Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bowiefan  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 5, 2017 7:48:38 PM(UTC)
bowiefan

Well beginning of August there was a fire next door and the firemen fought the fire from my office and damaged my computer.  

To get to the point, I had to replace my computer.  This one came with windows 10 which the salesman said would run soft ware that ran on windows 7.  It didn't.  so my options are to purchase either poser 11 or poser pro 11 which are windows 10 compatable.  Thing is pro 11 is significantly more expensive than just 11  Should I just purchase the 11 or bite the bullet and buy pro 11?

Thanks

Bowiefan

contedesfees  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 5, 2017 11:05:36 PM(UTC)
contedesfees

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder where you keep your old Poser executable. Select it and right click. Directly below the "Run as Administrator" selection, you should see a menu selection titled "Troubleshoot compatibility." If so, click that and follow the prompts to install the older version of Poser.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest you hold on until SmithMicro has a sale and upgrade from your current version to the new Poser 11 or Poser Pro 11. Until then, download DAZ Studio and amuse yourself.

shadoman  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 6, 2017 12:55:32 PM(UTC)
shadoman

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 53 post(s)

If you have the older poser version S/N,  you can opt to purchase either version at the upgrade price which is always far cheeper than full retail

Also if you wait for a sale and they do happen quite often one can get the Upgrade discount at even a better price

Also not that it has been @ 2 years since the last version of poser was released..  A new version may be in the works

Who knows what lurks in the hearts of perverted artist....
The Shado Knows
davo  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 6, 2017 3:17:55 PM(UTC)
davo

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Poser 11 pro version's "copy morphs from figure" command suuuuuure is nice.  Just sayin.

Sutut  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 5:42:07 AM(UTC)
Sutut

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
How is the latest Poser...?

I have a new Win10 computer, high specs. Is it good?

I've loved Poser every iteration so far but too busy and plenty of crashes already so didn't want to be "Crash Test Dummy" aka early adopter.
shadoman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:54:36 AM(UTC)
shadoman

Personally,  I bought Pro 11 and found it awkward to use and since I had some projects for clients decided to do that work on Pro 2014 instead..  and have kept so busy that after 2 years I've yet to go back in and get used to working with it.   Just can't put my finger on it, but compared to Pro 2014 it was just not user friendly and the Superfly Rendering engine would not work with my current mesh library when it came to apply SSS shaders.,   Now most Venders making Textures for Poser have both Firefly and SuperFly rendering options,  But the thing is I just don't have the time to go through my various librarys and check off the base meshes that do not use both.   So at least till the end of this year, I'll stick with Pro 2014   But the next version of Poser may be a Pass for me and it will be the first time since Version 3

Regards  Shadoman

The Shado Knows
davo  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 10:19:09 AM(UTC)
davo

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I've had really good results using poser pro 11.  I use it for renders as it appears to render faster than the other versions in my opinion. The cartoon line edges have come a long way, a vast improvement over 2014. They have fixed a few issues that were buggy in the library.

shadoman  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 12:18:39 PM(UTC)
shadoman

I've still have projects to complete for the end of the year..  maybe next year I'll play around with it agian

The Shado Knows
bowiefan  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2017 7:57:42 PM(UTC)
bowiefan

Thanks for all of the advice.
I now have a bigger issue. I installed Poser 11. It will take some getting used to.
Here is the big problem at present. When I ran Poser 2012 I used 64 bit and saved to a dedicated folder I opened in its runtime.
I backed up all of the files and harvested the drive when the computer died. That folder now says empty and all of my saved scenes
are no longer there. Even going back to my old hard drive and opening up Poser did nothing. Those files are gone and all of the saved zip files are gone..
When I first installed Poser 11 it installed in 24 bit. I thought that was the problem and installed it in 64 bit. It made no difference.
I am thinking about gambling on a new motherboard for the old computer otherwise I've lost five years worth of work.
any advice much appreciated.