2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
matt  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2019 9:48:51 PM(UTC)
matt

Was thanked: 312 time(s) in 211 post(s)

So, I got an email from DAZ today saying that 4.11 is out. Sure enough, it's queued up in my DIM, ready for me to pull the trigger. Who's installed it? Thoughts? Is it good, bad, otherwise? Did they fuck up the interface? I see that dforce hair is now a common thing, so that's something I guess. Anything else that you've noticed as a standout improvement or drawback?

ProtocolZero  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 1:46:19 AM(UTC)
ProtocolZero

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Downloaded it but haven't installed it yet. Like you, I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done to it.
brookes  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 4:48:19 AM(UTC)
brookes

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Several reports in another forum say that the update hosed their Iray. Even installing new drivers from Nvidia didn't fix it. I'm going to wait a week and see what's said in the Daz forums where most of the users are.
simontemplar  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 5:45:24 AM(UTC)
simontemplar

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Hosed how?
"That was fun. Let's do it again."
Zaavaleta  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 7:26:43 AM(UTC)
Zaavaleta

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 63 post(s)

I'm using it. It seems ok so far. I don't think it broke anything, but  the new Iray update requires you to have a newer driver version. The denoiser is fun to use, it takes some of the grain out but it's not magic - it won't make your render go any faster overall.

Strand based hair is nice. It's basically the Garibaldi plugin, integrated into DS with Iray support. I don't know if the Dforce portion of it is available to users or only for PAs.

Iray rendering does seem to be faster - both the scene loading and the actual rendering, so that's a plus. Still no motion blur :(

gazukull  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 7:42:58 AM(UTC)
gazukull

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Installed and worked / rendered all day yesterday. Nothing ground breaking nor work breaking in it.
billyben  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 7:48:10 AM(UTC)
billyben

Was thanked: 1504 time(s) in 1278 post(s)

I am one of the guys that got hosed but it was a small issue.  After installing, it would not render.  After downloading and installing the latest Nvidia driver Game ready driver, issues went away.  It does render faster.  I haven't tried any of the new features yet (dForce hair, denoiser) bit it did not make any major changes other than having to update the driver.

Bill
I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused
simontemplar  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 7:55:31 AM(UTC)
simontemplar

Originally Posted by: Zaavaleta Go to Quoted Post

[...]but  the new Iray update requires you to have a newer driver version.

Seeing how slower are the updates on the Creators version of the Nvidia drivers, I assume you probably run the Gamers version? The latest I can see at Nvidia's for my 1070ti is 430-86 WHQL.

thanks 1 user thanked simontemplar for this useful post.
billyben on 6/14/2019(UTC)
billyben  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 9:12:19 AM(UTC)
billyben

Originally Posted by: simontemplar Go to Quoted Post

[...]but  the new Iray update requires you to have a newer driver version.

Seeing how slower are the updates on the Creators version of the Nvidia drivers, I assume you probably run the Gamers version? The latest I can see at Nvidia's for my 1070ti is 430-86 WHQL.

Yep, that's what I downloaded and it works fine.

Bill
thanks 1 user thanked billyben for this useful post.
Thunder-3D on 6/14/2019(UTC)
Thunder-3D  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 9:29:34 AM(UTC)
Thunder-3D

Was thanked: 236 time(s) in 157 post(s)

Great tip about updating the driver. I would have gone berzerk if I had upgraded and suddenly couldn't get any work done.

Does it truly render faster now? Like WAY faster or 10% faster?

I'm in the middle of a big project right now so I'm not going to risk any more delays, but as soon as it's done I'll be updating.

thanks 1 user thanked Thunder-3D for this useful post.
billyben on 6/14/2019(UTC)
sumigo  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 9:46:04 AM(UTC)
sumigo

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 121 post(s)

I had stopped using 4.11 when it was in Beta, the rendering was faster but it was doing strange things in my renders.

I just downloaded it and hope it isnt still happening.

/fingers crossed

Edit:

Looks like they fixed the issues I had. All good here.

Edited by user Friday, June 14, 2019 10:06:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

billyben  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 10:17:31 AM(UTC)
billyben

Originally Posted by: Thunder-3D Go to Quoted Post

Great tip about updating the driver. I would have gone berzerk if I had upgraded and suddenly couldn't get any work done.

I did go berserk and went into panic mode.  Posted ion teh DAZ forums and even sent a ticket then actually looked at the log file and it stated "WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend error: Cannot render: found no usable devices."  That's when it dawned on me that it may be a driver issue.   I updated the driver and all is well.  I am going to go back and test some of my previous problem renders to see if it is actually faster but I am on a Monochrime kick with b\\\Bettie \Mae right now so it is hard to compare but the last 3 renders I did (in Monochrome) were very fast.

Bill
sumigo  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 10:36:39 AM(UTC)
sumigo

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 121 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Thunder-3D Go to Quoted Post

I'm in the middle of a big project right now so I'm not going to risk any more delays, but as soon as it's done I'll be updating.

It's quite a bit faster, primarily in the beginning phases of rendering while compiling shaders, a scene I have been working on is now rendering with an image in around 30 seconds while before it was around 2 minutes before I would see the image begin to render.

rbug02  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 11:39:05 AM(UTC)
rbug02

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Well I downloaded it, installed new drivers (I do this every time for Studio and other software), seems I am always updating something. Installed Studio and it seems ok, I am now rendering an image with it while typing this seems to be an improvement over Studio's old greedy running. We will see I guess
I'm here for the donuts.....
Where are they??
BrotherHades  
#15 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 5:04:55 PM(UTC)
BrotherHades

Was thanked: 296 time(s) in 236 post(s)

I have it and have been playing with it, it is not bad I guess. It is going to take a lot of work and time to get used to the strand based hair, (only made it crash once so far, but had density pushed up to 900) but otherwise it is not bad it is just going to take time to get used to. I did make some nice looking pubic hair so far. Can't say much about the AI denoiser since I don't have an Nvidia card I can't use it.

Also would have been better to have the Strand Based Hair system a bit easier to find and use, a separate tab for it would have been nice, but I felt the same about dForce as well.

Dire_Wolf  
#16 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 5:27:05 PM(UTC)
Dire_Wolf

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)

I'm using it. It seems ok so far. I don't think it broke anything, but  the new Iray update requires you to have a newer driver version. The denoiser is fun to use, it takes some of the grain out but it's not magic - it won't make your render go any faster overall.

Strand based hair is nice. It's basically the Garibaldi plugin, integrated into DS with Iray support. I don't know if the Dforce portion of it is available to users or only for PAs.

Iray rendering does seem to be faster - both the scene loading and the actual rendering, so that's a plus. Still no motion blur :(

dForce hair is PA only.

Daz finally catches up to the 2010s with hair and of course the BS paywall basic hair physics.

Mother of god do we need a valid alternativie.

billyben  
#17 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 5:50:34 PM(UTC)
billyben

Originally Posted by: Dire_Wolf Go to Quoted Post

dForce hair is PA only.

The dForce hair creation tool is PA only.  You can purchase dForce hair products from the DAZ store

Bill
matt  
#18 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 10:25:35 PM(UTC)
matt

Was thanked: 312 time(s) in 211 post(s)

Downloaded new drivers, downloaded 4.11, installed. No issues, so far. Thanks for the input!

Darkseal  
#19 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2019 2:17:04 AM(UTC)
Darkseal

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Anyone using an RTX with Iray? Will it render?
simontemplar  
#20 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2019 2:39:47 AM(UTC)
simontemplar

Darkseal, I read about people having trouble with that but mostly they had less than enough ram. To be on the safe side your system should have twice as much ram as your rtx does, if you have/get one. Then, it'll render. However I don't know for sure if rtx will benefit you more than a gtx just now. Some things need to be adressed. I got this from irayplugins.com:

"Support for the RT Core acceleration in RTX is underway and will be released later this year. For now the RTX cards do already work, the RT Core portion just isn't used, however the Tensor cores do get used to accelerate the AI Denoising just as they did on the Volta based GPUs. We don't have definitive performance information on Iray with RT Core support yet but should be able to talk about it fairly soon, suffice to say the speed up is significant, though quite scene dependent."

This was in february. 

Edited by user Saturday, June 15, 2019 2:44:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified