Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RobinsonUK  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 9:20:34 AM(UTC)
RobinsonUK

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

So I wanted to do some detailed morphs for the genital area of my character, and decided to make my own female genital graft as almost all of them are very low poly cages.  I followed a tutorial to do transfer and so on, fit the figure, etc. to base Genesis 8.  It all seems to work OK except I have two problems remaining.

(1) I copied the torso texture from the G8 figure onto the graft and the map looks fine in Texture Shaded, but as you can see from the screenshot, in iRay the graft is a somewhat different colour, i.e. it looks like it has a different translucency.  I checked the UVs and there are as they were when I exported.  I can't work out why, when it has exactly the same shader, it looks different.  Does anyone know?

(2) When I add a smoothing mod to the graft and set its type to Base Shape Matching, it matched the base shape to Genesis 8.  But for another character that perhaps has many morphs, this is the wrong shape to smooth against.  Set Smoothing Modifier Base doesn't seem to do anything (do I need to be in some "mode" for it to work?).  Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

cloudwatcher  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 10:00:56 AM(UTC)
cloudwatcher

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
I haven't had much success with geografts, but I tried using geoshells a while back as a way to do back tattoos without having to fuss over torso seams. I ran into the same issue. Even though the shell was a 1-for-1 match to the underlying geometry and mostly transparent, I was never able to get it to be exactly invisible. There was a always a difference in how the geoshell geometry rendered vs. the rest of the model.

I've noticed a similar thing happening even on geoshell clothing from vendors. I wrote it off as a limitation of Iray and just something that wasn't going to quite work, so I haven't gone back and tried to see if more tweaking would make a difference. Maybe somebody else can either support this or debunk it. Good luck!
thanks 1 user thanked cloudwatcher for this useful post.
RobinsonUK on 1/14/2022(UTC)
RobinsonUK  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 11:29:44 AM(UTC)
RobinsonUK

Originally Posted by: cloudwatcher Go to Quoted Post
I haven't had much success with geografts, but I tried using geoshells a while back as a way to do back tattoos without having to fuss over torso seams. I ran into the same issue. Even though the shell was a 1-for-1 match to the underlying geometry and mostly transparent, I was never able to get it to be exactly invisible. There was a always a difference in how the geoshell geometry rendered vs. the rest of the model.

I've noticed a similar thing happening even on geoshell clothing from vendors. I wrote it off as a limitation of Iray and just something that wasn't going to quite work, so I haven't gone back and tried to see if more tweaking would make a difference. Maybe somebody else can either support this or debunk it. Good luck!

Interesting.  I have commercial grafts that work just fine.  So there's some button I need to push somewhere presumably.  I don't imagine it doesn't work by default, if you see what I mean.

RobinsonUK  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 11:48:17 AM(UTC)
RobinsonUK

Doh! Must be a bug in Daz. Thin Walled was ON in my graft shader and OFF on the torso, even though I'd copied the surface over.
Chaosophia  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 9:14:24 PM(UTC)
Chaosophia

Was thanked: 83 time(s) in 66 post(s)

Try checking the material of g8f in the surfaces pane. Set opacity of the geograft surface on Genesis 8 Female of the graft surface to 0.

Not on the geograft model itself but with G8F selected.

Steps:

*Select G8F

*Go to surface pane/tab

*Scroll down to surfaces and find the geoshell in that surface list.

*Set Opacity to 0

*See if that clears it up in Iray preview.

See if that clears up the highlighted area. Hopefully I explained that clearly enough, It might not help but I get that with multiple geo grafts on a model and have to manually fix the textures in the surface area tab.

thanks 1 user thanked Chaosophia for this useful post.
RobinsonUK on 1/14/2022(UTC)