Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ebonix115  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2022 10:21:02 PM(UTC)
Ebonix115

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 53 post(s)

I think that an important aspect of creating 3D art (NSFW related or otherwise) is being able to tell a story with that art. Maybe not a specific story that you have in your mind, but at least a story that the viewer may be able to create in their own mind to see what you, the artist, wanted them to see. 

That blurb wasn't really needed, just wanted to say it cause I think it sounded cool in my head but now I feel a little silly. Oh well. 

In any case, back to the writing point. I have several projects that I'm working on right now (not sure if they'd be considered novels or books, still figuring all that out) Some of the ideas come to me like water and it's super cool when that happens. Other ideas on the other hand (like the one that just recently entered my dome) are coming a lot slower. And I know, it's better to take more time to better understand your story vs trying to rush through it, but hear me out. The more I think about the story, the more I wonder whether or not it's a story that actually make sense? Like, I know that you should write because you like writing, which is true, but at the same time I want to write a story that I would be willing to read. And I only read books that make some level of sense in the world that's been developed for them. Recently read a 3 book series. First book was pure gold, the second book was kind of meh, last book was so bad I almost asked for a refund. 

I'll cut to the chase on this one - This most recent story idea that I've got going on is from some renders that I was working on. I got Celani and am in love with her character style. I bought new clothes for her and everything, and I'm not done working with her either. However, with the amount of times that I've used her there are some short stories that I wrote about her and other characters. Those short stories have now formed a larger story in my mind. I want this larger story to be a thing, honestly I do. But the more that I think about this, the more that it doesn't make sense to me. Obviously, this is like a new story idea and there's bound to be things that have to change, but again, hear me out. The protagonist doesn't have any real, growth I guess? Like, I kind of wanted the story to just kind of follow her through her adventures and everyday life type events. But the more that I think about it, I don't think that other people, or I for that matter would read if the main character doesn't undergo some drastic change at some point. However, I also considered that I don't understand the full story yet, so that may change with time. 

Thoughts? 
I'm going to post on this thread more often, just wanted to get this first thought off the ground before going forward. 

wurger  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 3, 2022 7:09:34 PM(UTC)
wurger

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 62 post(s)

Brandon Sanderson has an entire series of uni lectures on his YouTube channel regarding creative writing. His focus is on SciFI/Fantasy, but a lot of what he talks about can be applied to any genre (fantasy, that's what we do her, right?). I'm half-way through the lectures and have learned a lot. Worth a watch.

thanks 1 user thanked wurger for this useful post.
Ebonix115 on 4/14/2022(UTC)
Ebonix115  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2022 8:54:36 PM(UTC)
Ebonix115

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to look into that.

During my workings to become a better writer and digital artist, something I've noticed is that while it's hard to keep followers looking and interested in your art/story, it's harder to get new people. With this in mind, it occurred to me to having a good cover art for the graphic novel/visual novel. I read an article on it for clarification from what is considered a good graphic novel cover. The main point that I liked was that contrast really catches the eye of new people.

I don't know if there's a way to make a piece that doesn't catch the eye right away as I feel like humans are conditioned to be drawn to certain aspects based on their own preferences. Thoughts?

Also, here's the link to what I was reading concerning it - hope this is ok, if not, then please remove it and I apologize. Figured it'd be fine since it's about writing.
https://comicalopinions....a-good-comic-book-cover/
thanks 1 user thanked Ebonix115 for this useful post.
ContentModerator on 4/15/2022(UTC)
Bumper2  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2022 12:28:06 AM(UTC)
Bumper2

Was thanked: 182 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Creative writing is a funny process...
Originally I made a picture and wrote a story based on it. Over time the stories grew in length and I felt burnt. I felt like I couldn't post a picture without a 1000 word story (at least).
I stopped posting for a while. It didn't seem worth it. I still made my pictures though. One day I had a burst of creative energy and wrote three stories.i posted them the next day. Then I looked over some of my pictures. Some didn't need a story at all, others only a couple sentences. I've tried since then to discern what it telling and what is over telling.
Lately, my stories have been character driven. Maybe it's my background in theatre or D&D, but I also believe characters should have arcs. I define the wants and needs of each, how they'll grow, what will change their mind. Some examples:
Princess is autistic. She's not good with social cues but is adamantly loyal to her friends. She instinctively compartmentalizes relationships. She'll use what she can to get a better life for her and her friends.
Tusk is worldly. She was a slave, now she's a rogue. She keeps her owner's collar on to remind herself of where she's been. She uses her sexuality in tandam with the genie's wish to get the upper hand.
Tonya is in a monogamous, loving relationship. She loves her husband and likes to put on a sexy show, whether in enticing lingerie, light kinky things, or even in a swimsuit by the pool. She's fun and happy, with strong loving themes.
Corina's disgusted by you. She's had better; hates you having your way. She has a self entitlement and superiority complex. She's always at least slightly angry.
I also do a lot of one-off pictures. Summer require a story, some a few sentences, some nothing at all. It depends a bit on my mood, a bit on my level of burnout, a bit on the picture itself. Some characters get arcs, some get nothing but reader imagination. Let your stories speak to you or not. Accept that. If you feel you need an arc then let it come naturally from the characters. Otherwise it leads to madness.

Edited by user Saturday, April 16, 2022 12:31:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Bumper2 for this useful post.
Ebonix115 on 4/18/2022(UTC)