Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
simontemplar  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 5:47:30 AM(UTC)
simontemplar

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 100 post(s)

Some time ago, someone asked in the forums about a mask made of silk/nylon made from ladies undergarments, akin to those worn by gangsters when they attack a bank or some other place to ransack it. I can't find that topic again for the sake of my own life but in case the person who asked for it might still be around, I think I just figured out how to do it. I hope it helps.

The solution I devised makes use of two products: LightBLUE's dForce condom and a shaders presets kit called Uber+Iray Sheer and Silky

- First, you'll have to position your gangster, and that includes giving him an expression that won't be too extreme, due to the process limitations. You want to avoid poke-through. 

- Then, load the condom. Orient it over the character's head, enlarge it as needed. Make sure nothing of the character's head pokes through the condom at this stage. 

- Now, define the collision item in the condom's Parameters tab as being the character.

- Launch you simulation.

- Once this is done, you might want to lrun a quick, low profile render or two, to identify poke-through spots. Using the thickness settings provided with LightBLUE's condom, you will probably improve on    the situation a bit. Then, playing with the Smoothing and Collision iterations values in the condom's Parameters tab, you will easily eliminate the remaining glitches.

-The last bit: using the Sheer and Silky shader presets, give your condom the texture and shine of a lady's nylon stocking. I tried with silk, but it doesn't work as well as nylon, for some reason. It   doesn't look threatening enough :). Playing with the different options in there, you will most certainly find a look that rocks your boat.

I would recommend that you morph the ears closer to the head on the gangster's head. Two reasons for that: first, a stocking would press a human ear against the head anyway, due to the tension in the fabric. Secondly, that will prevent more poke-through. 

Note: you have two ways to go with this method. You can either do the whole thing and not move your character or repose him/her at all, or you'll have to parent the condom/stocking to your character's head before you move that person around in your scene. The condom is not a conformable item and will not reshape itself. If you change your character's general stance, lock the parts which are in direct contact with the mask as to... yes, you guessed it: avoid poke-through.

There you go! I hope this little trick I came up with will be useful to some of you out there. I had fun experimenting with that and I'd like to tip my hat to LightBLUE for this versatile condom product. Not only does it make a really nifty mask, but it proves an important point: bank robbers and burglars really are a bunch of dicks. 

Edited by user Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:04:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"That was fun. Let's do it again."
thanks 1 user thanked simontemplar for this useful post.
banditcameraman on 2/10/2019(UTC)
SnarltheWerewolf  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:14:11 AM(UTC)
SnarltheWerewolf

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 77 post(s)

Cool tip! Thanks for sharing.

Something you might want to try for poke through is one of my best quick tricks. Make an all white image file, and then drop it in the displacement map channel.  Start with the max at .10 and then raise if you still have poke through, or lower it until you start to see the first "poke". This mixes a ton of those "little bits" that smoothing and collision doesn't take care of.

Posting an example of the base mesh with poke through highlighted on the left, and how it looks when rendered with the displacement map removing the poke through bits.

thanks 1 user thanked SnarltheWerewolf for this useful post.
banditcameraman on 2/10/2019(UTC)
simontemplar  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:54:57 AM(UTC)
simontemplar

Thanks, I didn't know that one :) I'll try it next time the occasion presents itself!
SnarltheWerewolf  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 2:30:05 PM(UTC)
SnarltheWerewolf

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 77 post(s)
You're very welcome. Thank you for sharing yours. Always enjoy learning and teaching new tricks.
Zaavaleta  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 3:36:51 PM(UTC)
Zaavaleta

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 63 post(s)

Nice work! That's the best stocking mask I've seen in Poser or DS so far. Always fun to learn new things.

simontemplar  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 6:32:27 PM(UTC)
simontemplar

Glad you like it :) It hit me while I was watching a heist movie ^^;