Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sandino  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2021 9:28:32 PM(UTC)
Sandino

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Hi, all! I'm a longtime lurker. If you have a lot of comics in the catalog, I may have purchased work from you at some point. I've heard this is a great community for helping folks of all skill levels advance the craft. I tried to get started in 3D modeling a couple of years ago, but I didn't really have the time or commitment—or even a powerful enough computer. Now I have a monster, and all the time I care to allocate. Back then, I was told I needed to get Daz to get started... does that still seem reasonable?

BrotherHades  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 8:48:59 AM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 239 post(s)

For 3D modeling Blender might be a better option.

Daz Studio while it is a nice program it is really more of a scene building program (Most users are likely to use premade content, position it in the scene, and then rendering the image or if more advanced an animation) Blender is more a full featured 3D modeling program (You can use splines and/or primitives etc to design and build what you want from scratch)

Though if you have enough time and drive why not use both, they are both free software, so other than paying for content and plug-ins, you aren't out any initial cash investment in the programs.

thanks 1 user thanked BrotherHades for this useful post.
Sandino on 9/9/2021(UTC)
Blir  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 10:20:31 AM(UTC)
Blir

Was thanked: 209 time(s) in 179 post(s)

Welcome!

My advice -- for what it's worth -- is pick a platform DAZ, Blender, Poser, etc. that supports the array of props, poses, clothing, scenes, hair, characters that you WILL inevitably accumulate and climb the learning curve.  I also suggest focusing on a genre rather than trying to be everything to everyone. 

thanks 1 user thanked Blir for this useful post.
Sandino on 9/9/2021(UTC)
wurger  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2021 9:48:01 AM(UTC)
wurger

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 62 post(s)

Welcome.

If by 3D modeling you mean creating your own 3D content, then you definitely want to look at Blender or another full 3D software package. Daz Studio is a painful place to actually create the content. Daz Studio's main strength is figure posing and image creation.

thanks 1 user thanked wurger for this useful post.
Sandino on 9/9/2021(UTC)
Sandino  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2021 2:13:00 AM(UTC)
Sandino

Thanks, all! I've been told Blender's interface can be a bit much at first, but, then, I certainly found that to be true of Daz as well. It may be that what I want to do is scene creation more than actual modeling. It certainly seems as though all the models, poses, equipment, scenes, etc., that anyone could ever want to use have already been created — a great many are available through this website. But I also think it is important to start at the beginning, so perhaps Blender is the way to go. Perhaps I'll have more specific questions after I've begun to put in some hours. Thanks again.
Sandino  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2021 2:24:35 AM(UTC)
Sandino

Originally Posted by: Blir Go to Quoted Post

Welcome!

My advice -- for what it's worth -- is pick a platform DAZ, Blender, Poser, etc. that supports the array of props, poses, clothing, scenes, hair, characters that you WILL inevitably accumulate and climb the learning curve.  I also suggest focusing on a genre rather than trying to be everything to everyone. 

BTW, artist known as Blir, I'm a particular fan of your work, which is to say, I find it really hot. 

thanks 1 user thanked Sandino for this useful post.
Blir on 9/10/2021(UTC)