Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OhNoSheDied  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2023 4:55:42 AM(UTC)
OhNoSheDied

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

*deleted*

I got my first expression pack today and it only kinda works? some of them will work like advertised others do nothing and some only change her face a bit? I definitley am using it for g8. am i supposed to have a certain node targeted when i use these?</p>

Edited by moderator Tuesday, March 21, 2023 1:43:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Community Policy Violation - Links and/or Site References

Pushee-Ri  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2023 7:30:07 AM(UTC)
Pushee-Ri

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 170 post(s)
Not quite sure - but sounds as if you need some more morph(targets). How is your GF8 set up: Starter Essentials (free)? Body Morphs (commercial)? Face Expressions (commercial)? If you have less than 10 - 12 expressions ( Posing -> Head -> Expressions) this normally means that not all required morphs are installed / bought.

Twisted_Pencil  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2023 10:48:18 AM(UTC)
Twisted_Pencil

Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 82 post(s)

As Rollemops says the author may have created expressions using character morphs that are not in the default G8F install.

Check in the log for clues, you may see missing morph target warnings.

Another thing is, are you sure the expression set is for G8F and not G8.1F, there is a difference in that area between the two.
There is also a facial controls option for G8.1F in Starter Essentials, that has to be applied and the node selected if using expressions that are designed for it.

...and it is a freebie, did the author know / care what they were doing?

There are some brilliant freebies out there donated by really gifted people who just do it for fun but there are many duff ones too.
I'm just here by mistake, for a friend, for science... anyway you can't prove nuffin'.
thanks 1 user thanked Twisted_Pencil for this useful post.
OhNoSheDied on 3/21/2023(UTC)
Thunder-3D  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2023 12:48:18 PM(UTC)
Thunder-3D

Was thanked: 237 time(s) in 158 post(s)

Originally Posted by: OhNoSheDied Go to Quoted Post

*deleted*

I got my first expression pack today and it only kinda works? some of them will work like advertised others do nothing and some only change her face a bit? I definitley am using it for g8. am i supposed to have a certain node targeted when i use these?

Expression packs are very specific between 8 and 8.1. They're not cross compatible at all. It's due to differences in the facial bone rigging, as well as many face sliders being renamed or removed on 8.1.

When applying the wrong expression to the wrong figure, you will see the facial expression change a bit, but not correctly.

When creating expression packs for 8.1, I found the 8.1 face much better overall with superior results, however it relied much heavier on posing the facial bones than 8.0 did.

I have not found any pose builder/pose corrector product that properly converts expressions between the two versions of G8/8.1

Body poses are completely cross compatible between 8.0 and 8.1.

Hope this info is helpful :)

Edited by moderator Tuesday, March 21, 2023 1:43:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Thunder-3D for this useful post.
haruchai  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2023 1:27:45 PM(UTC)
haruchai

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)

If you check the comments section on the link from the OP then you'll find someone had the same issue and discovered that you need to have the Genesis 8 Female Expressions DAZ Original product specifically installed as these expressions use some of the pose controls from that.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 21, 2023 1:33:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarity

thanks 1 user thanked haruchai for this useful post.
OhNoSheDied  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2023 1:48:22 PM(UTC)
OhNoSheDied

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Originally Posted by: haruchai Go to Quoted Post

If you check the comments section on the link from the OP then you'll find someone had the same issue and discovered that you need to have the Genesis 8 Female Expressions DAZ Original product specifically installed as these expressions use some of the pose controls from that.

Yep that's the problem :(

ZenMaster3D  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2023 5:08:26 PM(UTC)
ZenMaster3D

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 97 post(s)

Sorry for a late response but.. oh well, that's the bane of this forum I guess.

Each to their own, but if you ask me then expression packs are seriously overhyped and in most cases only get you so far. See, the problem is that the visibility of expressions often depend on the character you're working with. For some the face change will be more drastic than others, it's a given. Meaning that eventually you're bound to mess around with the individual sliders anyway.

Expressions are honestly not that hard to do... Click on the head of, say, G8 and watch all the morphs that you got available. You can normally move just about everything around: eyes, brows, mouth, tongue..  more than enough to set up something of your own.

Which is my suggestion..  grab your favorite character, check the sliders and build your own collection.