Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LL  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 5, 2021 1:14:00 PM(UTC)
LL

Hello, i was wondering if i buy something, say a piece of clothing, furniture, scene or restraint, can i then use that in a 2D render for commercial purposes without royalties or limitations?

If it's specific to each product how can i tell if i'm able to use it or not? for example there is one i'm looking at right now and it only says "All rights reserved. Not intended for
redistribution." in the attached read me file.

And how could i contact the seller and reach out to them specifically? When i try to do a PM i get an error: Sorry, user "Vunter Slaush" is not a registered on this forum.

Thanks for your help and input!

BrotherHades  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 5, 2021 5:26:29 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 240 post(s)

Generally anything you've purchased and rendered you are free to do as you want with (I'll add a caveat here dealing with limitations on usage when dealing with "fanart" and other items where you are dealing with items based on copyrighted or trademarked characters etc.)

There is also a limitation of adding the figures to or using them in a commercial game engine, which requires a different license (A key to if the interactive licenses are needed is whether the usage includes use of the 3d mesh in an environment where the player will be able to move around or control the figure)

So generally any 2d rendered images or game sprites, tubes, and animated films are all acceptable uses within the basic license. Adding the figure into a video game where the user will have control of the figure requires a separate license (Mainly due to the fact that you are adding a game adapted version of the product so it is a form of redistribution of the product)

Originally Posted by: LL Go to Quoted Post

for example there is one i'm looking at right now and it only says "All rights reserved. Not intended for
redistribution." in the attached read me file.

Usually verbiage like that is added to deter people from uploading the items to a file sharing site or pirating copies. (Which sadly is all too common in the Daz Studio and Poser communities.) Or has also been used to deter people from trying to sell copies of the items adapted for Second Life and similar systems where there is a user market and very shady practices surrounding said market.  

thanks 1 user thanked BrotherHades for this useful post.
RangerRabbit on 9/6/2021(UTC)
LL  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2021 3:30:32 AM(UTC)
LL

Thanks for the reply!

Originally Posted by: BrotherHades Go to Quoted Post
Generally anything you've purchased and rendered you are free to do as you want with

I understand that's how things seem to work with DAZ 3D's official website, but i wasn't able to find any specifics on EULAs for this site

Usually verbiage like that is added to deter people from uploading the items to a file sharing site or pirating copies.

Okay but there's also lack of saying "You may use this in an unlimited amount of 2D personal and commercial renders including adult orientated material without any need to pay royalties or any other extra fees" and i know there's the interactive licenses on DAZ 3D's site for 3d content but i haven't seen that here (unless i am missing it)

kanshinin  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2021 6:31:59 AM(UTC)
kanshinin

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 32 post(s)
The one caveat I would add is to check usage rights when downloading free items. I have seen some agreements where it states not for commercial usage. But most things you buy, you can use commercially.
Katsuyaki  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2021 8:23:23 AM(UTC)
Katsuyaki

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)

Generally, the standard license allows you to use commercial products (and most free ones) to create 2D images (stills or animations) and then to use those however you like. DAZ has its "interactive licenses" and the other "R" site (sorry, system won't let me spell it out) has its "extended licenses" that allow those same products to be used in additional ways (usually in game engines). When in doubt, check the documentation that comes with an item. The item's creator will also usually include contact information should any questions come up.

The most common prohibited practices are distributing commercial items for free, claiming an item as your own creation when it really isn't, altering someone's work without permission or attribution, etc. The licenses are usually pretty clear on what you can and can't do.

Edited by user Monday, September 6, 2021 8:27:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LL  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2021 4:26:11 PM(UTC)
LL

@ kanshinin
That makes sense on the free assets but for the ones you purchase i don't always see anything on the specific product saying if it can be used personally or commercially and in what manners. Unless you can only see the agreements after you've purchased and downloaded something? (inside of the zip)

@
Katsuyaki
So, to my understanding i have to purchase it first to see the agreement included in the download? otherwise use the contact info inside the download? (if it's included or still operational)

I guess what i'm looking for is a site side license as most places have this DAZ 3D, Turbo Squid, CGTrader, Art Station to name a few, that openly states what you can and cannot do with things you purchase (even if there's different licensing options), but it sounds as if it's more of a custom EULA per product from the seller? (whatever the seller writes)

The closest thing i can find is in the Terms of Services at: https://www.renderotica.com/help/terms-of-service.aspx

It states the following:

8. Unauthorized Use of Materials

Subject to our Privacy Policy, any communication or material that you transmit to this site or to us, whether by electronic mail, post, or other means, for any reason, will be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary. While you retain all rights in such communications or material, you grant us and our agents and affiliates a non-exclusive, paid-up, perpetual, and worldwide right to copy, distribute, display, perform, publish, translate, adapt, modify, and otherwise use such material for any purpose regardless of the form or medium (now known or not currently known) in which it is used.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Does that include users with registered accounts? - to my understanding "our agents" is referring to the site's staff - example: we and our agents have the right at their sole discretion to remove any content that, in our judgment, does not comply with these Terms of Use.

and affiliates are the other website branches?

If anyone can find anything else or elaborate further i'd greatly appreciate it, and Thanks for everyone's help so far!

BrotherHades  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2021 4:51:22 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Usually verbiage like that is added to deter people from uploading the items to a file sharing site or pirating copies.

Okay but there's also lack of saying "You may use this in an unlimited amount of 2D personal and commercial renders including adult orientated material without any need to pay royalties or any other extra fees" and i know there's the interactive licenses on DAZ 3D's site for 3d content but i haven't seen that here (unless i am missing it)

The readme isn't the license and every Vendor selling here or at R or at Daz have agreed to release the items under the specific license terms the store uses in their standard license.

Now like I said some vendors have started putting various warnings and reminders in their readme's as an additional layer to remind the users they are not permitted to redistribute the files purchased at the stores due to finding their items uploaded to pirate sites, that literally give away the vendors products. 

And yes there are extended licenses here but are going to be paying a premium for the additional license allowing further usage such as use in and redistribution through 3d game engines, as an example Androgyny For Futalicious using regular license is 14.90 the extended license version is 44.70

The usage license is included with every purchase and as has been stated it is a pretty standard license and is very similar to the ones at Daz Studio and R. 

here is the key verbiage 
"Author retains all copyrights to the enclosed materials, Buyer is not purchasing the contents, only the right to use the contents. Buyer may not redistribute this archive file, in whole or in part. Buyer may not store it any place on a network or on the Internet where it may potentially be referenced by a third party. Author retains the right to resell this work at any price to anyone else, or stop selling it at any time. Buyer acquires the copyright to any derivative works created using this work, provided that none of the original materials can be extracted from the derivative work by any means."

and

"Buyer may use the materials in any personal projects or commercial projects, as long as the Author's work is protected from extraction and none of the items above have been violated."

So as I said you are being granted permission to use the content in any manner you want, even to make commercial renders, as long as the mesh can't be extracted and redistributed or you aren't redistributing the files themselves. 

LL  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2021 5:08:59 PM(UTC)
LL

@ BrotherHades
Ok thanks that's good to hear, I have not purchased anything yet so i was trying to find the specifics first, could you tell me exactly where i can find that text you referenced?

BrotherHades  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2021 6:14:17 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

@ BrotherHades
Ok thanks that's good to hear, I have not purchased anything yet so i was trying to find the specifics first, could you tell me exactly where i can find that text you referenced?

The full license will be included in any zip from the store 

it will be named EndUserLicense.txt

Rather generic name, but as the license covers purchases from both CGBytes and Renderotica is probably why it is such a generic filename.

LL  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 4:48:16 AM(UTC)
LL

@ BrotherHades
Okay Thanks! i'll be sure to look it over

Communications  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2021 1:19:48 AM(UTC)
Communications

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 116 post(s)

@ BrotherHades
Okay Thanks! i'll be sure to look it over

Jumping in late here sorry about that,  a lot of great info has been posted already but some of it is a bit mixed up

First and foremost, generally speaking almost all commercial products you buy will allow you a commercial license for images and or videos (clips, animated gifs, or full fledged scenes) IF you wanted to use them to create content for a video game you'll normally need to buy an extra license for that (generally called an extended license)

All products we carry are supposed to clearly state the rights you have when buying a product and that is listed in the product readme file (which CAN be seen without buying the product,  simply look to the bottom area on ANY product page where you'll find "DOWNLOADS"  then simply click on whatever filename is shown in that section as every product has diff names.

The file inside of a purchased product named: EndUserLicense.txt  is our store license and only covers the rights of buying a product from us, that you are not allowed to spread the files you bought, the creator obtains all rights of the product, and how refunds are handled. Actual rules and regulations for product usage is handled by each content artist.

When it comes to paid for products, the biggest difference in rules tend to depend on if the product is a Merchant Resource or not,  normally a Merchant Resource product will allow you to use some or all of their product files to create your own commercial product with.

Where as a free product might have stricter rules that do not allow you to have any sort of commercial rights, and that normally depends on what the free product creator used to create the product and the usage rights they are bound by,

Another thing to keep in mind though,  if you're buying products from a store that is not Renderotica or CGbytes, there may be other rules or regulations you'll need to look out for,  however when it comes to a product that is made in the likeness of something official like say a Stormtrooper from Star Wars or something that is OR is very close to a Marvel or DC character for example,  even if the readme files say you can use it commercially you MAY encounter issues from the owners of the IP holders.  (we curb this by not allowing anything in our stores that could violate someone's IP.

Hope that helps!

Teronsuke
Community Manager / Social Media Manager
Renderotica / CGbytes