Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jim-1971  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 7:31:32 PM(UTC)
jim-1971

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 130 post(s)

Thanks to all of the content creators here, your skill is appreciated.  I love images of BDSM, Futa, tentacles, and hot chicks!  I'm amazed at the things that I find erotic that I never would have dreamed of without 3d art.

I've never done art before, so I downloaded DAZ Studio.  I have a long way to go before I get good at it, hopefully one day I'll create something worthy of being posted on this site.

Take care,

Jim

thanks 1 user thanked jim-1971 for this useful post.
dieterderblau on 7/21/2019(UTC)
cheesymaid  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 8:29:43 PM(UTC)
cheesymaid

Was thanked: 219 time(s) in 183 post(s)

Welcome!

The art takes some time to figure out. There's so much you can do, so start small and then branch out. Everyone started somewhere with the hobby, and making the most of a limited budget is pretty important because there's so much out there.

When you see art that you like, ask about it. What they used in the scene. What they did to pull off the effects that you see. Get tips from the artists to shortcut your process whenever you can. Get good ideas from them, then fuse it into your own work.

And if you just want feedback on your work, post it and ask for feedback. Even if your work isn't perfect, nobody's work is perfect. Don't be intimidated by someone who's further along in the journey. They're probably the ones to ask for more feedback on where you're at.

thanks 2 users thanked cheesymaid for this useful post.
jim-1971 on 7/20/2019(UTC), dieterderblau on 7/21/2019(UTC)
rbug02  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:07:44 AM(UTC)
rbug02

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 51 post(s)

Originally Posted by: jim-1971 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks to all of the content creators here, your skill is appreciated.  I love images of BDSM, Futa, tentacles, and hot chicks!  I'm amazed at the things that I find erotic that I never would have dreamed of without 3d art.

I've never done art before, so I downloaded DAZ Studio.  I have a long way to go before I get good at it, hopefully one day I'll create something worthy of being posted on this site.

Take care,

Jim

Welcome Jim, and I agree with cheesymaid, just go for it, Post something and ask for help with it most people here will help you out without hessitation.

I'm here for the donuts.....
Where are they??
thanks 1 user thanked rbug02 for this useful post.
jim-1971 on 7/21/2019(UTC)
casualgrapher  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:39:40 AM(UTC)
casualgrapher

Was thanked: 175 time(s) in 168 post(s)

Take care,

Jim

Everyone has a beginning! Welcome to the 3d art world! 

Casgra

Lighting the way to the dark side
thanks 1 user thanked casualgrapher for this useful post.
dieterderblau  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 10:43:40 AM(UTC)
dieterderblau

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 69 post(s)

Hi Jim! Welcome to Renderotica!!!

dieterderblau  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 10:47:10 AM(UTC)
dieterderblau

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 69 post(s)

A tip when rendering - Lighting is EVERYTHING... I throw away 2-5 scenes a day sometimes because I can't make the lighting work for it...

We're more and less than traditional artists. People will complain we don't have to sit there shadowing things for hours. Yes, yes, we do. We just have to keep adjusting lights and settings until things are right. Fighting with lights that don't respond like real lights do... etc.
We're one part artist, one part props department, one part makeup artist, one part director, one part producer, FX department, etc etc etc etc....

And you can do it too. :D

thanks 3 users thanked dieterderblau for this useful post.
jim-1971 on 7/21/2019(UTC), Communications on 7/22/2019(UTC), banditcameraman on 7/22/2019(UTC)
jim-1971  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 2:21:24 PM(UTC)
jim-1971

Originally Posted by: dieterderblau Go to Quoted Post

A tip when rendering - Lighting is EVERYTHING... I throw away 2-5 scenes a day sometimes because I can't make the lighting work for it...

We're more and less than traditional artists. People will complain we don't have to sit there shadowing things for hours. Yes, yes, we do. We just have to keep adjusting lights and settings until things are right. Fighting with lights that don't respond like real lights do... etc.
We're one part artist, one part props department, one part makeup artist, one part director, one part producer, FX department, etc etc etc etc....

And you can do it too. :D

Thanks Dieter, adjusting lighting hadn't even crossed my mind as something that needs attention.  I have lots to learn and unfortunately not lots of time...

cheesymaid  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:20:33 PM(UTC)
cheesymaid

Some can be done after Render time. That's what photographers use PhotoShop for, and that's what you can use for your images. Touch them up, including lighting levels.
(I use GIMP. It is free, and does enough of what PhotoShop does.  I wouldn't use PhotoShop enough to warrant the cost.)

Same can be said for render quality. Some can be done afterwards. Oversampling and reducing the size of the render (it's all math and statistics). Using Intel's free denoiser to cut the grain in a completed render.

Participating in Daz New User contests can help you get some of those 3D Art basics down.

Edited by user Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:28:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked cheesymaid for this useful post.
jim-1971  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:01:03 PM(UTC)
jim-1971

Originally Posted by: cheesymaid Go to Quoted Post

Some can be done after Render time. That's what photographers use PhotoShop for, and that's what you can use for your images. Touch them up, including lighting levels.
(I use GIMP. It is free, and does enough of what PhotoShop does.  I wouldn't use PhotoShop enough to warrant the cost.)

Same can be said for render quality. Some can be done afterwards. Oversampling and reducing the size of the render (it's all math and statistics). Using Intel's free denoiser to cut the grain in a completed render.

Participating in Daz New User contests can help you get some of those 3D Art basics down.

Thanks Cheesymaid, I've hardly started and I'm already picking up some good advice from experienced artists.  I hadn't heard of GIMP or Intels denoiser.

cheesymaid  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:59:23 PM(UTC)
cheesymaid

GIMP... the GNU Image Manipulation Program. 
https://www.gimp.org/

Open Source photo editor. It can do a lot of what PhotoShop does. A lot more powerful than MS Paint, and just start with Color -> Brightness/Contrast. Manipulate that and see what it does to an image.

The Intel denoiser? Another Open Source project.

Basically, it's a kind of AI tool. It takes a noisy image and uses AI to extrapolate the missing elements (all the noise in your unfinished renders). This is how I cut hours from my render time.

The Daz thread is here... I don't know if I can explain how to use it. I have a batch file that does it for me. You can get the info from the Daz discussion.

(Just look at the images in the Daz thread to see what it does. It is like magic.)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/316206/denoise-renders-and-save-a-lot-of-time-nvidia-not-reqd/p1

thanks 1 user thanked cheesymaid for this useful post.
Zaavaleta  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 10:26:28 PM(UTC)
Zaavaleta

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 63 post(s)

Take care,

Jim

Welcome!

Nothing wrong with being a beginner. Everyone was a beginner at one point. Just get out there and try new stuff. I'd say set a goal for yourself like learning something new every day or every week. The Daz forums are a great source of knowledge, so is Youtube.

thanks 1 user thanked Zaavaleta for this useful post.
jim-1971  
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:45:34 PM(UTC)
jim-1971

Originally Posted by: cheesymaid Go to Quoted Post

GIMP... the GNU Image Manipulation Program. 
https://www.gimp.org/

Open Source photo editor. It can do a lot of what PhotoShop does. A lot more powerful than MS Paint, and just start with Color -> Brightness/Contrast. Manipulate that and see what it does to an image.

The Intel denoiser? Another Open Source project.

Basically, it's a kind of AI tool. It takes a noisy image and uses AI to extrapolate the missing elements (all the noise in your unfinished renders). This is how I cut hours from my render time.

The Daz thread is here... I don't know if I can explain how to use it. I have a batch file that does it for me. You can get the info from the Daz discussion.

(Just look at the images in the Daz thread to see what it does. It is like magic.)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/316206/denoise-renders-and-save-a-lot-of-time-nvidia-not-reqd/p1

I downloaded GIMP and the denoiser, what a difference that makes to the image quality.  The only problem with the denoiser is it took away most of the teeth boundaries so that you couldn't see individual teeth.  Everything else looked much better after denoising.

Thanks for the advice, I never would have known about those tools.

cheesymaid  
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2019 12:23:04 AM(UTC)
cheesymaid

If you lose too much detail, just give the Denoiser a little extra time if you can. Or experiment with what you can add back using PhotoShop/GIMP.. or even do the GIMP work pre-Denoiser, then run the Denoiser after you've taken some of the noise guesswork out of the problem areas.

That Denoiser is really a miracle tool for a lot of people. You don't need a supercomputer as long as you can set up scenes that render well enough for the time you have.