Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikethe3dguy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2021 8:05:23 PM(UTC)
mikethe3dguy

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

After applying NGV8 to a G8F character successfully I have to change her overall skin texture now (skin was intentionally made very tan and oily before, using V3Digitimes Wet and Tanned Skin but now bringing her back to "normal"). For some reason the genital area remains white no matter what I do. I even fully deleted the NGV8, changed the character's skin textures to be the way I want, and re-added NGV8 but even after clicking "Update the Materials of New Gens" genital area remains white. labia, clitoris, etc have color but not the triangle around them.

Note: I'm also using Meipe Headlights but am aware of the shell fix you (3feetwolf) described for that elsewhere here, and it doesn't help with this.

Edited by user Thursday, September 9, 2021 8:07:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MidnightWatcher  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2021 12:57:22 AM(UTC)
MidnightWatcher

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 29 post(s)

Any other shell will sometimes conflict with other shells. There are 2 solutions, one better than the other. The first solution is to click on the other shells and in Parameters turn off all the parts that are not needed for that shell, like in headlights turn off the ngv parts and in ngv turn off the headlights parts. HOWEVER, if you use some geometry functions like mesh grabber, that will usually turn those switches back on when you exit the mode and becomes a pain going back and turning them back off. So the better solution is to use the surface tab and set the opacity/cutout to 0% on those regions that conflict. But if your using the new PBR Skin shader that probably doesn't have it, so you can try using translucency.

ANyway the easiest way to find if you have a shell conflict is to go in and the scene tab and start turning off every add-on object to your character. Some clothing is actually shells, and so can be makeup and tats or whatever.

If you turn everything off and the gens are still white check that they actually have maps applied to them, if not then the update isn't applying them and you have some issue with the script, so redownload and reapply the module.

Edited by user Friday, September 10, 2021 1:02:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked MidnightWatcher for this useful post.
3feetwolf on 10/9/2021(UTC)
mikethe3dguy  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2021 1:11:50 AM(UTC)
mikethe3dguy

Originally Posted by: MidnightWatcher Go to Quoted Post

There are 2 solutions, one better than the other. The first solution is to click on the other shells and in Parameters turn off all the parts that are not needed for that shell, like in headlights turn off the ngv parts and in ngv turn off the headlights parts.

Wow, thank you! It was the gens portions of the Headlights geoshell. That surprised me: my expectation with geoshells in a commercial product is that all the unused sections would be turned off when you purchase it! Not the case here, and it didn't occur to me to check.

illrigger  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 11, 2021 12:34:13 PM(UTC)
illrigger

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

FYI, most of Meipe's products include a "shell fix" button that you can use to fix this issue for any product, not just theirs. Just click the geoshells one at a time and click the fix button until the problem disappears. Thunder-3D has also generously put their shell stacking tool that they bundle with their shell products up as a freebie, so you can grab that and try it as well - it fixes some common issues by making the different shells slightly larger than one another.

Geoshells are so common in recent products both here and on other shops that making them all work together is a lot of work, but the results can be impressive.

mikethe3dguy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 11, 2021 12:51:40 PM(UTC)
mikethe3dguy

Originally Posted by: illrigger Go to Quoted Post

FYI, most of Meipe's products include a "shell fix" button that you can use to fix this issue for any product, not just theirs. Just click the geoshells one at a time and click the fix button until the problem disappears.

Except that I was fully aware of their Shell Fix button (which I mentioned in the OP) and used it several times at multiple stages trying to correct this problem. It didn't work.

illrigger  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2021 3:54:18 PM(UTC)
illrigger

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Originally Posted by: mikethe3dguy Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: illrigger Go to Quoted Post

FYI, most of Meipe's products include a "shell fix" button that you can use to fix this issue for any product, not just theirs. Just click the geoshells one at a time and click the fix button until the problem disappears.

Except that I was fully aware of their Shell Fix button (which I mentioned in the OP) and used it several times at multiple stages trying to correct this problem. It didn't work.

Which is why I also gave another option with the free shell stacker - sorry if you are somehow offended by me walking you through how the shell fix script works, but I won't assume anyone actually knows how to use anything if they are asking for help with something that other people aren't having an issue with. There are a lot of people out there who don't realize you can run the script on any shell, not just the one that the product came with.

That being said if the shell fix isn't working, chances are you missed something with a shell that's conflicting - not every product that creates a shell lists it as a separate item. I have not come across any shell conflicts that aren't fixed by one of the two shell fix scripts that are included in Meipe's products, although they are not always the optimal way to fix the problem so sometimes offsets work better. A good example of that is the Vellus Horizon Shader System on Daz, which works best if you set it to stack highest out of all your shells.

The other possibility is that you aren't running the latest version of one of the products and are hitting an issue where the material copy script isn't able to properly generate the texture because of a change in the file structure. For example, you need a new version of pretty much every geoshell based product if you are using 8.1 because the naming structure changed, and in the past Meipe's products would often need to be updated to be compatible with a new product they released. Renderotica is really bad at letting you know when updates come out, so occasionally you just have to go out and download everything you use again to see if the file dates changed.

thanks 1 user thanked illrigger for this useful post.
3feetwolf on 10/9/2021(UTC)