Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
melankah  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2020 9:46:11 PM(UTC)
melankah

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 28 post(s)

I WAS going to write a story about 2 idiot, brutal Bratva thugs that had betrayed their bosses in the Bratva and pissed off the Mob as well and who had been sold against their will into anal slavery......and then something strange happened. I started to like the guys. Suddenly they were just two schleps who made some  bad choices and now they were getting a much more gentle  introduction to gay sex ....unwillingly, but our heroes recognize that everyone has to pay their dues.  I guess I'm not quite as mean as I'd like to be. 

The problem is that, what started out as a simple little story is now an epic. Each render takes about six hours of heming and hawing and resetting and yadda yadda yadda....i keep having to fill in plot holes. Because I'm new at this I keep finding better ways to improve my work so a lot of stuff gets re-done, and the story I want to tell is epic in its length as well.  My characters gradually change from uptight Russian homophobes who never even think about anal unless their shoving it into a hookers rear end,  into voracious butt sluts.  

I think I have work flow issues, I think I need to write a story out and STICK WITH IT! ... .I think I need to take a break and think about how this is getting out of hand. I have a story that I've done 50 Renders on that probably  needs 500 more  to tell properly . If I decide to sell it, who's going to buy it? 

Anyway, thanks for letting me bitch. Quarantine helps me work, but there's no one I can share my work with outside of this community, and I'm most definitely making it  up as I go along. 

.....Melankah

DarkCowBoy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 4:59:38 AM(UTC)
DarkCowBoy

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

My personal philosophy, probably not the best, is to keep moving forward. Sure, not all renders won't be perfect or great, but they're not supposed to be, they're supposed to be part of a story. The story will change, evolve, as well as the characters, doing things unpredicted, but I'll advise to go with the flow, not go back, not change the previous renders or redo them, or else we would spend eternity redo a few renders over and over and over again. Things have to move one. 

Maybe, probably, we would be ashamed of some art within, as we learn as we go, but I choose to focus on the one I'm very happy with, and on the one I have to render next.

As for who'll buy it... That doesn't matter, you can never do stuff you love by trying to purchase commercial success. But be sure that there always be somewhere some people who like the things you do. 

thanks 2 users thanked DarkCowBoy for this useful post.
melankah on 5/9/2020(UTC), jimbo3 on 5/9/2020(UTC)
shadoman  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 8:42:36 AM(UTC)
shadoman

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 229 post(s)

Small comic vignettes turning into epic monsters is no surprise to most comic artist and workflow is the bane of us all

a Few times now I have started out doing a 80 -100 page comic that soon expanded to 166 pages  and then I once did a comic that was so ;ong, I found a spot where I could stop midway and turn one comic into two

There will always be that factor where you find that you can give more insight into a story by going off script as we comic artist want to make the best product we can.  Then there are times when you get to a point and say, this script sucks as it is and I can make it better

So don't tear yourself up about not following a  planned script

As to renders.  Reduce the DPI of the render to increase rendering time, if you can reduce the number of ray tracing elements. Remember you are putting these images into a comic panel unless you are just doing visuals images without text.  But if you plan to tell a story, then text bubbles and boxes will crowd your art. 

Sometimes it is better to render a panel and use less speech bubbles in the scene and then rotate the image, do another render, and then finish using text bubbles

None of my render images goes beyond 150 DPI  because in post work I ad additional contrast is needed and the comic life software I use had panel enhancement dials to sharpen my images for a high quality look

Lastly you want to feel happy about your work as you must first be happy with the final work, before you pass it on to others this way, hit or misses in how well your comic sells will be based on what floats the boat of your readers  but you will know that you put out your best work.

You have a lot of time on your hands with the quarenteen make the best of it and make your you are happy with what your are creating..

Three years ago I thought I would never feel possible about doing transgender work, but now I have fun creating dozen of stories for another site, just as much as I like doing BDSM storied for Renderotica.,

I had a requested commission to do a gay comic and I had to turn the job down, I just knew that I could not get behind doing Gay art and pull it off to the point that I would be happy with it and that must be your number one priority.

and that is to be happy with what you are doing

Nuff said for now.

Regards Shadoman 

Who knows what lurks in the hearts of perverted artist....
The Shado Knows
thanks 2 users thanked shadoman for this useful post.
melankah on 5/9/2020(UTC), jimbo3 on 5/9/2020(UTC)
melankah  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 1:22:32 PM(UTC)
melankah

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Thank you to both of you. Good advice. Shadowman, I'm probably more interested in using a PDF with large panels interspersed with some pages in traditional comic format. I like to model after the Japanese Bara comics I've seen. Should be plenty of room for text...but yes, I need to remember that this IS a comic, the work won't be hanging in the Louvre. :)
mjw  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 7:36:34 AM(UTC)
mjw

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 124 post(s)
Shado said "Reduce the DPI of the render to increase rendering time"
Much as I hate to suggest one of our greats may have hit the wrong keys, but this must surely be 'to decrease' not 'to increase'.
shadoman  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 10:02:40 AM(UTC)
shadoman

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 229 post(s)

Before rending I set my images ot 1020 x1320  Pix Inch  as Most of my comic panels are one page My resolution and I think this is what I meant to say is set to 120-150 Pix In for faster render times  On occasion I go to 300 Resolution but these are for single images not related to a comic or a commission piece. 

I used a special rendering recipe that takes in ray tracing and other settings where my rendering passes go to three to four passes. the 4th pass may be for base figures using sss shading. 

Average rendering time for me is 15-30 with the latter time involving sets that have superior lighting at extra ray trace items in the scene..  Now while rending is taking place I use a special KVM switch that controls 3 PC's to a single Monitor, and Mouse  to move to another PC where I post work past rendered images. These are then saved to a flash drive and moved to my 3rdd PC where I have the comic software..

Thus workflow stays constant No matter how long the image may need to render.

Mind you I work with Poser and Not DAZ Studio.

In comic life they ave a detail bar that allows me to enhance my panels till they are to my satisfaction and then when it comes time to convert the comic to PDF I choose 300 DPI.

This allows the reader to increase the size of the comic to where it looks awesome at 75-100% and still has excellent crispness at 150-200% of original size.  I personally read my comics at 125% in Adobe Acrobat reader.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

I think that if I was doing some wide screen visual images without any text I might render at a higher resolution.  But I am a storyteller and visual images without text can only relate so much  to the reader.

Stay well and safe everyone.

Shado

Who knows what lurks in the hearts of perverted artist....
The Shado Knows
Finister  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 8:52:10 AM(UTC)
Finister

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I'd suggest following through with this story to its end.

We learn storytelling from actually storytelling.

When it's done, then you think about what worked and what sucked. What could you have done better? What did you do real well and it surprised you how well it worked?

Did you get burnt out on the story by the end or did you love the story even more by the end?

Follow your drive and see what you learn from it.

That's what I suggest.

Every story teaches you something new.