Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Trenchdweller  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 3:11:45 PM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

I just purchased two products. I've only tried to load one. The product is DaYin's Ren Vao. At first, I deposited The zip in 'My Daz 3D Library'. Didn't work. I went back to the read-me and read it carefully. It asked me to install the zip. content into the 'My Library' folder. I did so, and while the morphs and necessary accouterment appeared in 'the 'My Library' content section under People/Genesis 8/ Female/Character/ Ren Yao, the aforementioned morphs will not apply to a Genesis 8 Female. Apparently, I am incapable of comprehending why some products (even by the same vendor) are put in 'My Daz 3d Library' and others in 'My Library. 'DaYins  'Lin Xi', which I purchased previously, worked seamlessly. Ren Vao? a train wreck.

I try to support the places in which I post my images, But am growing fearful of what miseries the next purchase will bring. I can only follow the instructions in the read-me. If they don't work? Too bad so sad. Why complicate matters by sending everything to 'My Library?
I've tried several times to load it, re-start Daz, nothing seems to work. What am I missing? Please help.

Trenchdweller  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 4:17:41 PM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

To give credit where credit is due, the second product I purchased, (as I mentioned) Azarea Dark Pleasure Suit By LEONdigital, loaded flawlessly.
Go figure. Good job, Leondigital!
BrotherHades  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 3:54:06 AM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 296 time(s) in 236 post(s)

It really doesn't matter whether you use Content, My Library, or My DAZ Library. As long as the folders are moved correctly to whatever set up you use (I am an old school user from the Public Beta days so I use the old Content folder on an external drive)   So if you use My Library for example you extract the .zip and open the folders till you get inside the folder that contains the folders for Data, People, Props, Runtime, etc and drag all that stuff into the My Library folder that you have mapped under DAZ Studio.

When you moved Ren Yao to My Library did you make sure to move the Data folder as well as the people and Runtime Folders.

If so and it is still not loading it might help to show a screen shot of any error messages it throws up when trying to load Ren Yao 

Zaavaleta  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 4:12:48 AM(UTC)
Zaavaleta

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 63 post(s)

I don't know what the purpose was behind Daz creating the two different folder systems. I do know that all the content you get from Daz installs itself in the My Daz3d Library, and any scenes you save go to My Library/Scenes by default. So I'm guessing that the My Library folder is for user installed content, stuff you downloaded or created yourself.

As long as you have DS set to read both libraries, content should work in either one, but I'm not sure about morphs, I've never tried putting them in My Library. If the author recommends putting the files there, then I'm guessing he already tested it and it works.

Thunder-3D  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 5:15:16 AM(UTC)
Thunder-3D

Was thanked: 236 time(s) in 157 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Zaavaleta Go to Quoted Post

I don't know what the purpose was behind Daz creating the two different folder systems. I do know that all the content you get from Daz installs itself in the My Daz3d Library, and any scenes you save go to My Library/Scenes by default. So I'm guessing that the My Library folder is for user installed content, stuff you downloaded or created yourself.

As long as you have DS set to read both libraries, content should work in either one, but I'm not sure about morphs, I've never tried putting them in My Library. If the author recommends putting the files there, then I'm guessing he already tested it and it works.

I've asked about this and the reply I got was pretty much what you're describing. The intention is that the "My Daz 3D Library" folder is for assets purchased from DAZ, and the "My Library" is intended for 3rd party content and user created content.

Personaly I install everything to "My Daz 3D Library" to keep everything together, never had a problem that way. :)

Trenchdweller  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 8:26:23 AM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

Thanks so much to everyone. Your insights have truly been helpful as far as explaining the difference and the need for the two libraries. I'm going to go through and remove all the content and try again. I know the products are thoroughly tested, but with certain packages normal installation just does not work on my computer. It's not hard to copy and paste content from a zip. file and paste it wherever the read me suggests. For whatever reason, my computer or simply the Daz platform does not like entries into 'My Libraries. Of course, you never know until you purchase a product and are able to study the read me exactly what kind of loading system you are required to use.

Brotherhades? Yes, I did install the entire content of the zip, file to the proper locations.

Thanks again to everyone.
Trenchdweller  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 8:47:28 AM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

Well, following the information on the read me as to what files were included, I deleted everything in the read me. I then installed the contents zip file as directed, with the same results. I suppose the logical thing to do would be to write DaYin's product off as a loss and move on. Someone above mentioned including a screenshot of any error reports.

Trenchdweller attached the following image(s):
Missed files.JPG
Zaavaleta  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 10:55:17 AM(UTC)
Zaavaleta

Originally Posted by: Trenchdweller Go to Quoted Post
Well, following the information on the read me as to what files were included, I deleted everything in the read me. I then installed the contents zip file as directed, with the same results. I suppose the logical thing to do would be to write DaYin's product off as a loss and move on. Someone above mentioned including a screenshot of any error reports.

I don't have the product, but I looked at the readme file and the filenames look different than what's in your error message:

Product Title: Ren Yao For G8F
Author: DaYin
Product Date: Feb, 2019
Product Copyright: DaYin

http://www.cgbytes.com/content-artists/DaYin/1431

--------------
Needed Files List and System Required:

Daz Studio 4.10+
Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials

--------------
Please extract the Zip file into your 'My Library' folder

--------------
Files List and Exact folder names & locations:

:\My Library\Runtime\Textures\DaYin\Ren Yao\
Ren YaoArmsMapC.jpg
Ren YaoArmsMapB.jpg
Ren YaoArmsMapS.jpg
Ren YaoArmsMapRoughness.jpg
Ren YaoFaceMapC.jpg
Ren YaoFaceMapB.jpg
Ren YaoFaceMapS.jpg
Ren YaoFaceMapRoughness.jpg
Ren YaoLegsMapC.jpg
Ren YaoLegsMapB.jpg
Ren YaoLegsMapS.jpg
Ren YaoLegsMapRoughness.jpg
Ren YaoMouthMapC.jpg
Ren YaoMouthMapB.jpg
Ren YaoTorsoMapC.jpg
Ren YaoTorsoMapB.jpg
Ren YaoTorsoMapS.jpg
Ren YaoTorsoMapRoughness.jpg
Ren YaoEyesMap01.jpg
Ren YaoEyesMap02.jpg
Ren YaoEyesMap03.jpg
Ren YaoEyesMap04.jpg
Ren YaoEyesMap05.jpg
Ren YaoEyesMapB.jpg
Ren YaoLipsMap01.jpg
Ren YaoLipsMap02.jpg
Ren YaoLipsMap03.jpg
Ren YaoLipsMap04.jpg
Ren YaoLipsMap05.jpg
Ren YaoFaceMapMU01.jpg
Ren YaoFaceMapMU02.jpg
Ren YaoFaceMapMU03.jpg
Ren YaoFaceMapMU04.jpg
Ren YaoEyeslashesMapAlpha.jpg...

In your error message there are no spaces in the image names. In the readme, it has spaces in them. So that could definitely explain why DS isn't finding the files it's looking for. Your best bet is to navigate to that folder and see what's actually there. If all else fails, contact the author or whoever does customer support. Good luck.

Trenchdweller  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 11:24:44 AM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

Thanks, Zaavaleta. I did go back and check the files listed above, and you are correct. There is a space in the error message that does not appear in the actual file. Your idea about connecting support is good, but with the hours I've invested in trying to fix the thing, it's almost like throwing good money (or time) after bad. I am to the point to where I'd rather just take the loss and remind myself to avoid products by this artist in the future. I'm sure he/she didn't mean to create such a problem. What really has me scratching my head, is how did this make it through the testing process?

Thanks to everyone for taking their valuable time to respond. Hopefully, the problem will be brought to the attention of the artist in some form or another.
BrotherHades  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2019 2:15:38 AM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 296 time(s) in 236 post(s)

What really has me scratching my head, is how did this make it through the testing process?

Theoretically it would not be too hard, if the item failed a first test, and DaYin corrected the files, then submitted the corrected .zip. If the second test was then given to the same tester, and the tester overwrote the old files with the new files rather than deleting all the files from the first zip from their machine. It would create a situation where both sets of files could co-exist on the testers machine and if the spaced files were there on the testers machine as well as the non spaced files it would cause the tester to not see the path error since both sets of the textures would be present. I have also seen issues where in some cases the program used to extract the .zip files can add extra information like a space on the end of the folders and files which caused path errors as well. There are also cases with morphs and geo grafted items where they may not interact correctly with morphs the end user has installed, that the tester's did not have on their machine. So there are various ways an item can pass testing and not always work right on the end user's machine.

simontemplar  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2019 4:48:50 AM(UTC)
simontemplar

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 100 post(s)
At any rate, this is an easily spottable goof. Me, I usually don't bother copying the "my library" folder and just crack it open, then copy the stuff that's inside.
"That was fun. Let's do it again."
Trenchdweller  
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2019 1:13:13 PM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

I agree. I don't pretend to understand the process of creating a character. I am a babe in the woods when it comes to that. Years ago, I decided I would make my own character. I got the V3 or V4 template, (don't recall what was most popular at the time) went out and bought a set of hundreds of nude female images that were available at the time, and prepared myself for some very intensive time-consuming work. Boy, I didn't know how consuming! All those seams...all those seams!!!

I decided I liked other people's characters better. End of my attempt to become the greatest character maker ever. Curses! Foiled again!

So I admire those with the patience and intellect that endure the misery involved in being successful at what they do. I salute you. I also understand that innocent mistakes are made. (No-one intentionally wants to make a flawed product. What would be the point?)

As I mentioned above, I will just write this off as a loss. It seems like 75% of what I buy here installs flawlessly. The rest? Not quite there yet. However, the odds are still in my favor, so I still take the chance.

All I can do with a download bound for Daz and by the instructions of the included readme is to dump the contents into 'My DAZ3D Library' or the increasingly popular 'My Library' (Which ends up looking like the proverbial cluster f*ck) and hope for the best.

Thanks to BrotherHades for your continuing help and comments.
And thanks to you, simontemplar for your help. I use the same method as you. I crack the 'My Library' folder and drop the content there.
Zaavaleta  
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2019 5:21:26 PM(UTC)
Zaavaleta

I agree. I don't pretend to understand the process of creating a character. I am a babe in the woods when it comes to that. Years ago, I decided I would make my own character. I got the V3 or V4 template, (don't recall what was most popular at the time) went out and bought a set of hundreds of nude female images that were available at the time, and prepared myself for some very intensive time-consuming work. Boy, I didn't know how consuming! All those seams...all those seams!!!

I decided I liked other people's characters better. End of my attempt to become the greatest character maker ever. Curses! Foiled again!

So I admire those with the patience and intellect that endure the misery involved in being successful at what they do. I salute you. I also understand that innocent mistakes are made. (No-one intentionally wants to make a flawed product. What would be the point?)

As I mentioned above, I will just write this off as a loss. It seems like 75% of what I buy here installs flawlessly. The rest? Not quite there yet. However, the odds are still in my favor, so I still take the chance.

All I can do with a download bound for Daz and by the instructions of the included readme is to dump the contents into 'My DAZ3D Library' or the increasingly popular 'My Library' (Which ends up looking like the proverbial cluster f*ck) and hope for the best.

Thanks to BrotherHades for your continuing help and comments.
And thanks to you, simontemplar for your help. I use the same method as you. I crack the 'My Library' folder and drop the content there.

I'm working towards being a content creator, but I'm nowhere close yet. I've gained a totally new respect for these guys(and gals) over the past year or so. If you want to be a content creator, I can tell you that creating a new character is probably the most difficult task you could have chosen. All the modeling required, plus making it compatible with the morphs that are already available, not to mention the customer service headaches would make it nearly impossible for a beginner. If you want to get started, you could just concentrate on what you're good at. There are some vendors who only do poses, others only do simple props, or texture add-ons. I don't know how much any of them make, but if they've been doing it for a year or more, I assume they are making some type of profit. Anyway, good luck, and I'm sorry the product didn't work out for you. I don't know if the product author has seen this thread, but I hope the mods see it and look into that issue.

Trenchdweller  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2019 9:00:43 PM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

Thanks for the encouraging words, Zaavaleta, but I'm afraid I've lost interest in the technical end. I'm more into entertaining myself. I'm an easy taskmaster. I do only what I like. I've avoided being a creator and having to make only what I think will sell. I doubt many make big money, (certainly not enough as primary income.) and it's as you said, a lot of intensive labor. I've never had the patience to deal with annoyingly difficult tasks. Fortunately, I am not in dire need of an alternate income. I'd rather make pretty pictures with other's work. We are many and the consumers support the vendor's efforts. It's a symbiotic relationship. Neither could exist without the other on sites such as this.

Bees make honey. Creators make the flower.
Trenchdweller  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 1:53:15 PM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

If there's a prize or award for being dimwit of the week, I'd like to enter myself into contention. When I purchased my first product from DaYin, it was wonderful. Flawless integration into the program.

Secondly, I purchased Ren Yao, feeling comfortable that since the first had performed so well, that Ren Yao would perform similarly. Not so. Trainwreck. I can usually fix broken content by manually making sure each individual folder is properly placed. I get an error message with broken code. Nothing I can do much about.

Liking 'Kim' by DaYin, and hoping problems with Ren Yao was a fluke, I decided to give DaYin another chance. ::::hitting self in the side of head with shoe:::: Same deal all over again. 'Sigh' some of us never learn until after the third time. No more DaYin products for me. Caveat Emptor.
simontemplar  
#16 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2019 5:09:20 AM(UTC)
simontemplar

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 100 post(s)
What was the character you tried after Ren Yao? Can you tell me wha the folder structure was inside Ren Yao's Library folder?
"That was fun. Let's do it again."