Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JJ3  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2022 7:35:11 PM(UTC)
JJ3

Hi; I want to reproduce a 3d version of some famous cartoon characters in Daz Studio, like Francine Smith from "American Dad" or Maddie Fenton from the cartoon "Danny Fantom". The Daz store has a product called Toon Generations, but I'm not sure that will give me the results I want to achieve. I want to maintain their basic drawing styles, but make them sightly more sexy obviously; I don't think Face Transfer or Face Gen is the right tool for this. Maybe Russian Scanner Wrap 3d? I have very limited knowledge with Blender and only slightly more with Daz. What would be the best and easiest way for me to go about doing this? Thanks.

Hellboy  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2022 8:43:31 PM(UTC)
Hellboy

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I don't think I've seen cartoon morphs in the animation styles you mention. If it was me, I'd use The Girl 7 for The Girl 8 (just because I like 7 more than 8) as a base and create a custom morph from it in ZBrush. Some 2D styles are harder to achieve in 3D. The Simpsons are easy, Godparents are tricky because they rely on lines and shapes very specific to the camera angle. But if you are willing to make compromises and be patient, I think doing your own custom morphs is the way to go, because all the cartoon products I've seen, are more Disney/Pixar/anime oriented.
UserPostedImage
DAZ STUDIO USER SINCE 2006
thanks 1 user thanked Hellboy for this useful post.
JJ3 on 9/21/2022(UTC)
Katsuyaki  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 8:31:42 AM(UTC)
Katsuyaki

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Something that works in 2D can look really REALLY odd in 3D. Don't be surprised if you aren't able to get exactly the look you're going for.
thanks 1 user thanked Katsuyaki for this useful post.
JJ3 on 9/21/2022(UTC)
JJ3  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 6:07:22 PM(UTC)
JJ3

I understand that 2d characters can look different in 3d, but what I'm looking for is a tutorial or technique to do it. Here is an actual 3d printed model of Francine Smith; this is what she would actually look like in 3d, so is there a way to do this in Daz? I'm pretty sure this model was done in a program like Blender or Maya, but I'd like to see if it's possible with Daz. Any suggestions?

Edited by moderator Wednesday, September 21, 2022 11:37:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Image removed for copyright infringement

BrimstoneOmega  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 8:09:40 PM(UTC)
BrimstoneOmega

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 86 post(s)

Yes, it's definitely possible for a character like that to be in daz, but the likelihood of morphing a character into her is slim, though still not impossible.

You'll likely need to make that character in zbrush or blender or something and then bring her into daz.

JJ3  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2022 6:06:45 PM(UTC)
JJ3

Originally Posted by: BrimstoneOmega Go to Quoted Post

Yes, it's definitely possible for a character like that to be in daz, but the likelihood of morphing a character into her is slim, though still not impossible.

You'll likely need to make that character in zbrush or blender or something and then bring her into daz.

If I were able to model her in Blender, I would have to go through the entire process of modeling, retopo, and rigging, wouldn't I? Or does Daz have some kind of auto rigging feature I don't know about?

BrimstoneOmega  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2022 6:34:52 PM(UTC)
BrimstoneOmega

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 86 post(s)

Originally Posted by: JJ3 Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: BrimstoneOmega Go to Quoted Post

If I were able to model her in Blender, I would have to go through the entire process of modeling, retopo, and rigging, wouldn't I? Or does Daz have some kind of auto rigging feature I don't know about?

I've not done this, but I think I know the concept, but it's along the lines of importing a base, no HD, Genesis character, then sculpting on that, then importing it back as a morph that you can apply to any character. 

Hellboy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2022 10:36:26 PM(UTC)
Hellboy

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 77 post(s)

- Export base resolution figure (again, in this case, I'd use The Girl 7/8 as a base)
- Adjust the shape in a modeler like Blender or Zbrush (don't alter vertices count)
- Import back with Morph Loader (Reverse Deformations ON if the exported base contained other morphs)
- Adjust rigging to shape
- Create JCM (Joint Control Morphs) specific for your character if needed. This is the tedious and tricky part but important if you want the figure to bend correctly.
- Save your morphs and Character Preset.

You don't have to model/retopology/rigging yourself.

UserPostedImage
DAZ STUDIO USER SINCE 2006
TheBitterGent  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2022 3:22:40 AM(UTC)
TheBitterGent

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 112 post(s)

To be honest with a character like Francine (close to human proportions except head),
Id probably just try dialing unlocked (Limits Off) head morph dials first, mainly chin. (The Girl character or the anime characters are best bet) especial if we are talking stills.
Or I would say sculpt her head in Blender Keeping the Eyes (Basic Spheres) separate and UV unwrap of course. Then put it on Genesis Female like a mask (Rigid follow prop attached to the head).
Prebuilt hair from Daz might work if scaled up, or make it in strands/curves Daz or Blender, whichever you're rendering in.
The Toon, Anime, or Wax shaders may help for skin or just dial uber values.
For Eyelids Id try hacking it with slightly larger spheres with color base maps and cutout opacity maps or LIE Layers on a geoshell of each eye. 2 Geoshells if Francine does/is doing top and bottom lid at the same time expressions. (or just 1 half sphere with a color map duplicated and rotated 180)

Maddie Fenton looks like easy dialing of Aiko 7 or 8, Depending on the eye style you go with. Might want to check out Sakura 8 as well.
The big eyes and eyelids I think are the challenge there, maybe Aiko Body (alternatively multiple body morph dials) with The Girl Head (with Face Morphs Collection for Genesis 8 Female perhaps could get you there quickly).

Otherwise hold out till mid next month (10/2022) and see what Genesis 9 and its meshy mesh with HD can do.

Thats my 2 cents.

Edited by user Thursday, September 22, 2022 3:33:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bumper2  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2022 6:09:55 PM(UTC)
Bumper2

Was thanked: 182 time(s) in 138 post(s)
I made a version of Honey Lemon from Big Hero 6 once, and also worked on a version Sam Sparks from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. It's not easy. I also tried to make a version of Cheetahs from Thundercats a long time ago. After all, she was my sexual awakening. The hardest thing, in my opinion, is understanding that it's really hard to recreate the art style in 3D. Not impossible, but advanced. However, you'd never be able to post it - here or elsewhere - as the copyright lawyers would make sure you'd wouldn't be able to buy a stick of gum forty years from now.