Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Absinthe  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 8:52:16 AM(UTC)
Absinthe

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 103 post(s)

This was sent to me by one our senior testers. During the test there were very odd results and this was discovered. So to inform everyone - vendors AND customers-

"I am a little late in finding out but there is a bug in either DS or some characters that loads parts of other characters onto G8F & G8.1F (and probably others) and stays resident in their DUF file. It overwrites the DUF with a section called “Modifiers”. Check your basic girls and see if Zilpha Head and Body are loading with them. Look at the Currently Used tab. I had parts of 3 different characters loading with G8F.

Here is a thread at DAZ that talks about the problem.. the Daz shills are calling it a problem with the Zilpha character files but it’s too wide spread for that. I “think” Daz fixed the problem with the quick release/update to DS 4.15.2 as after I cleaned my Basic Girls they have not been re-infected yet. J That process has to be done manually and takes a while.

This bug will affect any and all of your products that use grafts and shells. This unwanted morph bug will affect ALL products that rely on using the un-morphed Basic characters from Daz.

Here is the link:

Link to Daz Discussion on bug issues"

thanks 2 users thanked Absinthe for this useful post.
yakitoo on 2/26/2021(UTC), BrimstoneOmega on 2/26/2021(UTC)
BrotherHades  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 12:30:10 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 238 post(s)

Sadly it appears to be an ongoing problem, that while Daz Vendors usually correct it quickly and update the offending character,  it is something that Daz needs to better address with their vendors before they upload new characters (as it is happening about every few months that a character slips through their testing that has morphs with a value set to 1 instead of 0 and so it applies said morph to all G8 characters loaded after that flawed valued character is installed)

Really the problem boils down to how Daz set the newer figures to load all the available morphs into the base figure when it loads, and got rid of the old INJ file system. Under the new system when the morph value is set to 0 it only loads the morph channel and isn't activating said morphs, however if the morph value is set to 1 then it is instructing Daz Studio to not only load the channel into the base but to activate the morph as well, and if the character morphs include scaling as well, it is likely to mess up and distort any grafts or shells applied as well (Good examples of the graft distortions due to scaling are Posey and Petunia) I have been lucky that I have avoided any of the "bugged" character sets so far, but it seems to be a semi-frequent occurrence that a character slips by their testing. Really the issue pops up frequent enough that the other users are able to explain how to alter the file so that users can zero the value that was saved in error. Though I have seen some just suggest to uninstall the offending character till they are fixed.

Sad part for me, since I do manual installs of everything and don't use DIM or Daz Central, I never know when anything at Daz gets updated, since they no longer send e-mail notifications that products are updated. (They just expect everyone to use DIM or Daz Central and update when those programs show updates are available)

thanks 2 users thanked BrotherHades for this useful post.
CGBytesMgmt on 2/26/2021(UTC), yakitoo on 2/26/2021(UTC)
dsv4600  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 1:46:54 PM(UTC)
dsv4600

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
As BrotherHades says, this is an ongoing and very annoying problem. I am starting to feel that the whole morph autoloading system in Studio needs reviewing. There's also the issue that the more morph packs you acquire and install, the longer your base characters take to load - a related but different problem.

As for Zilpha - until I read this post I had never even heard of that character :)
BrimstoneOmega  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 2:29:18 PM(UTC)
BrimstoneOmega

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 86 post(s)

Yeah, I've come to realize that Daz is a hot mess of steaming donkey dung. Don't get me wrong, I love Studio, but the company itself, they've gone the route of EA, and all the other money-grabbing corporate greed wads. Their marketing has always been pretty sus, but at least I cared about what they were doing and got excited about new releases. Kwan was the last character I bought from them. I just can't anymore. To load a girl character it takes me about 5 minutes, the interface lags more than playing CoD on dial-up, and the constant broken items, such as the topic of this OP, I've lost faith. And don't get me started on the Games Workshop style pricing. 

8.1 is a joke. They purposefully broke the facial expressions (the old ones in reality do work just fine, you just need to rename a few things), there's no support, there's all of like 5 characters (not that I buy characters from Daz anymore). All it is is a new UV and some shaders. The face rig thing is a PA product that you can get for other generations. At first, I was on board about the whole 8.1 thing, but now....meh. It's free, that's about all the good I can say about it.

Please, oh Great and Glorious Renderotica in the Sky, stay the way you are. Reliable, relatable, and most of all quality.

TheBitterGent  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 5:36:18 PM(UTC)
TheBitterGent

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 112 post(s)
So a perimeter reset and G8 asset save doesn't fix it? I dont have that character and no morphs show dialed but Ill check the bases duf if I can.
Might be a way to correct the morph of "tight vagina" for Kitten as well.
https://www.renderotica....en-For-Genesis-8-Female-
BrotherHades  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 6:24:43 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Originally Posted by: TheBitterGent Go to Quoted Post
So a perimeter reset and G8 asset save doesn't fix it? I dont have that character and no morphs show dialed but Ill check the bases duf if I can.

No since the morphs channels are applied/added each time the base figure loads, it doesn't matter whether it is a fresh load of Genesis 8 Basic Female, A G8F based character, or a G8F from a saved scene. Once you have the "bugged" morph installed it will apply to any G8F you load, the only fixes are either delete the offending morph file(s), or edit the CTRLmorphname.dsf by hand changing the Morph Channel Value to 0 from 1. Problem there is not everyone wants to mess with the files in the Data folder, out of fear of messing things up. 

matt  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2021 9:06:26 PM(UTC)
matt

Was thanked: 315 time(s) in 212 post(s)

Pertaining to all morphs loading when I load a base figure, I think this is far better than the old INJ files. Why? Well, even with all of the crap I have loaded on my G3 and G8 figures, they might take, at the most, a minute to load. One minute. So maybe my opinion is an outlier here, but hear me out. 

I remember, before I migrated from Poser to Studio, how long it would take to load all of those INJ files into V4. In fact, I had a V4 figure with all of the INJ files already loaded saved in my library just so that I didn't have to do it every time. It took me a lot longer than a minute to do it. My point is, I want all of those morphs loaded. That's my toolbox, my arsenal. If I need it, the slider is there. I don't have to remember which folder it's in, find it, load it, and wait. Considering that a scene may take me hours or even days to create, and then many hours to wait for a final render, I don't think that the extra minute that it takes to load a base figure is anything for me to complain about. 

I will say that vendors should take care to be 100% sure that no sliders are set to anything but zero when they submit a product, and that testers should always check for this. Having said that, I would hate to go back to the old INJ system of loading morphs. That was a serious time sink. 

BrotherHades  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2021 11:11:34 AM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Originally Posted by: matt Go to Quoted Post

Pertaining to all morphs loading when I load a base figure, I think this is far better than the old INJ files. Why? Well, even with all of the crap I have loaded on my G3 and G8 figures, they might take, at the most, a minute to load. One minute. So maybe my opinion is an outlier here, but hear me out. 

I remember, before I migrated from Poser to Studio, how long it would take to load all of those INJ files into V4. In fact, I had a V4 figure with all of the INJ files already loaded saved in my library just so that I didn't have to do it every time. It took me a lot longer than a minute to do it. My point is, I want all of those morphs loaded. That's my toolbox, my arsenal. If I need it, the slider is there. I don't have to remember which folder it's in, find it, load it, and wait. Considering that a scene may take me hours or even days to create, and then many hours to wait for a final render, I don't think that the extra minute that it takes to load a base figure is anything for me to complain about. 

I will say that vendors should take care to be 100% sure that no sliders are set to anything but zero when they submit a product, and that testers should always check for this. Having said that, I would hate to go back to the old INJ system of loading morphs. That was a serious time sink. 

Totally agree! I was very happy when Daz introduced the PowerLoader to Daz Studio and the newer system which loads all morphs when the figure loads is a great system. Really every system can have errors that make it through testing and to release. I can actually think of a few characters using the old PowerLoader with a similar issues to what has been discussed. the old Mnemosyne character is loaded in with her morphs activated, Reby Sky loads in with her scaling activated, now with PowerLoader you can choose which sets get included when loading in the figures, but yeah there were some issues that made it through testing there too.

thanks 1 user thanked BrotherHades for this useful post.
matt on 2/28/2021(UTC)