2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SnarltheWerewolf  
#21 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 6:20:38 PM(UTC)
SnarltheWerewolf

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 77 post(s)

You're a bit off. Both Iray and HD morphs first dropped during the era of G2F/M not when the generation started, but about halfway through.

G3 introduced more bones in the face, and additional toe and heel bones for the feet. It also drastically reduced the base figures polys in the name of making it more "lightweight" and while HD morphs started with G2, they really took off under G3.

Originally Posted by: Zaavaleta Go to Quoted Post

I haven't upgraded to G8 and I probably won't. I do love some of the characters because they're so lifelike with the HD morphs. But I'm not spending the money to buy all the head & body morphs plus the gens when G3 works just fine for me. I have started buying some G8 clothes and they transfer to G3 pretty easily, so I'm happy. I'm probably going to wait and upgrade to G9 when it comes out, whenever that is.

Besides, if they tried to release G9 now, I don't think there's any new technology they could use as a selling point.

G1's main selling point was weight mapping, plus a ton of other stuff (advanced ERC, cross gender clothes swapping)

G2 ?????

G3 coincided with the introduction of Iray

G8 introduced HD morphs

G9 ??? - Dforce and strand based hair, maybe. But those can be applied to any model with a little effort.

diogenese19348  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 11:25:59 AM(UTC)
diogenese19348

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Riversoft and Sickleyield have been doing a lot of products that allow you to move content up to G8. Honestly I went to G8 simply because the 3rd party naughty bits worked a lot better with G8 then they did for G3. That has since evened out some, but Golden Palace is what sold me on G8. Posing is also a bit better, expressions are pretty much the same between the two. I don't pick up much for G3 any more in the way of poses.
They make clothes for V4? Why??
Dareshiranu  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 8:50:27 AM(UTC)
Dareshiranu

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Originally Posted by: davo Go to Quoted Post
I know Freeone is making G8 poses for all my new stuff recently. You might want to ping him if you have an older product since dreadworks 4 that you'd like converted.

I just find it pretty lame to have to buy the scene with G3 poses and then pay more money for duplicate poses for the current G8 figure. Virtually (pun intended) all other vendors who have multiple/duplicate pose sets just include both by default and don't devalue their product by making poses cost more to make the initial product useable.

Zaavaleta  
#24 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 5:39:08 AM(UTC)
Zaavaleta

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 63 post(s)

Originally Posted by: SnarltheWerewolf Go to Quoted Post

You're a bit off. Both Iray and HD morphs first dropped during the era of G2F/M not when the generation started, but about halfway through.

G3 introduced more bones in the face, and additional toe and heel bones for the feet. It also drastically reduced the base figures polys in the name of making it more "lightweight" and while HD morphs started with G2, they really took off under G3.

Originally Posted by: Zaavaleta Go to Quoted Post

I haven't upgraded to G8 and I probably won't. I do love some of the characters because they're so lifelike with the HD morphs. But I'm not spending the money to buy all the head & body morphs plus the gens when G3 works just fine for me. I have started buying some G8 clothes and they transfer to G3 pretty easily, so I'm happy. I'm probably going to wait and upgrade to G9 when it comes out, whenever that is.

Besides, if they tried to release G9 now, I don't think there's any new technology they could use as a selling point.

G1's main selling point was weight mapping, plus a ton of other stuff (advanced ERC, cross gender clothes swapping)

G2 ?????

G3 coincided with the introduction of Iray

G8 introduced HD morphs

G9 ??? - Dforce and strand based hair, maybe. But those can be applied to any model with a little effort.

Oops. I didn't know that about the HD morphs. I've seen a few for G3, but I just figured those were added after G8's release. Anyway, it looks like they're concentrating more on improving Daz Studio right now and less on introducing a new character, which is good. I don't have money to spend on a new character(gens, morph packs, clothes, etc), especially when G3 is working fine for me. For me the best thing about DS (besides Iray) is autofit, being able to fit V4-G8 clothes to the figure I'm using. Not everything works, but it's still better than the old Wardrobe Wizard/Crossdresser stuff in Poser.

I'm just happy to see they're improving DS. The biggest thing I'd like to see at this point is a native Linux version.