Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ebonix115  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2024 8:52:25 PM(UTC)
Ebonix115

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 53 post(s)

I've decided to pick back up on doing 3d work for real (since I'm making a little money off my erotic writing now) and animation is something I've always wanted to do. Though I'm not the best, I'd still like to know what others tht do animate do for theirs. For starters - What kind of rig do you have? I've got a 3060 with 16GB of RAM sitting in the corner of my room (waiting to buy something that's closer to 100G of RAM). But I just recently learned that some people have PCs with two graphics cards!!! Insane! So now I'm wondering - Is my 3060 even worth it at this point? Should I start looking into that 4060 I've heard a lot about?

Mind you, I really don't want to spend another 3k-5k on another PC and would rather build up on what I have, but the more I think about it, the more I feel like that might not be possible (will have to get a bigger case for starters). 

So let's chat about animation and the tools/assets we use to make them! 

Fafard  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2024 3:32:07 AM(UTC)
Fafard

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I recently purchased an Alienware m16 laptop by Dell for a little under 3K. The Processor is a 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900HX 2.20 GHz It has 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable) of RAM. The single video card is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Laptop GPU with 6GB. It has a 1GB Solid state hard drive. It will render a picture in DAZ 4.22 such as this Image: Morning Dew TFR in 2 minutes or less. Close ups such as this one: Morning Dew ACU in about five minutes. Some really detailed renders with more light play (reflective surfaces etc) can take up to seven minutes. Compared to the 45 minutes I spend posing the models for a single shot, and the 15 minutes I spend on each photo in Adobe Light Room and Adobe Photoshop, I can deal with those render times.  
I am working on animating some of the scenes in my upcoming serial; Shameless Plug and I recently rendered a set of 30 images to that effect on my laptop with the purpose of making a GIF. DAZ required approximately 26 minutes to render all 30 QHD* images and write them directly to Disk. All of that said, I am hoping to buy another desktop system, one day, and have it dedicated to design. I hope this helps.

* I have updated this statement.  After posting this, I went back into DAZ this morning and checked my render settings for that sequence,  it is set to Quad High Def (QHD) not Ultra High Def.  I then set DAZ ro UHD and Rendered a few close ups of my new girl, Dhalia (Gen 8.1 series), for the MAD Series and in UHD rendering a close up took more like 10 - 12 minutes.  A render that was not a close up took between 4 and 9 minutes.  That's still not bad IMHO.

Edited by user Thursday, February 8, 2024 10:25:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Render times vs. settings were not divulged correctly.