Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
casualgrapher  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:29:36 PM(UTC)
casualgrapher

Was thanked: 172 time(s) in 165 post(s)

I know I've said this before, but really I do and it's because I care about getting my human characters especially to look natural that it eats up a lot of my time, or else it'd be badabing badaboom I'm done. Does anyone else dread posing? 

Lighting the way to the dark side
Zaavaleta  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2019 7:42:55 PM(UTC)
Zaavaleta

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 63 post(s)

It's definitely not my favorite. Sometimes I'll do the posing first so it's out of the way and I can work on other stuff. Other times I'll go through poses I already have and use bits and pieces (arms, legs, upper, lower body) to make a complete pose. But yes, it is a pain sometimes.

thanks 1 user thanked Zaavaleta for this useful post.
casualgrapher on 9/16/2019(UTC)
SnarltheWerewolf  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2019 10:08:00 PM(UTC)
SnarltheWerewolf

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I tend to just flip through and find a pose that's like 50-70% there and just go from there fixing it. For me at least, it's easier to fix and tweak a bad pose than to start from a figure in the zero position. Also, that Pose Architect is a good program for starting off a pose from the zero position and then working from there. It makes naturals poses.
thanks 2 users thanked SnarltheWerewolf for this useful post.
banditcameraman on 9/16/2019(UTC), casualgrapher on 9/16/2019(UTC)
brookes  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2019 5:33:25 AM(UTC)
brookes

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 28 post(s)

Originally Posted by: SnarltheWerewolf Go to Quoted Post
I tend to just flip through and find a pose that's like 50-70% there and just go from there fixing it. For me at least, it's easier to fix and tweak a bad pose than to start from a figure in the zero position.

Posing is my favouritest(?) thing in the whole world!  I have mental (and private) conversations with the characters as I pose them and often change the poses as I fiddle with them.  Frequently the whole scenario will change as a new pose will give me an idea and shoot the whole scene into another direction.  I don't so much work towards a render as I 'play dolls' with the girls.  As bedtime approaches I'll hit render and let it work overnight.  To me it's the process, NOT the finished product that I enjoy.  And yes, I also usually start from a premade pose.

thanks 1 user thanked brookes for this useful post.
casualgrapher on 9/16/2019(UTC)
Zeppelin  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:27:22 PM(UTC)
Zeppelin

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 95 post(s)
It is a challenge but when you get a complex pose right, there is a feeling of accomplishment
thanks 1 user thanked Zeppelin for this useful post.
casualgrapher on 9/17/2019(UTC)
casualgrapher  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:09:14 PM(UTC)
casualgrapher

My Secret Goblin Obsession was a doozy. Seven goblins and each one posed differently, but not just for the sake of variety, but to give each a personality and these were just the guys in the background as observers. I'm not counting those who actually interacted with the girl, Bridget, which was a pain in the ass at times, but as Snarl said about flipping through a pose 70% close, absolutely a very good solution. I do that as well. And very true, Zeppelin, that sense of accomplishment at the end when you get the pose looking just right, just the way you wanted it, feels damn good!

thanks 1 user thanked casualgrapher for this useful post.
Zeppelin on 9/18/2019(UTC)
contedesfees  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:03:03 PM(UTC)
contedesfees

Was thanked: 528 time(s) in 509 post(s)

I have come to believe quite sincerely that no goal worth achieving is easily accomplished. The most magnificent achievements were the product of dogged mechanical drudgery, from the Sistine Chapel to the Model T to the Theory of Relativity to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. You must sit your butt down and relentlessly keep at it until it's done.

Live long and render
thanks 1 user thanked contedesfees for this useful post.
casualgrapher on 9/18/2019(UTC)
shadoman  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 5:52:13 PM(UTC)
shadoman

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 229 post(s)

Originally Posted by: casualgrapher Go to Quoted Post

I know I've said this before, but really I do and it's because I care about getting my human characters especially to look natural that it eats up a lot of my time, or else it'd be badabing badaboom I'm done. Does anyone else dread posing? 

Just saw this  and yes Posing is a necessary evil  Many times I look at my characters from one point of view and then when I swivel the scene I find that my one character who is having a conversation is not even ;looking at the other person

Now I own one hell of a lot of pose sets and I tend to use them but have found that they sometimes only look good from a certain POV  Swivel the pose around and you see all sort of limb contortions. Have I tweaked poses  Oh yeah  sometimes you have to  but all and all Posing is the least thing I enjoy when creating sets.. for me everything has to be right,  and some poses you buy alter the eyes as well so you have to fix that as well

If I had to give credit to a great posing Vendor  it would be XAMEVA   as long as you don't mess too much with the base morphs  Like give them Huge boobs or a big ass  they poses are spot on and if you zero each base figure and parent one to the other the poses will line up about 98% of the time

Regards Shadoman

Who knows what lurks in the hearts of perverted artist....
The Shado Knows
thanks 1 user thanked shadoman for this useful post.
casualgrapher on 9/25/2019(UTC)
contedesfees  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 11:42:17 PM(UTC)
contedesfees

Was thanked: 528 time(s) in 509 post(s)

Originally Posted by: shadoman Go to Quoted Post
Now I own one hell of a lot of pose sets and I tend to use them but have found that they sometimes only look good from a certain POV  Swivel the pose around and you see all sort of limb contortions. Have I tweaked poses  Oh yeah.

I bought a lot of pose sets myself only to discover that most serve only as a starting point. Now I just use them to approximate what I want and then refine the pose until I'm satisfied. I like Ironman13's sets. They quite versatile.

Live long and render
thanks 1 user thanked contedesfees for this useful post.
casualgrapher on 9/25/2019(UTC)
shadoman  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2019 10:50:21 AM(UTC)
shadoman

Originally Posted by: contedesfees Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: shadoman Go to Quoted Post
Now I own one hell of a lot of pose sets and I tend to use them but have found that they sometimes only look good from a certain POV  Swivel the pose around and you see all sort of limb contortions. Have I tweaked poses  Oh yeah.

I bought a lot of pose sets myself only to discover that most serve only as a starting point. Now I just use them to approximate what I want and then refine the pose until I'm satisfied. I like Ironman13's sets. They quite versatile.

I totally agree with you about I-13  poses in relation to his sets.. he takes everything into account and he has lots a V4 M4 go to placement poses to match his furniture.. And with the furniture is also morphs settings to depress the seat cushions to accomodate the poses.

regards  Shadoman

The Shado Knows
contedesfees on 9/25/2019(UTC)
trailfire  
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 5:41:11 PM(UTC)
trailfire

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Posing sure isn't my favorite thing to do. I would much rather play with materials and lighting. Fortunately there are several brilliant people who support people like me that supply poses that only need minor modifacations.
thanks 1 user thanked trailfire for this useful post.
casualgrapher on 9/28/2019(UTC)
casualgrapher  
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 10:10:24 PM(UTC)
casualgrapher

I've also done some animation and that's not any easier. 

It is what it is. Posing is a must in the creative process of 3d art. It just can't be shunned. 

Thank you all for your feedback! 👍

C

puppeteer-3dx  
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 5, 2019 1:35:37 PM(UTC)
puppeteer-3dx

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 45 post(s)
This headline makes me giggle, because i'm using a program that is named after this boring task.
I personally like the posing part, it is acctually the most interesting and creative part of the whole process of creating a render.
To light a sceen or choose the right camera angle is technical stuff, its important but it boils down to a handfull of rules, mostly identical to photographic work.
But posing is like sculpting, one starts with a lifeless block of clay and ends up with an almost living and breathing piece of artwork.
Im often use photo reference to get the right look and feel, but the most important tool is an understanding of how the human body works, how bones and muscles are connected and what the limits of movement really are.
This is the reason i think posing is the best part of making 3D art.
"I always liked to play with Dolls, i dressed them and undressed them, i build a whole world around them...since i discovered Poser, i can do it without crawling around on the carpet!"
thanks 1 user thanked puppeteer-3dx for this useful post.
casualgrapher on 10/7/2019(UTC)
shadoman  
#14 Posted : Sunday, October 6, 2019 9:12:28 AM(UTC)
shadoman

Originally Posted by: puppeteer-3dx Go to Quoted Post
This headline makes me giggle, because i'm using a program that is named after this boring task.
I personally like the posing part, it is acctually the most interesting and creative part of the whole process of creating a render.
To light a sceen or choose the right camera angle is technical stuff, its important but it boils down to a handfull of rules, mostly identical to photographic work.
But posing is like sculpting, one starts with a lifeless block of clay and ends up with an almost living and breathing piece of artwork.
Im often use photo reference to get the right look and feel, but the most important tool is an understanding of how the human body works, how bones and muscles are connected and what the limits of movement really are.
This is the reason i think posing is the best part of making 3D art.

I totally agree.. 

At times I have tried to simulate how a pose should be set by using my own body and testing the pose or poses that are delivered via a purchase.

some poses although they may look good are sometimes almost impossible to attain in real life

some of this is the fault of the bash mesh not having the proper bones to complete the task but the vendor might push the limits of the mesh and thus that poses becomes slightly flawed and needs some tweaking in post work and that is why Post work is so important as all meshes even some of the newer millenium meshes require some tweaking and even tho I do not use the newer meshes  I see plenty of flaws from the adverts here and at *deleted*.  I look at the mesh and can see a limb that is just not right visually

Regards  Shado

The Shado Knows
BillyBoyBlue  
#15 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 3:51:08 AM(UTC)
BillyBoyBlue

Was thanked: 1615 time(s) in 1255 post(s)
Lol! The amount of times my girl has caught me in weird positions, checking to see if a pose is physically possible, is beyond counting. "What are you doing now?" the usual question. Try explaining a sex position a lesbian takes up when you're a male.

That aside, I usually look for a pose in my library that comes close to what I'm aiming for and adjust accordingly. It saves time but I must admit that posing finger parts, when contact with another figure is required, has to be my pet hate.
"Alright, get ready, here we go! Little Boy Blue, come blow up your horn"
thanks 1 user thanked BillyBoyBlue for this useful post.
billyben  
#16 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 10:44:04 AM(UTC)
billyben

Was thanked: 1504 time(s) in 1278 post(s)

Originally Posted by: BillyBoyBlue Go to Quoted Post
Lol! The amount of times my girl has caught me in weird positions, checking to see if a pose is physically possible, is beyond counting. "What are you doing now?" the usual question. Try explaining a sex position a lesbian takes up when you're a male.

That aside, I usually look for a pose in my library that comes close to what I'm aiming for and adjust accordingly. It saves time but I must admit that posing finger parts, when contact with another figure is required, has to be my pet hate.

Yeah, posing the thumbs makes ne especially crazy.  They don't seem to have enough twist at times.

Bill
I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused
LegacyZulu  
#17 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 11:48:18 AM(UTC)
LegacyZulu

I don't mind adjusting poses when the characters aren't that far off from the base mesh, but what's the best way to handle any significant difference in size? For example, using poses that were built with M8 and V8, but with someone like Mei Lin 8 instead of V8.

casualgrapher  
#18 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 1:14:48 PM(UTC)
casualgrapher

Originally Posted by: billyben Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: BillyBoyBlue Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, posing the thumbs makes ne especially crazy.  They don't seem to have enough twist at times.

Another good thing to mention is sometimes you need to check off the use limits in parameters settings. Some are a little too restricted I find. "Oh come on. Seriously!"