Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
orassman  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 2:59:50 AM(UTC)
orassman

Looking for tips, feedback, or tutorials on how I'm trying to get started. I continue to look for tutorials or guides that use this approach but haven't found any. What I'd like to do:

• Start with a basic nude model already created (rather than starting from scratch). I don;t mind paying money for some quality and detail. 
  • Similar to 2D liquefying in Photoshop, I want to use this model to sculpt and shape while learning 3D techniques. 

At this point, I don't care about textures, posing, light, etc. Just basic 3D sculpting. It sounds like I can do this in Daz or Blender, right? My thought, based on the tutorials I've watched on character modeling from photos, is that I don;t want to start by creating all the detailed extrusions, but learn by sculpting existing extrusions and vertices. Does this make sense?

Any thoughts on anything specific, like tools, sites, models, tutorials, etc are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Lednah  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 6:29:58 PM(UTC)
Lednah

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

From Blender guy and relatively new Daz user:
The idea of Daz is to use a ready made model and *possibly* (but it is not peremptory) to modify it to some degree. It is supposed to be modified by:

A) mixing with the corresponding parts of other existing daz models - mixing the face with other faces - thus creating new face, and the body with other bodies thus creating new body (if the existing body doesn't not suits you).

B) using morphs - Daz sells countless packages with ready made morphs and if you decide to go the hard way you create own morphs too - there are tutorials in Utube how to create morphs. Honestly I do not see a reason for this if you are using daz products.

C) of course you can use it as it is (that is the main purpose of buying it) - there are countless ready made models for different tastes. You install Daz and with it the free base models, and then simply "apply" the new model upon the base figure and voila. But keep in mind some ready made models doesn't have genital textures and to get genitals mesh at all you need the Daz model packages marked as PRO. Of course every child and teen related PRO packages doesn't offer genitals. Or you can buy genitals from 3rd party content manufacturers.

If you decide to create entirely new model by sculpting and such this is the way some Daz artists create content for selling (as long as you don't change the mesh of the basic models). And if you are a Blender guy you can use Blender and the http://www.manuelbastioni.com/ great free plugin to create new models from scratch literally for minutes (it can even adapt the bodies to match a background picture) - but the guy doing the plugin does not created genitals for it so it is useless if you plan to make adult stuff. And of course those models doesn't have compatibility with the Daz product so you are all alone if you decide to go this way.

Edit: This is very basic knowledge, but if you start from very beginning and as it is very different from what you do with a software like Blender for example, it may be very frustrating and time consuming to understand the basics. As it was with me:-( The people on the official Daz forum are very friendly and they have a staff member who is watching the topics and always is doing his best to help - but to get a help you have to know what to ask.

Edited by user Monday, January 7, 2019 9:27:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ProtocolZero  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 12:11:33 AM(UTC)
ProtocolZero

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
If you're just getting started with 3D sculpting, you might want to download a copy of Sculptris:

http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

It's from the same folks who make ZBrush, but this is a smaller app and it's free (while a license for ZBrush is something like $800 or so.) There are lots of Sculptris videos on YouTube and tutorials and assets (like materials) on sites like DeviantArt, and even some of the bigger training sites like Lynda.com and Pluralsight have Sculptris courses.
thadius  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 8:51:26 AM(UTC)
thadius

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If you are particularly interested in sculpting I would suggest checking out YanSculpts on YouTube. It may have a big influence on whether you want to dive into Blender.
As far as basic models to start with, I would recommend MakeHuman. I used ver. 1.0.2. and the .mhx addon. There are not as many options and assets as newer versions but I have less problems in Blender with this rig.
I have looked into http://www.manuelbastioni.com/ , but as I remember the models you create are not CC0. I tried to check this but both both FireFox and Internet Explorer blocked it for security.
I don't know if I would recommend Blender for a beginner. It is very complicated and takes a lot of time to learn. I use it and Makehuman almost exclusively and I am always discovering new things in Blender.
If you want to go that route you might look at Darrin Lile or VscorpianC on YouTube.
My philosophy is, If its free and CC0 I'll use it.
You might also want to check if MeshLab might be useful.
Lednah  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:31:44 PM(UTC)
Lednah

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Originally Posted by: thadius Go to Quoted Post

I have looked into http://www.manuelbastioni.com/ , but as I remember the models you create are not CC0. I tried to check this but both both FireFox and Internet Explorer blocked it for security.

Just checked:

Development of ManuelbastioniLAB stopped

Very sad. The guy stopped the development due to the lack of funding. Which was quite understandable due to the lack of adult elements. Every 3rd new question on the Blenderartists forum was about the adult elements, but the developer was on crusade against them "Never, never, never...!!!". Which was weird as it was the same guy which created the adult elements for Makehuman (at least I read so). Keeping in mind there is already a free script for nearly perfect import of Daz models to Blender with clothing, hair, genitals, rigging, posing, expressions etc, it's no wonder everyone was admiring the efforts of Manuel Bastioni (I take this is the developer name, right?), but the practical use was very low.

The thread with the download link of the importer and the developer help if someone is interested: https://blenderartists.o.../daz-importer/684697/190