Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Seven-ol  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 13, 2023 12:17:06 PM(UTC)
Seven-ol

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)

I think I bought about every available rope/bondage sets, none are really satisfying.

I have some cheap 3d programs : Hexagon 2, Carrara 8, Blender, plus an old version of 3d Coat.

I also have a very old thing called "Rope Maker" by Kawecki which needs a lot of try and fail and in which texturing is very limited.

I'm a monomaniac of mild outdoor bondage, bending a rope around a tree or any natural thing, is painstaking and the results are generally poor.

I would like to import a Gen figure and try my hand at splines. I recently bought an X-Pen tablet for this. Hexagon is prone to unexpected crashes. Blender is intimidating

Could someone give me some hints ?

It would be very appreciated

Thanks a lot

ZenMaster3D  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 13, 2023 2:48:18 PM(UTC)
ZenMaster3D

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 97 post(s)

What exactly is it that you didn't like about the existing props?

Because if this is about the difficulty with posing then I can assure you that making your own rope won't change any of that. The issue at hand: rigging. In other words: the definition of the places in which the mesh needs to be able to bend.

Ropes and hoses and even chains are often rigged in a way where each segment is very short; this makes it harder to pose, but it's also required because otherwise you wouldn't be able to create soft curves around an object, instead it might appear as if a rope gets "folded" using sharp edges.

So I don't think you'll gain much here by trying to create rope yourself. Instead, why not look for pose packs? Most popular rope collections also provide ready to use pose presets which you can use to set things up.

Take for example these 2 products I found on the Renderotica catalog: Tight Binding for girls consists of 10 "rope parts" and as you can see in the description is specifically mentions "rigid objects" whereas others rely on morphs. So you're also buying into wearable props which you can simply "apply" to a figure.  Another example would be the Tight rope kit; you'll notice that the artist mentions the rope prop, a magnet prop but also the inclusion of pose files where applicable. 

Do note that I don't own either product myself, I'm merely pointing these out as means of example.

Maybe food for thought?

thanks 1 user thanked ZenMaster3D for this useful post.
BoobsAcademy on 4/14/2023(UTC)
davo  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 13, 2023 7:16:19 PM(UTC)
davo

Was thanked: 281 time(s) in 165 post(s)
Ropes are a BITCH, it's why I mostly use chains in my sets.

As ZenMaster3D mentions, close coiling makes the segments look choppy unless you have bending in the rigging. You need a LOT of segments and they need to be short so they don't kink. The other problem with ropes is you really need to add easypose or some bending morphs to make it easier to deal with.

I rig all my props and figures in Poser and use Ajax's Easypose Underground to add all the easypose rigging.

You could look at daz and check out SY dForce Ropes, Vines and Tubes package, probably has what you need in there already. I've seen some rope props at the other rendo site that look cool as end caps and knots for ropes, might be some here, too.

D

thanks 1 user thanked davo for this useful post.
BoobsAcademy on 4/14/2023(UTC)
Seven-ol  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2023 5:19:39 AM(UTC)
Seven-ol

Originally Posted by: davo Go to Quoted Post
Ropes are a BITCH, it's why I mostly use chains in my sets.

As ZenMaster3D mentions, close coiling makes the segments look choppy unless you have bending in the rigging. You need a LOT of segments and they need to be short so they don't kink. The other problem with ropes is you really need to add easypose or some bending morphs to make it easier to deal with.

I rig all my props and figures in Poser and use Ajax's Easypose Underground to add all the easypose rigging.

You could look at daz and check out SY dForce Ropes, Vines and Tubes package, probably has what you need in there already. I've seen some rope props at the other rendo site that look cool as end caps and knots for ropes, might be some here, too.

D

Thanks Davo. I (finally) understand why your packages are with chains and rigid contraptions. I'll give try at SY dforce package. I did with a lot of regrets abandoned Poser a few years ago (at 11 as I remember)

Rope props are generally too small or too long, modifying the length brings texture problems. A for those with segments it about the same : too long segments will not follow realistically the path and too shorts are awfully hard to use.

Hence my idea to draw splines even if it's for a single image.

davo  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2023 9:40:21 AM(UTC)
davo

Was thanked: 281 time(s) in 165 post(s)
I agree, if it's for a one-off image I'd make a static rope prop. The easypose ropes do let you lengthen and shorten the ropes either from a single control node or if rigged properly, an overall from start to end of rope, but as you mention, the texturing then becomes squished.

I pretty much just use poser now for rigging before import into ds, and that let's me pick up the poser market, small as it is.
Pushee-Ri  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2023 9:51:32 AM(UTC)
Pushee-Ri

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 171 post(s)
Hi Seven-ol, I hesitated to write something this morning because my tip is really only something for a single scene, pose and position. But now that you yourself write about "a single image", the following might possibly help you:

In Blender it is possible to apply the "Shrinkwrap Tool" to Becier Circles as well. I.e. theoretically you can create a first rope loop around your model with a few steps - at first only as a line, later with the "Curve Tools" then in 3D.

Another option would be to do almost everything via textures (bump, displacement, etc) on a tight fitting object (Cylinder) that is fitted to the body with "Shrinkwrap".

All this cannot be explained easily - and especially not in just a few words. If you are interested, feel free to send me a PM. I'm busy with new projects at the moment ... but I might find time for more detailed explanations.
TheBitterGent  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2023 4:53:40 PM(UTC)
TheBitterGent

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Search youtube for modeling 3d ropes in blender for descriptive how to's.

A simpler, yet maybe of lesser quality method. In a photo editor / illustrator. (Photoshop, Affinity, Gimp...) find a rope brush online and "paint" the rope on where you need it in post.
Will need multiple layers to adjust the shadow fall.
Seven-ol  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2023 4:19:50 PM(UTC)
Seven-ol

Hi TBG
I think I will try the Blender route, it's probably harder, but I need to learn new things.
At my age, it's a necessity !

I watched a few YouTube tutorials, watching is totally really different from applying !

Edited by user Tuesday, April 18, 2023 4:21:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified