2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BrotherHades  
#21 Posted : Sunday, November 7, 2021 5:32:22 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 240 post(s)

Originally Posted by: dsv4600 Go to Quoted Post

I'm guessing that what's happening is that the Golden Palace Geoshell is changing its geometry as a result of "shelling" the Breastacular graft. I'm no expert on Geoshells but if that resulted in the shell gaining more polygons then it's game over.

It is not adding or subtracting polys, The issue is how Daz Studio handles shells though, When you originally add a shell it covers all of the underlying figure and any grafts, when you add a second graft Daz Studio adds the new material zones from the grafts to the shell, the added material zones from other grafts is why shells will often give you the white shell effect, where a shell added by default is loaded with all the unnecessary material zones turned off, when adding additional grafts, the shell script doesn't have texture information for surface X or rules that surface X needs turned off so you get white material added to the new surfaces, this also occurs when a new shell is added. The problem with the Strand Based Hair is the added material zones in the GP shell makes Garibaldi think that the shell it has been attached to is not the correct object, so it breaks the parent child connection between the Strand Based Hair, and the shell.

So other than suggesting that the default GP shell be used, and no other grafts and shells used in scenes using the Strand Based Hair. The only fix I can think of would be building the hair attachment on the GP graft, rather than the shell and hope that the shell interacting with the hair in close proximity doesn't cause artifacts to appear.

Really the best solution would be Daz reworking how shells are implemented in Daz Studio, but after so long, it is safe to figure that the way shells interact with each other and multiple grafts, as far as Daz is concerned, it is working as intended.

thanks 1 user thanked BrotherHades for this useful post.
dsv4600 on 11/8/2021(UTC)
dsv4600  
#22 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2021 12:54:42 AM(UTC)
dsv4600

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 31 post(s)
BrotherHades, thanks for that explanation. It's actually the clearest explanation I've yet seen as to the annoying appearance of the "White Shell".
BrotherHades  
#23 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2021 11:31:18 AM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 240 post(s)

Originally Posted by: dsv4600 Go to Quoted Post
BrotherHades, thanks for that explanation. It's actually the clearest explanation I've yet seen as to the annoying appearance of the "White Shell".

You're welcome.

It would be nice if Daz were to sneak in a fix for the issue when Daz Studio 5 is released, but according to what I've read, it is one of those things they've classified as a feature and not a bug, so I'm not holding out much hope of it being fixed. Also not looking forward to the list of plug-ins that end up in the non updated/dropped column once 5 is released (I'm so afraid that the poseworks Shaders and utilities will be amongst them as Daz has been moving more and more towards Iray usage overall)   

As to the Golden Growler issue, I find myself using Jungle Jewels most of the time if I need pubes for Golden Palace in the scene. Personally I've not been overly impressed with my own use of Garibaldi/Strand Based Hair in Daz Studio, and the vendor products I've seen released using it, are very hit or miss as to them working as intended, and not requiring a work around to get things to work somewhat like they are supposed to. I've seen lots of Unparent SBH prop and reparent to hip instructions, and to update the hair in the Strand based hair tool itself, but both options are workarounds for a system/plugin mismatch that Daz should have fixed before the SBH system made it out of Beta testing or being built into Daz Studio.

dsv4600  
#24 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2021 1:37:53 PM(UTC)
dsv4600

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 31 post(s)

I have, in fact, switched to Jungle Jewels for the project that I was working on and it works fine.

I don't mind workarounds, but I don't like workarounds that have to be reapplied whenever you reload the scene. When you're doing comics, it's frequently necessary to reload scene files for tweaking or for progressing to a subsequent frame, and having to muck about to make sure that the scene is the same as when it was last rendered is a non starter for me.

I await DAZ Studio 5 with bated breath ... well, 5.1, anyway ;)

Originally Posted by: BrotherHades Go to Quoted Post

As to the Golden Growler issue, I find myself using Jungle Jewels most of the time if I need pubes for Golden Palace in the scene. Personally I've not been overly impressed with my own use of Garibaldi/Strand Based Hair in Daz Studio, and the vendor products I've seen released using it, are very hit or miss as to them working as intended, and not requiring a work around to get things to work somewhat like they are supposed to. I've seen lots of Unparent SBH prop and reparent to hip instructions, and to update the hair in the Strand based hair tool itself, but both options are workarounds for a system/plugin mismatch that Daz should have fixed before the SBH system made it out of Beta testing or being built into Daz Studio.