Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
QuantumMechanic  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2022 12:49:08 PM(UTC)
QuantumMechanic

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hey all,

New here and am messing around with various products from different vendors. I came across Mike1954's GenHair for GP G8F and noticed when it attaches to the GP Gens object it is height offset from the surface of GP by what looks like a couple centimeters, so it is not flush with the surface.

I was wondering if any DAZ3D guys in here familiar with attachments can tell me how to move the GenHair so it is more flush with the surface. Currently it is floating about GP and none of the available morphs seem to address this particular issue.

I don't think it's an orientation thing as I load a G8F, load GP onto character, load GenHair onto character, GenHair parents to the G8F character and it looks mostly alright from the front. Any off-front view however it is immediately apparent the GenHair attachment is floating above the GP surface.

Any help?

Thanks

Glenn

----------------

update: I found that if I create a geoshell on the character and then attach GenHair to the character geoshell it positions better. Something about the bones of GP must be causing the offset when GenHair attaches.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 19, 2022 2:51:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Twisted_Pencil  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2022 3:45:31 PM(UTC)
Twisted_Pencil

Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 82 post(s)

Hi Quantum,

Not had that issue with the Mike1954 Gens Hair as yet but I know there can be issues with some HD characters and some shells / grafts, a mismatch of displacement or subdivision settings can cause things to look out of place from some angles.
I'm just here by mistake, for a friend, for science... anyway you can't prove nuffin'.
TheBitterGent  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2022 4:52:24 PM(UTC)
TheBitterGent

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 111 post(s)
Some hair products, or portions of, are meant to be loaded/parented to the base figure, some to the graft, and others to the grafts shell.
If that all checks out and your still floating due to morph or something usually a quick workaround is to select the hair node and Z translation back some. (Usually loading and moving after posing with local translations on is easier so the hair isn't lost during pose).
QuantumMechanic  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 21, 2022 12:09:02 PM(UTC)
QuantumMechanic

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Thanks all. I was testing some posing and noticed being attached to the shell didn't work. Zero Pose looks great. So for giggles I un-parented GenHair and tried using 'Fit-to' and picking the GP Gens, lo and behold it looked right, no floating and works with poses. I don't know what I did wrong when I first attached but the 'Fit-to' seems to have cleared it up. Guess the default of just using the GenHair4GoldenPalace.duf attaches fine but no 'Fit-to' dialog pops up. It's the little things that bite you in the ass.

EDIT:

As an aside, I really do like the fact you can alter the Opacity map to both shape and control density beyond the morphs. Too bad the author isn't around any more. Well done.

Edited by user Friday, January 21, 2022 12:12:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked QuantumMechanic for this useful post.
Twisted_Pencil on 1/22/2022(UTC)
marble51  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2022 8:22:59 PM(UTC)
marble51

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)

Originally Posted by: QuantumMechanic Go to Quoted Post

Thanks all. I was testing some posing and noticed being attached to the shell didn't work. Zero Pose looks great. So for giggles I un-parented GenHair and tried using 'Fit-to' and picking the GP Gens, lo and behold it looked right, no floating and works with poses. I don't know what I did wrong when I first attached but the 'Fit-to' seems to have cleared it up. Guess the default of just using the GenHair4GoldenPalace.duf attaches fine but no 'Fit-to' dialog pops up. It's the little things that bite you in the ass.

EDIT:

As an aside, I really do like the fact you can alter the Opacity map to both shape and control density beyond the morphs. Too bad the author isn't around any more. Well done.

It is odd behaviour indeed. I just bought this and have had the same problem with wondering what to select when loading it. I *think* it should be the GP Gens (not shell) but it still loads some distance away from the figure (a small but significant gap). So it looks like you have to select "Fit To" but select nothing in the drop down and somehow it magically conforms to the shape after all. 

Anyhow, when fitted it seems to work well and is much better than trying to get my old G3F version to fit to G8F. I found that the textures are still the old 3DL materials so I have to change them to IRay and then select the desired opacity map.

DontTellMyWife  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2022 1:24:33 PM(UTC)
DontTellMyWife

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
with Mike1954, you just select GPGens, NOT the G8F, in the scene tree (not any shells) and double-click GenHair4GoldenPalace. The prop fits to GP, but you have to drag it to GPGens to parent it. And then lucky you has it highlighted so you can choose the materials/colors without any more clicks.

If it seems more fiddly than it should be, it's not that bad. Several more clicks are required if you're using Golden Growler for GP.
You can also right-click "MIKE1954.GenHair4GoldenPalace" in the scene tree and choose "Fit to..." and select your GPGens there, ticking the "parent to target" box. While this seems easier, if you have a crowded scene it can be trial-and-error to find the right one to fit it to. Dragging works the bomb, and has the tree already opened down to GPGens anyway.

And I love that you can take the default (or "full") opacity mask into PhotoShop (or GIMP, MSPaint, etc.) and use a black brush to shape it to whatever pube design your heart can imagine. Easily the best for fast usability and customization.