Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chronopunk  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 26, 2024 3:32:21 PM(UTC)
Chronopunk

Short form:

I'm attempting to recreate a G8.1 character's look and feel in the new G9 geometry, and have basically got as many of her aspects dialed in as I can.

I have applied Breastacular and Golden Palace 9 to the model, and whenever I render, there are visible material and color differences on the mats. I recall that this problem existed for a time on the G8.x version as well, but I don't remember what the fix was.

I've used mat copy, I've tried other skin materials from different G9F models, the same thing shows up. A band of slightly - but noticeably - different color around the breasts at the graft, and the same at the genitals at the graft.

I've basically exhausted all of my tweaks and fiddly little changes on the materials tab to try and figure out if I can monkeywrench it on my end. At this point, I'm stumped.

(Currently using the Mira 9 base geometry and material, if it matters.)

BrotherHades  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 26, 2024 7:56:12 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 238 post(s)

Make sure the Mat Copy is correctly applying the right shader. At times the Material Copy script will apply as Iray Uber Shader, where most Genesis 8.1 and Genesis 9 use PBRSkin Shader. 

To check go to surfaces tab, Make sure you are in Editor sub tab, choose the Breastacular and Golden Palace Surfaces. Look at the top there should be a Shader : heading look at what it lists beside that, and make sure it matches to the Body Surface of Genesis 9. If it is say Iray Uber, and the Body surface is PBRSkin then you'll need to manually apply the PBRSkin Shader to the surfaces on Breastacular and Golden Palace. It should be under Shader Presets\Iray\DAZ PBRSkin. With the surfaces selected in the surfaces tab, and the Breastacular and Golden Palace grafts selected in scene tab, double click on Daz Iray PBRSkin, and it should apply the PBRSkin shader, and it should match up to the base skin texture materials.

thanks 1 user thanked BrotherHades for this useful post.
Chronopunk on 2/27/2024(UTC)
Chronopunk  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 27, 2024 3:54:46 PM(UTC)
Chronopunk

Originally Posted by: BrotherHades Go to Quoted Post

Make sure the Mat Copy is correctly applying the right shader. At times the Material Copy script will apply as Iray Uber Shader, where most Genesis 8.1 and Genesis 9 use PBRSkin Shader. 

To check go to surfaces tab, Make sure you are in Editor sub tab, choose the Breastacular and Golden Palace Surfaces. Look at the top there should be a Shader : heading look at what it lists beside that, and make sure it matches to the Body Surface of Genesis 9. If it is say Iray Uber, and the Body surface is PBRSkin then you'll need to manually apply the PBRSkin Shader to the surfaces on Breastacular and Golden Palace. It should be under Shader Presets\Iray\DAZ PBRSkin. With the surfaces selected in the surfaces tab, and the Breastacular and Golden Palace grafts selected in scene tab, double click on Daz Iray PBRSkin, and it should apply the PBRSkin shader, and it should match up to the base skin texture materials.

So I went in and did some more digging, and I found that the material copy was copying it over as PBR, the way it should be. Everything showed up as PBR - even when I tried an irayskin material preset - so I had a thought and went into my shader presets and applied the irayUber base to the figure and both grafts and the problem was solved instantly. It even resolve the issue of the optional freckle settings on the figure's face not showing up when applied (they are now there, hurray).

I'll keep fiddling around with other figures to see if I can't get it working on PBRSkin. I'm not sure what was going on there. Everything said it was all PBR, but the fact that it immediately worked the way it should when applying the iray Uber base makes me wonder.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Appreciated!

BrotherHades  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 27, 2024 7:27:00 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Did the base figure's texture shader show as PBRSkin or Iray Uber? I don't have Mira 9 to check, but it sounds like even if the Materials are being applied as PBRSkin Shader by default when Mira 9 is loaded, that perhaps they shouldn't be, as it sounds like, if the freckles appeared when Iray Uber was applied, the freckles are likely tied to or use a feature or dial that Iray Uber has that PBRSkin doesn't. I know Daz is really pushing the PBRSkin as a better skin shader option, but at times the lack of certain dials, and shader settings in PBRSkin is a hindrance.

Chronopunk  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2024 1:33:17 PM(UTC)
Chronopunk

Originally Posted by: BrotherHades Go to Quoted Post

Did the base figure's texture shader show as PBRSkin or Iray Uber? I don't have Mira 9 to check, but it sounds like even if the Materials are being applied as PBRSkin Shader by default when Mira 9 is loaded, that perhaps they shouldn't be, as it sounds like, if the freckles appeared when Iray Uber was applied, the freckles are likely tied to or use a feature or dial that Iray Uber has that PBRSkin doesn't. I know Daz is really pushing the PBRSkin as a better skin shader option, but at times the lack of certain dials, and shader settings in PBRSkin is a hindrance.

Everything was showing as PBRSkin. Like I said, everything was PBRSkin, and the surfaces tab showed PBRSkin throughout. It wasn't until I applied the iray Uber that it started working properly.

The figure was just updated on the Daz side this morning (or at least sometime in the last 48 hours since I last checked for updates) and there's nothing in the changelog, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a texture update in there.

BrotherHades  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2024 4:35:38 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Could be, but seems a lot of the Genesis 9 numbered characters are being updated recently, like most of the ones I have, and all since the new version of Daz Studio released, so maybe there is a change in Studio that is necessitating the updates.
Meipe  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2024 1:36:14 PM(UTC)
Meipe

Was thanked: 1234 time(s) in 614 post(s)