Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Trenchdweller  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 2:14:27 PM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Can anyone here tell me why here at Renderotica it is popular for some vendors to want their product installed in 'My Library' instead of what has pretty much been the tradition, installed directly into "My Daz3D Library'? It always turns into a train wreck. The products either don't show up in the 'My Library' folder or they do in bits and pieces. It drives me to a state of abject frustration. I've really grown wary of Renderotica's products for that reason. Today I guess I was feeling lucky and against my better judgment bought such a product. Stung again. The product does not show up in "My Library". It shows up in a folder inside 'My Library' inside 'My Daz3D Library'. And the Textures (Runtime)? I put them in both 'My Library' and in the Runtime folder in 'MyDaz3D Library. The readme gave instruction as to where the 'People' folder should go but gave no instructions regarding the Runtime!

IS there a valid reason for mucking things up and putting them in 'My Folder' instead of the traditional 'My Daz3D Library? Or do these vendors just like to fuck with their customers?

Ask for a refund? Over $12? My time is worth something, and spending hours haggling over a $12 refund is a losing proposition on my part. A losing proposition for Renderotica as well since I will not make the mistake of buying such a product again. This garbage needs to stop. If other vendors can manage to install the same type of product directly into 'My Daz3D Library', then why can't these people do the same? It's just insanity.

Edited by user Thursday, May 23, 2019 2:23:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Absinthe  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 4:07:46 PM(UTC)
Absinthe

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 103 post(s)

I understand your frustration, however installation isn't that difficult. Please see this post

http://www.renderotica.com/community/forums.aspx?g=posts&t=218553#post424868

Trenchdweller  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:01:52 PM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

Absinthe? I appreciate your taking the time to respond. And I thank you for it. I am not, however, a 'noobie'. I began in 2004 with Poser, dabbled in early Bryce, had a love affair with Vue, and an almost equally passionate affair with Carrara. I tried early Daz Studio but didn't care much for it. It has since improved a lot of its clunkiness and become less buggy. As far as easy to deal with, Poser has always won that medal. Sometime during the past 5-10 years, Daz has surpassed Poser's image quality, yet still remains somewhat buggy. I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with your theory that those stupid 'noobies' are always at fault. I have used the copy, drag, and paste method for years with very little trouble. It's only recently that I've had the nightmarish encounters with vendors (almost exclusively at Renderotica) who for whatever reason insist on depositing everything into the 'My Library' folder. (Which btw you never explained the reason) I never have issues with a product which is deposited in 'My Daz3D Library' folder. It seems that with every product I buy that uses the 'My Library' method completely blows up any chance of using that product.

Unless someone shows me an argument where the 'My Library' function is a necessity or even somehow an improvement, I will cease to buy from vendors who use the method. But yeah, for sure. Blame it all on those stupid 'noobies'. They only spend their hard earned dollars here and don't deserve any better. Thank you for your tutorial and reply. But when it comes to the point where the buyer has to do all the installation and must make sure every item goes into the right place, I'll be done with graphic 3D art. I don't want to have to invest hours of my time making sure the vendor did his work right.

Thanks so much for your time and effort.
Thunder-3D  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:50:49 PM(UTC)
Thunder-3D

Was thanked: 237 time(s) in 158 post(s)

Hi Trenchdweller!

Basically, "My Library" is intended for 3rd party content, or content the user saves themselves. That's a DAZ thing, it's not a law but it is a guideline. So most artists here and on '*deleted*zip their products that way. Some don't, but the way Studio looks for files means that almost always, the content can be installed to either the My Library folder structure or the My Daz3D Library folder structure and either way should work fine.

Personally, I install everything to "My Daz3D library" ragardles of the PA's zip folder structure, and have never had a problem. As for the PA's, we're all just following the guidelines laid out by DAZ, please don't hold it against us :)

Hope that clears things up :)

Thunder

matt  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:04:44 PM(UTC)
matt

Was thanked: 312 time(s) in 211 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Trenchdweller Go to Quoted Post
Absinthe? I appreciate your taking the time to respond. And I thank you for it. I am not, however, a 'noobie'. I began in 2004 with Poser, dabbled in early Bryce, had a love affair with Vue, and an almost equally passionate affair with Carrara. I tried early Daz Studio but didn't care much for it. It has since improved a lot of its clunkiness and become less buggy. As far as easy to deal with, Poser has always won that medal. Sometime during the past 5-10 years, Daz has surpassed Poser's image quality, yet still remains somewhat buggy. I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with your theory that those stupid 'noobies' are always at fault. I have used the copy, drag, and paste method for years with very little trouble. It's only recently that I've had the nightmarish encounters with vendors (almost exclusively at Renderotica) who for whatever reason insist on depositing everything into the 'My Library' folder. (Which btw you never explained the reason) I never have issues with a product which is deposited in 'My Daz3D Library' folder. It seems that with every product I buy that uses the 'My Library' method completely blows up any chance of using that product.

Unless someone shows me an argument where the 'My Library' function is a necessity or even somehow an improvement, I will cease to buy from vendors who use the method. But yeah, for sure. Blame it all on those stupid 'noobies'. They only spend their hard earned dollars here and don't deserve any better. Thank you for your tutorial and reply. But when it comes to the point where the buyer has to do all the installation and must make sure every item goes into the right place, I'll be done with graphic 3D art. I don't want to have to invest hours of my time making sure the vendor did his work right.

Thanks so much for your time and effort.

When did Absinthe call you a noobie? If you are referring to MY use of the word 'noob' in the post she directed you to, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular nor was it meant to be an insult. 

In any case, as Thunder mentioned, if you always drag everything to 'My DAZ 3D Library' using the process that I laid out in the linked post, you should never have an issue.

Trenchdweller  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 9:49:03 PM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

Thanks, Thunder3D for explaining the purpose. It was, as you mentioned, and I suspected, a pretty much useless exercise in mucking up the process. I buy probably more from Daz than elsewhere, simply for the ease of installation. Even with DIM, there are occasionally snafus. That's why I always manually download the files just so I can find the position in which it was placed. I do not remember ever seeing any files in which 'My Library' were ever used as a destination. It's possible I missed one, but the first time I ever experienced the phenomenon was in a file I purchased here.

Sometimes, it's better to buck the system than wreck hours of the buyers time and nerves. I always liked the phrase made popular in the Clinton years. KISS (Keep it simple, stupid.

Thanks again for your help, Thunder!
Trenchdweller  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 10:12:43 PM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

matt, she didn't outright call me a newbie, nor did she indicate the tutorial wasn't hers by attributing it to you. She mentioned to me that, "however installation isn't that difficult." As if I wasn't the brightest color in the Crayola box hadn't done this much, indicating I didn't know that 90% of the time installation was 'easy'. I will stop buying products that are to be placed in 'My Library' It is almost sure to never work for me. Apparently, you enjoy digging through all your files to make sure everything is rightfully placed. To me that spells TEDIOUS. I got into this as a hobby to pass time in an enjoyable way. For me, your method would require just as much time as building a scene and rendering it. I apologize for assuming the tutorial was Absinthes. I had no way of knowing.

matt? if going through all those changes makes you happy, then, by all means, do it. Please don't take offense because I'd rather not. I'd rather do without the product than have to pull out my hair out because of frustration.

Regardless, thanks for all your time and effort in trying to help me. We just view things differently. Also, you may be more studied than the average person when it comes to internal Daz workings, allowing you to do it in a flash. I dunno.
But thanks again.

P.S. (as a footnote) to Thunder3D. I don't blame the vendors for making mistakes, I am flummoxed that some manage to do it every time. Something that renders the product useless to me.

Edited by user Thursday, May 23, 2019 10:15:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Communications  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 10:31:28 PM(UTC)
Communications

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 115 post(s)

matt, she didn't outright call me a newbie, nor did she indicate the tutorial wasn't hers by attributing it to you. She mentioned to me that, "however installation isn't that difficult." As if I wasn't the brightest color in the Crayola box hadn't done this much, indicating I didn't know that 90% of the time installation was 'easy'. I will stop buying products that are to be placed in 'My Library' It is almost sure to never work for me. Apparently, you enjoy digging through all your files to make sure everything is rightfully placed. To me that spells TEDIOUS. I got into this as a hobby to pass time in an enjoyable way. For me, your method would require just as much time as building a scene and rendering it. I apologize for assuming the tutorial was Absinthes. I had no way of knowing.

matt? if going through all those changes makes you happy, then, by all means, do it. Please don't take offense because I'd rather not. I'd rather do without the product than have to pull out my hair out because of frustration.

Regardless, thanks for all your time and effort in trying to help me. We just view things differently. Also, you may be more studied than the average person when it comes to internal Daz workings, allowing you to do it in a flash. I dunno.
But thanks again.

P.S. (as a footnote) to Thunder3D. I don't blame the vendors for making mistakes, I am flummoxed that some manage to do it every time. Something that renders the product useless to me.

Dunno if you've noticed or not,  but literally "My Library"  means ZERO if you want to 'install' products into ANY OTHER FOLDER,  you simply need to open up "My Library" from a product you bought and then simply drag the folders INSIDE it to where you would normally do so.

Daz ONLY cares about the following folders:

Data
Documentiation
People
Runtime (Textures folder is located inside that one)

(some product might also utilize other top level folders such as:)
Animals
Camera Presets
Environments
Light Presets
Presets
Props
Scenes
Scripts
Scenes
Vehicles

The fact remains though, no matter what the folder is called that you unzip from ANY 3rd party vendor, it's the ROOT folders you need to move over to your own desired folder, it's literally a no hassel, almost imposable to mess up.  IF you are messing up, it's most likely just due to over thinking things.

(FWIW My products (under my vendor name) are literally just the product name for the unpacked folder, and when you open it up all the root folders are right ready ot be copy/pasted into wherever you normally keep your 3rd party installs)

Trenchdweller  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 11:28:09 PM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

Thanks, Teronsuke. I get your point, but the readme in this product, stated, and I quote,

"Copy the 'People' folder in the unzipped folder and paste them into your DAZ Library folder.(e.g. C:\Users\Your Username\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library)"

I don't know how to take it any other way. AS a matter of fact, it's worded rather awkwardly. I think English may not be his/her first language.

Thanks again. This discussion has been illuminating.

Communications  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 1:06:58 AM(UTC)
Communications

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 115 post(s)

Thanks, Teronsuke. I get your point, but the readme in this product, stated, and I quote,

"Copy the 'People' folder in the unzipped folder and paste them into your DAZ Library folder.(e.g. C:\Users\Your Username\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library)"

I don't know how to take it any other way. AS a matter of fact, it's worded rather awkwardly. I think English may not be his/her first language.

Thanks again. This discussion has been illuminating.

Well honestly,  simply break it down...   

Paste into YOUR Daz Library folder  (if YOURS is "Daz Stuff" on an external drive then you'd put it there)

e.g. = example,  so IF YOUR folder is My Library then you would put it there,  if not you put it in YOUR proper folder

and it's worded just fine, paste into YOUR folder,  and they give an example.

PS,  JUST by going off what you pasted, this would be a pose set correct?  as it only asked for the People folder to be moved  (People/Genesis X Y / Poses / Pose set name)  where X = ver number IE 3, 8  and Y = male or female

matt  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 9:09:31 AM(UTC)
matt

Was thanked: 312 time(s) in 211 post(s)

But thanks again.

Tedious? As much time as building a scene? It literally takes me 30 seconds. A few mouse clicks, drag and drop, DONE.

Trenchdweller  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 12:13:55 PM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

Teronsuke, no, it is not a pose set. In actuality, it is a tattoo product.
Masterstroke  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 1:34:12 PM(UTC)
Masterstroke

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 171 post(s)
Your DAZ 3D software is suppose to be: .../DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4

Your content is located to: ...DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library.
(you have set up these paths during DAZSutio install process renember?)

Open your zip file and extract all your files to: .../DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library.
Just follow this and you won't have problems

The structure belowmust be: data/...
Runtime/ Textures/...

And don't change paths later. Let your zip installer do the work. Do not do that manually!!!
I highley recommand 7zip as an unzipper tool, because you can access any hiraxchy level of rhe zipped files and unzip from there.

good luck
Trenchdweller  
#14 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 5:15:02 PM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

Thanks for your time, Masterstroke. My only question is if it has loaded just fine (until lately) using 'My Daz3D Library' as a content destination, why decide all of the sudden that 'My Library' (which already exists within 'My Daz3D Library) is to be the new destination for content? I'm no Einstein, but I can see where one would be asking for trouble using that prescription. Not all vendors do it, but I avoid like the plague a product where the final destination for content is 'My Library'.

Thanks for your gracious information.
It's much appreciated.

TD
Zaavaleta  
#15 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 7:39:53 PM(UTC)
Zaavaleta

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 63 post(s)

Thanks for your time, Masterstroke. My only question is if it has loaded just fine (until lately) using 'My Daz3D Library' as a content destination, why decide all of the sudden that 'My Library' (which already exists within 'My Daz3D Library) is to be the new destination for content? I'm no Einstein, but I can see where one would be asking for trouble using that prescription. Not all vendors do it, but I avoid like the plague a product where the final destination for content is 'My Library'.

Thanks for your gracious information.
It's much appreciated.

TD

I'm not sure what's happening with your directories, but My Daz 3D Library should be a folder in your Documents folder (wherever that is). My Library should be in the Studio folder inside Daz 3D folder in your Documents directory. So you should have:

\Documents\My Daz 3D Library    (installed content)

\Documents\Daz3D\Studio\My Library        (content you created and saved)

At least that's what most people have. If a product is putting a My Library folder inside My Daz 3D Library, that's just wrong. Regardless, you can take the internal files from the zip file and put them wherever you want. But, I can already see your frustration, so if you just want to chuck it all I don't blame you.

Trenchdweller  
#16 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 8:10:46 PM(UTC)
Trenchdweller

Yes, Zaavaleta. What you describe is the way my D.S. is set up. With the exception of mine are in 'Public Documents/My DAZ3D Library' folder. This shouldn't make a difference regardless. I seem to remember 'My Library' being there inside 'My DAZ3D Library' from the beginning. There is even a 'MyLibrary 2', neither of which I installed. It's beyond my paygrade to comprehend. So I just do the best I can.

Many Thanks,
TD
Masterstroke  
#17 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2019 6:06:56 AM(UTC)
Masterstroke

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 171 post(s)

Open "Content Directory Manager" to select, where DS should look for your files.
and 7zip is king. It's free and you can unzip from any level of the hirachy tree.

Edited by user Saturday, May 25, 2019 6:17:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Masterstroke attached the following image(s):
Clipboard02.jpg