like this:

- Generate the textures as normal. They will be stored in <your_addon_installation_folder>\Runtime\Textures\3feetwolf\HDNipplesforG8F\DefaultTextures. You'll see folders for each different character you generate textures for there.

So for me, the Keriann textures are in D:\Daz Content Library\Unmanaged\Anatomy\Runtime\Textures\3feetwolf\HDNipplesforG8F\DefaultTextures\Keriann

- Open up NipplesMapB_L.jpg and NipplesMapB_R.jpg in a photo editor. Photopea (https://www.photopea.com/) is a convenient and free photoshop-like program that runs right in the browser, makes it easy to resize the textures.

Just select Image>Image Size, change width and height to 1024, select bicubic sharper (I didn't test if bicubic gives better results than bilinear tbh, but IIRC bicubic usually gives better results). Then just go File>Export As>JPG, replace the original textures and you're good.

Now load HD Nipples onto the figure and everything should work fine.

Edited by user Thursday, March 2, 2023 5:24:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added correction

thanks 1 user thanked montyblue88 for this useful post.
Aenza on 3/6/2023(UTC)
Aenza  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2023 1:28:19 PM(UTC)
Aenza

Thanks a lot for the detailed instruction to make this work!