Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Communications  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2022 7:56:33 PM(UTC)
Communications

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 116 post(s)

Well folks, it's just about time for us to announce the winners of our 2022 Halloween Render Contest!

I must start off by saying this was one hell of a contest this year!  over 100 renders were submitted... 141 renders to be exact, one thing is certain every time this contest rolls around you all go above and beyond flexing your horror renders!  Click HERE for all the details!

13thWarlock  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2022 10:21:47 PM(UTC)
13thWarlock

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you to all the judges and just as important, all the people who liked my picture enough to click the like button! This is awesome!
digitalkink  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2022 10:24:57 AM(UTC)
digitalkink

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well done 13thWarlock on first place!

Thanks to everyone who liked my submission, and a great big thank you to the judges for choosing me for 2nd place - it really cheered me up after a rubbish year. I'd also like to thank the Renderotica staff, especially Teronsuke for taking the time to put these contests on. Like you say, the competition was really stiff (oooh er!) this year!
Zeppelin  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2022 10:50:07 AM(UTC)
Zeppelin

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Thanks to all the folks who voted for my submission, it was the highest ranked of all the submissions! Too bad the judges did not think this was important at all. So much for voting for your favorite...
Blir  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2022 11:28:15 AM(UTC)
Blir

Was thanked: 209 time(s) in 179 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Zeppelin Go to Quoted Post
Thanks to all the folks who voted for my submission, it was the highest ranked of all the submissions! Too bad the judges did not think this was important at all. So much for voting for your favorite...

Maybe there should be a viewers' choice award using # of views or # of likes as the metric. 

Those posting early in the contest would be at an advantage.  Also, based on my experience, those posting images with controversial content (e.g., blood) would garner more views as their images would be hidden to some who would click on them to see what's what.

Zeppelin  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2022 11:46:34 AM(UTC)
Zeppelin

Originally Posted by: Blir Go to Quoted Post

Maybe there should be a viewers' choice award using # of views or # of likes as the metric. 

Those posting early in the contest would be at an advantage.  Also, based on my experience, those posting images with controversial content (e.g., blood) would garner more views as their images would be hidden to some who would click on them to see what's what.

Don't you mean "would garner less views?"

Communications  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2022 12:00:00 PM(UTC)
Communications

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 116 post(s)

We don't go by most views, comments or likes (rankings) because it is too easy to "game" that type of system, all it would take is people to reach out to fans, friends etc and have them like, comment etc on their images and viola instant winning image.

It would however almost certainly kill the chance of anyone who uploaded in the last few days of the contest from ever winning as there's little chance for those images to get a fair shake at likes / views / comments.

With all that being said, I personally wish we lived in the perfect world where we could do a system like that as it would be much easier to just sort the gallery by most views / most likes and the first 5 are the winners.  We'd have our winners announce moments after the contests ended instead of the up to two weeks it takes for all of our hard working judges to tally up their votes, re-vote, sometimes even re-vote again when everyone has their own winning picks that only appear on their list and no one else's.

Zeppelin  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2022 12:23:51 PM(UTC)
Zeppelin

Originally Posted by: Teronsuke Go to Quoted Post

We don't go by most views, comments or likes (rankings) because it is too easy to "game" that type of system, all it would take is people to reach out to fans, friends etc and have them like, comment etc on their images and viola instant winning image.

It would however almost certainly kill the chance of anyone who uploaded in the last few days of the contest from ever winning as there's little chance for those images to get a fair shake at likes / views / comments.

With all that being said, I personally wish we lived in the perfect world where we could do a system like that as it would be much easier to just sort the gallery by most views / most likes and the first 5 are the winners.  We'd have our winners announce moments after the contests ended instead of the up to two weeks it takes for all of our hard working judges to tally up their votes, re-vote, sometimes even re-vote again when everyone has their own winning picks that only appear on their list and no one else's.

I don't "game"  any of my posts. I don't even know my fans. If this were true, wouldn't everyone have the same chance to whip up support? Silly me, I thought that the most popular entry would have a shot. I guess I'm hopelessly naive.

Blir  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2022 10:44:50 PM(UTC)
Blir

Was thanked: 209 time(s) in 179 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Blir Go to Quoted Post

Don't you mean "would garner less views?"

In my experience, when I post images that contain, say blood or risk of serious injury or death, those images are hidden in the general preview window because some people have opted out of looking at such images.  But, almost without exception, those images attract more views rather than less.  I guess people will click on the hidden image just to see what it is rather than not look at it.

Try it.  Post two identical images, but check that one image contains risk of serious bodily harm.  Betcha the image with the blood or serious violence check garners more views.

RangerRabbit  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2022 6:01:04 PM(UTC)
RangerRabbit

Was thanked: 240 time(s) in 112 post(s)
All of our contests are judged based on specific criteria and every image in the contest gets judged on those same criteria. If an image happens to garner a lot of likes, it doesn't mean the viewers were basing their decision on the specific criteria set out for our judges.
Regardless of whether an image with the MOST likes gets a prize in the contest, every Like still gives them Points that can used to discount items in the store. So they actually are still being rewarded.
The sad part is that there are only a total of 5 awards given and when there are over 100 entries, there are MORE that do NOT win. That's the downside to contests. It won't stop us from continuing to host them and giving more artists a chance to win a prize.
RangerRabbit
Renderotica Management
thanks 2 users thanked RangerRabbit for this useful post.
ContentModerator on 11/15/2022(UTC), Blir on 11/15/2022(UTC)