Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GedC  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2022 11:54:35 AM(UTC)
GedC

Hey,

Has anyone managed to take a LiDAR 3d capture (say from the iPhone 13 plus) and turn it into an assett? I am thinking along the lines of creating characters based on real life people.

Thanks

G.

davo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2022 4:14:12 PM(UTC)
davo

Was thanked: 280 time(s) in 165 post(s)
I'm not familiar with the phone scanning, but from what I've seen, it's a crap-shoot. Things like hair and other reflective surfaces have a tendency to not scan. The scans are not great quality, probably best for a static prop at most. If you are talking about creating a figure based on a real person, are you thinking of taking the scan and rigging it? Like a poseable figure? The scans are usually triangulated mesh, they will miss parts of the body (or whatever you are scanning) that are in shadow or out of view of the camera. I wish the technology was better, I really do.

dbxxx  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 18, 2022 8:58:17 AM(UTC)
dbxxx

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I would forget about lidar for 3d scanning. If you want to make static objects go with photogrammetry, you will get much better results.
And for rigged figures scanning is just a small bit of work for you will need to rig it, make weight maps and then JCM's for daz studio so there is no way around 3d sculpting for that.