Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zvicario  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2019 9:48:25 AM(UTC)
zvicario

Hello everyone, I'm really hoping someone can help! I am having a black area pop up whenever I try to render my images (see pictures attached). For Golden Palace it always pops up when I try to render and for the Futalicious and Dicktator it only pops up when I add veins or any other thing like that to the penis, Any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated! :)

zvicario attached the following image(s):
Capture.JPG
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 3.JPG
Meipe  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2019 11:33:51 AM(UTC)
Meipe

Was thanked: 1233 time(s) in 614 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Meipe for this useful post.
zvicario on 5/29/2019(UTC)
zvicario  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2019 12:40:03 PM(UTC)
zvicario

Ok so what I do is I select my Genesis 3 chatacter first, then I choose the Dicktator Genitalia v3 (step 1), then I choose Dicktator Material Copy v3 (step 2), and finally I choose the Dicktator shell (step 3) and my Iray skin texture and everything is fine in the render (picture 1). But when I add a displacement (veins) I get the black render issue (picture 2). When I hide the shell like you said I get what is shown in picture 3. Thanks again for your fast reponse, I'm kind of a newbie with this stuff. :/

Capture.JPG
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 3.JPG
Meipe  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2019 4:10:39 AM(UTC)
Meipe

zvicario  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2019 7:54:11 AM(UTC)
zvicario

Yes that is correct, I don’t change anything. All the previous pictures are the same default settings.
Meipe  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 9:20:41 AM(UTC)
Meipe

It's strange, it's the first time this bug has been reported, and Dicktator is used by hundreds of people. Maybe it's a render issue, possibly related to the graphic card.

This is the result you should have with the default settings. It looks like the displacement is disabling the transparency on the blending surfaces. You said GP has the same problem... can you check if decreasing/removing the displacement on its shell surfaces solves the problem? On Golden Palace you may solve the problem removing displacement on all surfaces except the labia minora one....

Meipe attached the following image(s):
render default.jpg
remove GP displ.jpg
SnarltheWerewolf  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 5:58:33 PM(UTC)
SnarltheWerewolf

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Go into your render settings and click the "Defaults" button, it's a blue green color. See if that fixes it, it may turn off Optix and you may have to turn that back on (Optix may also be causing the issue)

I've had similar thing happen in the past where hairs that use transparency maps start throwing up these black splotches where the opacity map is. The only thing that will fix it is resetting the render engine to defaults and then making changes again.
thanks 2 users thanked SnarltheWerewolf for this useful post.
Meipe on 5/29/2019(UTC), zvicario on 5/29/2019(UTC)
zvicario  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 6:57:31 PM(UTC)
zvicario

Thank you both for the help. I tried both of your solutions and no results. However I did render it with IRAY and everything was fine with no black blob. But I use the Octane plugin for my rendering program and that is when the black blob pops up even though it doesn't in IRAY. So it seems like there is an issue with Octane which is odd. Any direction or pointers to go from here? Also I found out that if I go to the Parameters tab (while the shell is selected) and then to surfaces, I can turn off Dicktator_Genitalia_G3M_Torso_Front and the problem goes away but then the texture doesn't match the rest of the Dicktator. Thanks again for all of the help! :)

Edited by user Wednesday, May 29, 2019 7:50:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Torso 1.JPG
Torso 2.JPG
SnarltheWerewolf  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 9:09:07 PM(UTC)
SnarltheWerewolf

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'll let Meipe chime in with a better answer, but I vaguely recall people having issues with taking Dicktator to external render engines because of the geometry shells. My apologies, I thought you were rendering in Iray with Daz. I would say that if you're turning off the visibility of the shell through the parameter tab and Octane is rendering it fine then, it's probably an issue with the shell, but I'll let Meipe chime in with a more definitive answer on that.
Rysen  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 11:48:04 PM(UTC)
Rysen

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I'm having exactly the same problem with GP anbd cant find a fix. Did you work out a solution for this?

oh and I render only in Iray so it isnt an octane issue for me.

Rysen  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2020 8:30:01 AM(UTC)
Rysen

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Changing from Interactive to Photoreal fixed it for me.

thanks 1 user thanked Rysen for this useful post.
Meipe on 3/2/2020(UTC)
hardwire666  
#12 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 4:15:40 PM(UTC)
hardwire666

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
1) I have been having this problem for quite a while (D.tator, and GP) and so far have not found a fix. What I have figured out is that it has something to do with the opacity mapping and how the shell and the geo interact with each other. I don;t know enough about daz's shader system and so on to do anything more. And to be honest, i have zero interest in learning esp since i mostly export to blender.

2) When exported to Blender using an exporter addon or FBX (2014 binary) things are fine.

3)I know this doesn't fix the problem for the OP, but hopefully it give some direction for everyone and anyone else who comes across this.

All of my stuff is done int Daz 4.12.0.86 and Blender 2.82a
2scoops5  
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2020 3:16:33 AM(UTC)
2scoops5

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Both issues might be related. In newer versions of iRay two surfaces too close to each other (geometry shell) will cause an artifact. Increasing the geometry offset parameter to something reasonable (0.02 - 0.03) seems to fix it for me (although I don't use Dicktator, any item that uses geoshells will experience this).

I believe it's also a similar issue in Octane as discussed here: https://render.otoy.com/...pic.php?f=44&t=68542

Increasing the offset seems to be the fix in both cases.

Unfortunately this is neither an issue with Daz Studio or Meipe's product (or anyone elses product that utilises geometry shells) per se, but an Nvidia and Octane issue.
Meipe  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 4:53:20 AM(UTC)
Meipe

Akirael on 4/4/2020(UTC)
hardwire666  
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 9:57:58 PM(UTC)
hardwire666

So finally have had time (Virus Layoffs) to sit and pick things apart to see what exactly is going on, and I see now. I fully understand whats going on from a modeling perspective.

It is indeed an Iray thing.for sure. What was causing my confusion was when you switch between Interactive and Photoreal there is no change in the viewport and you still see a shadow cast by the shell. However when you render the shadow will not be cast as long as the render mode is in photoreal.

So, in short this can largely be ignored! Just make sure the render mode is set to Photoreal, do a quick test render to be sure, and then ignore it. If you have to use Interactive just remember you'll see the shadow cast by the shell. 

Also since I have time I'm going to keep playing with things and see if I may be able to find a fix form the Nvidia side. As well the day before I was laid off (talk about timing) I ordered an RTX2070 and will see if there is a difference when it arrives with both Studio and Standard drivers.

hardwire666  
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 10:54:58 PM(UTC)
hardwire666

Okay. Found a solution. 

Under Draw Settings be sure the draw mode is also set to Photoreal. Everything is now as you would expect.

thanks 2 users thanked hardwire666 for this useful post.
Meipe on 3/30/2020(UTC), Akirael on 4/4/2020(UTC)