Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Venacular  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 10:26:36 PM(UTC)
Venacular

Was thanked: 138 time(s) in 135 post(s)

I'm looking for help with "missing files". I've had to build a new machine from hardware failure.

I've had to install 4.12 because 4.11 isn't available anymore.  I was fortunate to save all content and files from my back-up disc prior to the hardware failure.

Pictured here is a typical sequence of missing file error messages on all my 3rd Party content opening a scene.  The sweater and body morph isn't loading and showing those gray boxes instead. Same errors if I double click the item to merge too.

Clearly the content is fine, and clearly it's right there to be used.  But DAZ doesn't find this content when I open a scene or attempt to load an item in an open scene.

No clothing, custom figure morphs, settings, or anything outside of DAZ Install Manager is recognized.

My guess is a map issue and configuring DAZ to find these items in another location.  I'm just not sure where these tools are, and how to tweak them. Content mapping tools are something in 4.12 I know nothing about.  And I hope I don't have to that for every friggin' piece. Yikes!

Even worse, HARD AS I TRIED, I cannot get Install Manager to place content in my larger storage drive.  Even though I typed in the location in settings, Install Manager continuously places content in my tiny SSD drive.

I didn't set up anything differently from when I had 4.11 working on my old machine. I created the new folders in DAZ, and just dumped the 3rd party stuff in there. And everything worked fine then.

I don't where mapped drive tools are located, or how to use them.  Any tips on how to tell DAZ to look for, manipulate, and manage content placement would be helpful, thank you.

EvilSteve  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 2:46:03 AM(UTC)
EvilSteve

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)

The first problem I see in the screenshots is that in #3, you've got a "*deleted*" folder under your "My Library" folder. That's a problem because what I see in that *deleted* folder is what should be in the "root" folder of a mapped DAZ Studio library. When you try to load that sweater, DAZ Studio looks for the "data" folder directly under the root of the library the product is in. But in this case, that library is "My Library," so it's going to look for My Library/data/, but on your drive the files it's looking for are in My Library/*deleted*/data

If you want to separate out stuff by source (i.e., having that separate *deleted* folder; I do this myself), I'd suggest first moving that entire *deleted* folder somewhere else, outside of My Library, and then adding it as a mapped library: Click that menu button up above all the tabs for "Install," Content Library," "Smart Content," etc., and select "Content Directory Manager." Under "Content Sets" on the right select "DAZ Studio Formats", which will enable the Directory "Add" button on the left. Click that, and just select that root *deleted* folder (wherever you moved it to). You can even add the same root folder under "Poser Formats," if you've got any products in Poser form in there that you want to be available.

Regarding getting Install Manager to put stuff on your storage drive, how did you set that up? What I did was to go into the Install Manager Advanced Settings, on the Installation tab. In the bottom part of that screen is a table of "Label" and "Path". You can edit an existing one, or add a new one (the + button at the bottom), and then select the one you want Install Manager to use in the Content Path Shortcuts drop-down. I don't know if there's an easier way, but that let me set up an install location on my external drive, and tell Install Manager to use it by default; you'll also need to make sure that directory is added in the Content Directory Manager as described above, so DAZ Studio knows where it is.

thanks 1 user thanked EvilSteve for this useful post.
Venacular on 2/16/2020(UTC)
Venacular  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 3:35:21 PM(UTC)
Venacular

Was thanked: 138 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Thank you, Evil Steve. That was a prompt response. And it was incredibly in-depth and complete. It took some digging to find where those tools were buried, but I did find them, and make the adjustments as you explained. Everything is working beautifully. I've the small 500 GB super fast SSD C: drive to run windows and programs. Then there's a 1TB SSD D: drive housing all things DAZ. It was extremely difficult to get Install Manager to look in, and download to D:. A lot of times it kept forcing DAZ back into C:. I found that happened when I re-installed DAZ Studio, so it overwrote my settings making me start over. So going forward, I need to keep an eye on those mapped drives whenever an update may override those settings.

Thank you again for your help. It worked out great! I really appreciate your time! :-D