Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ebonix115  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2021 11:25:25 PM(UTC)
Ebonix115

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 53 post(s)

I use GIMP based on the reasearch that I did (Youtube, Google, Reddit). I understood that almost anything that could be done in Photoshop could be done in GIMP in some way. However, I'm realizing that the community of GIMP is significantly smaller than the one for Photoshop. Moreover, it seems that there aren't as many clear cut and up to date tutorials on how to do things in the program for complete noobs (like myself). Are there any GIMP or Photoshop Experts out there that might be able to point me in the right direction of a good tutorial site/community to get answers to my questions? Thanks in advanced. 

rbug02  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2021 2:48:46 PM(UTC)
rbug02

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 51 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Ebonix115 Go to Quoted Post

I use GIMP based on the reasearch that I did (Youtube, Google, Reddit). I understood that almost anything that could be done in Photoshop could be done in GIMP in some way. However, I'm realizing that the community of GIMP is significantly smaller than the one for Photoshop. Moreover, it seems that there aren't as many clear cut and up to date tutorials on how to do things in the program for complete noobs (like myself). Are there any GIMP or Photoshop Experts out there that might be able to point me in the right direction of a good tutorial site/community to get answers to my questions? Thanks in advanced. 

I use both I have an older photoshop so it is present on the computer that I use. The new photoshop is an online thing so if from what I can gather you loose your internet connection you loose your photoshop

Gimp on the other hand works close to photoshop, it is free and present on your computer. So gimp would be better for you in the long run. imho.

I'm here for the donuts.....
Where are they??
thanks 1 user thanked rbug02 for this useful post.
Ebonix115 on 5/10/2021(UTC)
Ebonix115  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2021 6:05:53 PM(UTC)
Ebonix115

Thanks for the input! I didn't know that's how it was now. I remember using a long time ago, and it used to be on the computer. But now that it's all online, I'd definitely not use it. But do you know about any good tutorials or websites where I could ask questions about what it is that I'm trying to do?
BrotherHades  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2021 7:02:55 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 238 post(s)

Creative Cloud based Photoshop isn't completely cloud or web based, you still download and install the program(s) to your computer, and it can be used if you don't have a constant internet connection, you just don't have the perpetual license, so it occasionally has to phone home to check your subscription is still valid, and if not it disables the app until your subscription is renewed. So rather than paying one big lump sum for the program, and having a license that allows your use until who knows when, you pay a fee monthly or annually depending on the plan you choose, and when you stop your subscription your license ends, and access to the program stops.

Now there is cloud based storage available to subscribers and for that part you would need connection at least while accessing any files stored on Adobe's Cloud servers 

That being said I'm not a subscriber to any of the Creative Cloud plans. I use Photoshop Elements which is scaled back and lacks some features of full Photoshop, but still uses a perpetual license.

As to GIMP there are some features that can be shared between it and Photoshop and others that can't. For example .abr brushes can be imported and used in GIMP but most actions and plugins can't (On the actions even if they could be imported there would be limited functionality as tools and program functions are in different places than Photoshop)

thanks 1 user thanked BrotherHades for this useful post.
Ebonix115 on 5/10/2021(UTC)
Ebonix115  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2021 8:40:27 PM(UTC)
Ebonix115

Thanks for the extra info! I think that it'd be better if I explained some of the things I'm trying to do.

There are several products on this site that I've gripped about not being compatible with the opposite gender (Headlights, New Gens for Vic 8 - Big Clit, so forth). Most of them have some form of workaround where I can apply it to the G8M. However, some of them just aren't going to work. So, I figured that if I just changed the skin tone of the headlights or gens to match the skin of the model that I'm using, sit it right in front of the male model, then I could use GIMP or Photoshop to make it look like it's supposed to be there. I'm aware this process is probably a little harder than what I thought, but a good tutorial/mentor/community would be great for said noob (myself)
Sutut  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2021 10:09:11 PM(UTC)
Sutut

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 88 post(s)

I recommend Affinity software by Serif.  Use it a lot and I've used "The Shop" and tried to get started in Gimp.  Not free but easy to use, runs fast and WAY cheaper than the shop.

IMO said software does 99.9% of what anyone would want from "The Shop" for a short period of subscription (photomanip, vectors, document creation) in 3 packages with one time fees.

Not paid by them, I mean I'd accept $ but they'd likely bill me for my pictures sending them to a therapist and their shrink to his shrink..

There are 'courses' in it, YouTube or to pay Udemy, etc.  But I self-taught and never had trouble.  Only had to search for a few things.

thanks 2 users thanked Sutut for this useful post.
Ebonix115 on 5/10/2021(UTC), Twisted_Pencil on 5/12/2021(UTC)
Ebonix115  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2021 11:12:17 PM(UTC)
Ebonix115

Thanks! I will have to look into that one also. I think I'll need to rethink what kind of program I want to use.
thanks 1 user thanked Ebonix115 for this useful post.
Sutut on 5/11/2021(UTC)
Ciaran  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 6:56:17 PM(UTC)
Ciaran

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 60 post(s)

I'm just starting out learning Gimp myself, having had enough of Adobe's expensive subscription model for using their software.

Something that was mentioned to me were the lessons on Gimp provided by Udemy.com. I haven't tried the lessons yet myself, but they are attractive at just $15 (USD). The site was recommended to me by a family member

Hope this helps.

BTW:  I'm also thinking about trying Affinity. I did a search for "Photoshop Alternatives" on YouTube and Affinity usually received favorable reviews, placing in the Top 5 or Top 10 lists.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 11, 2021 7:02:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Pesky grammar & spelling.

thanks 1 user thanked Ciaran for this useful post.
Ebonix115 on 5/13/2021(UTC)
Blir  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 11:06:51 AM(UTC)
Blir

Was thanked: 209 time(s) in 179 post(s)

I, too, try to avoid subscription based programs.  I use Corel's Paintshop Pro for post render work.  The current version can usually be had for less than $100 and includes several interesting special effects programs.  Corel is probably trying to compete with Photoshop, so offers the same/similar functionality and then some for a better price.  But the interface takes some getting used to, the learning curve is significant and there are way more effects and adjustments than you'd use as a practical matter.

If you're trying to assemble a comic, then Comic Life is the go to program in my opinion.  Shadoman has recommended it for some time, and it is way easier than anything else, although comics can also be assembled using PowerPoint.

thanks 1 user thanked Blir for this useful post.
Twisted_Pencil  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 2:42:00 PM(UTC)
Twisted_Pencil

Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 82 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Sutut Go to Quoted Post

I recommend Affinity software by Serif.  Use it a lot and I've used "The Shop" and tried to get started in Gimp.  Not free but easy to use, runs fast and WAY cheaper than the shop..

I agree.

GIMP is good and will do most of what you need but Affinity Photo is worth a look if you want a powerful, full featured, professional image editor for a fraction of the cost of PS.
It also has a good support community, a lot of photographers use it due to it's support for RAW images, as well as it's other capabilities.

There is a good comparison article at Photography-RAW.

When it comes to editing gens mats though good luck with that :-/  Editing the image maps is one thing, you will also need to know the in's and outs of the materials settings to get things to match up well.

I'm just here by mistake, for a friend, for science... anyway you can't prove nuffin'.
thanks 1 user thanked Twisted_Pencil for this useful post.
Sutut  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:04:12 PM(UTC)
Sutut

Originally Posted by: Blir Go to Quoted Post

If you're trying to assemble a comic, then Comic Life is the go to program in my opinion.  Shadoman has recommended it for some time, and it is way easier than anything else, although comics can also be assembled using PowerPoint.

I've used both a bit.

I bought and used Comic Life as far less a learning curve than Clip Studio - however as I finished my comic I did use Affinity software (Designer and Photo) to make the complete pages that I just added - I can paste inside any shape casually and much quicker - and it's easier to warp, color, stretch, apply gradients to the text.  Affinity publisher came out recently or wouldn't have needed comic life for the final document.

Not knocking Comic Life - if someone makes "Photo comics" or does all the rendering/work in DAZ then it's an economical and excellent way to add images and text if a straightforward and non-fancy way is desired with simple editors an option. (and neat stipple/drawing filter effects)  Affinity does juggle images/memory far better but CL is not bad at all.

thanks 1 user thanked Sutut for this useful post.
Twisted_Pencil  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:21:39 PM(UTC)
Twisted_Pencil

Bit off the original topic but...

I've not used Designer or Publisher as yet but have used Serif's earlier products DrawPlus (2D graphics) and PagePlus (publication layouts) for professional stuff for many years, very useful tools and I expect the newer Affinity versions will be just as good.

I'm just here by mistake, for a friend, for science... anyway you can't prove nuffin'.
thanks 2 users thanked Twisted_Pencil for this useful post.
Sutut on 5/12/2021(UTC), Ebonix115 on 5/13/2021(UTC)
Sutut  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:56:42 PM(UTC)
Sutut

Originally Posted by: Digital_Mercury Go to Quoted Post
Bit off the original topic but...

I've not used Designer or Publisher as yet but have used Serif's earlier products DrawPlus (2D graphics) and PagePlus (publication layouts) for professional stuff for many years, very useful tools and I expect the newer Affinity versions will be just as good.

Newer Affinity is better - one exception - the Vector trace is gone from Designer or rather "Draw Plus" as it was called.

thanks 1 user thanked Sutut for this useful post.
Twisted_Pencil  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 7:02:26 PM(UTC)
Twisted_Pencil

Shame, but still worth a look for creation of those comic graphics.
thanks 1 user thanked Twisted_Pencil for this useful post.
Ebonix115  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 5:34:27 PM(UTC)
Ebonix115

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on the matter concerning which product would be better! I did also discuss this with my manager, who is a great digital designer, and his whole thought was that GIMP sucked T-T. I think I take things back to Youtube and to the official GIMP site for more tutorials. But I also like the idea of Photoshop and Affinity, will have to do some research on both and see which one works better. But, to continue the "derailing" of the thread.....

Blir - If you're trying to assemble a comic, then Comic Life is the go to program in my opinion. Shadoman has recommended it for some time, and it is way easier than anything else, although comics can also be assembled using PowerPoint.

^ In relation to this, it never once crossed my mind that I should try and use Powerpoint to assemble the comic. I feel like an idiot now, thank you for bringing it to my attention. However, I did purchase Comic Life 3, and honestly, I can't get over how it reduces the quality of the images. I went to the Daz Forums about it, and found that many users had the same gripe with it.
Blir  
#16 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 10:03:22 AM(UTC)
Blir

Was thanked: 209 time(s) in 179 post(s)
PowerPoint also reduces the quality of the PDF output. Depending on the version of PowerPoint you have, there are various ways to increase then default PDF quality. PowerPoint also carries some overhead in terms of creating custom size panels and page layouts that Comic Life does not, but if you have Office and want to produce short, simple comics, then there's a lot to be said for PowerPoint.
thanks 1 user thanked Blir for this useful post.
Ebonix115 on 5/14/2021(UTC)
Ebonix115  
#17 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 12:40:41 PM(UTC)
Ebonix115

Thanks!
simontemplar  
#18 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 3:33:01 AM(UTC)
simontemplar

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 100 post(s)
One tool which, I guess has an even smaller community than Gimp but is still very well laid out is Krita. It's intended for digital painting but still can do photo editing pretty well. Some tutorials and courses are available online for it too. The interface is strongly reminiscent of Photoshop as well.
"That was fun. Let's do it again."
thanks 1 user thanked simontemplar for this useful post.
Ebonix115 on 5/15/2021(UTC)
ZenMaster3D  
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2021 1:40:47 PM(UTC)
ZenMaster3D

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 97 post(s)

I know the thread is 3 months old (I'm a bit hesitant deciding when you "necro" a thread or not) but considering that I think I'm adding something useful I'm still posting, but under a small disclaimer (I do keep a threshold btw, you won't see me comment on threads that are 2 years old, even though it's really tempting for me sometimes!).

Now... at the risk of sounding like an advertisement (not my intention) but... have you ever heard off or considered Photoshop Elements?

(link removed, I forgot about the "no link to external sites" rule)

It's a smaller version of Photoshop without the crappy subscription idiocy (I hate SaaS; it only benefits the seller and not the customers) and having actually moved away from Gimp towards this version myself (I am obviously biased!) I can say that it really was a step up for me. It's not the full deal but provides many of the specific Photoshop features and although I do miss my pinned menus I can't say I'm missing out on Gimp anymore. I started with their 2020 version and upgraded to the full 2021 "suite" which consisted of both Photoshop & Premiere Elements. I also immediately took a strong liking to the Photoshop Organizer which I frequently use to keep track of my renders and the sporadic images I download.

Just for contexts sake: I am not an artist myself, I don't draw or anything. My main usage for PE is enhancing my renders, editing parts and fixing (real) photos, extracting parts of images to try and re-create 'm in ZBrush or to use them as background of some sorts and of course.. to try and draw something ;-)

Maybe food for thought? I am honestly quite impressed with this gizmo, it does everything I need or want.

Edited by user Thursday, August 12, 2021 11:16:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Removed URL to meet community guidelines