Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sstpa  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2023 10:13:14 AM(UTC)
Sstpa

I’ve become a big fan of 3d adult comics over the last few years and wanted to dip my toe in and try making some of my own art.

I know that there is a lot to learn and it’s going to take a long time. I was wondering what programs are the best to use with each other? Also, I know I don’t have the best set up for this as I have a MacBook Pro with 8gb of ram, but I was wondering if that would greatly diminish the quality I can produce or if it would just take a lot longer to render and be hard on my laptop?

Also, I’m looking into getting a better set up but due to my travelling for work, it would need to be a laptop. What do you guys think would be a good entry level set up? I don’t have the money to go buy a nvidia laptop, but any recommendations of a cheaper laptop that I could upgrade myself, and what upgrades you would suggest, would be a huge help.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, I’m really excited to have found this community and I hope I can become a part of it.

X
Seven-ol  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2023 1:04:32 PM(UTC)
Seven-ol

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi,
Unfortunately, all these programs (Daz Studio, Poser and even Blender) will require a lot of power computing.
With a lower-end laptop you will have problems loading figures, manipulate them for posing and modifying without lags on the display, that's really the most problematic part.
As for rendering, it will take ages, which is not a problem per se.

May I suggest that you begin with Poser ? Try to find an old license, for instance Poser 11 "pro" and V4/M4 weight-mapped AKA Vicky or Michael 4, if they are still available somewhere with the necessary "privies", depending on your needs.
Do not spend a lot of cash on Genesis 8 or 9 : this hobby can be really costly !
A few years ago, I tried using Daz-Studio with a laptop and a 1060 Nvidia video card, it was really a PITA.
At the very least, you will need a mouse : touchpads are really not sufficiently precise.

Another option would be to begin with 2D with something like GIMP or any other painting program : after all, you can be really creative without needing a power hog !
My own computer is aging : I have 2 Nvidia 2080 Tx Cards, an I9 7920X and 64 Gb of RAM. My next buy will probably be an Nvidia with at least 12 Gb of VRAM, 24 if it exists in the near future. I think I'll skip the 4000 series and wait for the 5000.
Good luck !

Centenox  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2023 1:33:29 AM(UTC)
Centenox

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Follow this discussion cause La Femme 2 for Poser will have soon a decent genitals!
Support the creator Darkseal and don't miss the opportunity to be part of the creation.

https://www.renderotica....g=0&cmsn=#post535644
TheBitterGent  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2023 1:38:49 AM(UTC)
TheBitterGent

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Considering your going to need NVIDIA GPU (for IRAY) very min 1080+, then the cost of the rest of the rig, and later assets.
While Daz Studio is technically free, and Blender is funded through donations. Given Blenders abilities, advancements, and mass of tutorial content, I would go there for 3D.
You will also want to do post work in an editor in something better than subpar free versions, cheaper versions than Adobe subscriptions, like Affinity.
At the end of the day if you are just going in as a hobbyist for 2d renders, cheaper, faster, and arguably better results... I hate to say it.... but looking at the industry.... AI man.

Whatever you choose should be current, because starting out its only going be to teach you a foundation to apply to the next tech evolution that makes what you now learned on obsolete.

Don't want to discourage anyone. However, a fair warning, just realize that, that small hole or little hill, can be more like a canyon or a mountain up close. About 80% of the magic is in making it look easy.

Happy Rendering.