Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pushee-Ri  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2022 2:10:44 AM(UTC)
Pushee-Ri

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 168 post(s)

Hi everyone,

this short tutorial (I like to call it "article") is part of one of my future projects.If you like to view a HTML version, take a look at my Artist Studio (Profile), where you find the link to my homepage. OK - let's start:

How to create a Geometry Shell

Compared to other things in the Studio app like geometry editing or weight painting, it's "easy" to create a Geometry Shell. It takes longer to read this guide (5 minutes) than to set up and tune a Geo Shell (2-3 minutes).

Step 1: Create the Geo Shell

• open a new and empty scene

• load your favourite model without clothes, hair, etc.

• from the main menu select "Create" ➔ "New Geometry Shell ..."

• leave all presets untouched and click "Accept".

That's it! You have created a Geometry Shell.

Tip: If you want to use genitals, add them to the model before you create the Geometry Shell. I have tested this with the great "Golden Palace" and "Dicktator" from Meipe - no problems.

Step 2: Fine tuning the Geo Shell

The newly created Geometry Shell looks like a really pale second skin, covering not only the body, but also the nails and eyes. Let's fix this!

Hint: If you use a G9 model, the eyes are not covered, but you can edit the nails.

With the Geo Shell (not the model) selected in the "Scene" pane switch to the "Parameters" pane and select Shell

You will see many names of body parts, each with an "on/off" button. Here you can specify whether the selected body part should be covered by the shell or not.

Go through the list of body parts and turn off the ones that should not be covered with the shell. For the eyes I usually switch off:

EyeMoisture
EyeSocket
Irises
Pupils
Sclera
lEye
rEye

The nails are easier - just switch off:

Fingernails
Toenails

Congratulations! You have created and fine-tuned your own Geo Shell within 2.26 minutes ;-)

Time to save your work:

Tip: I recommend saving the Geo Shell as a "Scene Subset". This way you can load the shell in any scene by double clicking on your saved work.

The shell has an other option located in the "Parameter" pane: General ➔ Mesh Offset

With the slider "Offset Distance (cm)" you can edit the distance between the Geometry Shell and the Skin of your model. Decrease the value and the skin of the model begins to "swallow" the shell. When you increase the value, the shell turns into something like the Hulk.

Step 3: Iray shader for the Geo Shell

Switch the display mode of your viewport to "NVIDIA Iray".

With the Geo Shell selected in the "Scene" pane and also in the "Surfaces" pane you can literally transfer any shader preset you have to the shell.

In the "Surfaces" pane switch to the "Presets" tab ➔ Shaders ➔ Iray. Starting from "Architectural", you can try any of the presets provided.

A good starting point to make the Geo Shell look "wet" is the preset:
"Presets" tab ➔ Shaders ➔ Iray ➔ Liquids ➔ Water - Thin.

Once transfered, the Shell (Model) starts looking really wet. To edit the "wetness", switch to the "Surfaces" pane ➔ Editor tab.

Try the following sliders (individually or mixed) and see what happens to the shell:

Glossy Layered Weight
Refraction Index
Abbe
Cutout Opacity

There are many more possibilities. Just experiment and see what happens. It's really fun and exciting to explore the Iray shader options for Geometry Shells.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by user Sunday, December 25, 2022 2:12:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
how-to-create-a-geometry-shell.pdf (338kb) downloaded 20 time(s).
thanks 3 users thanked Pushee-Ri for this useful post.
DarkDesire on 1/14/2023(UTC), ZenMaster3D on 4/12/2023(UTC), Fremmen on 12/22/2023(UTC)