Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Absinthe  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 4:33:45 AM(UTC)
Absinthe

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 102 post(s)

I was just told that Doc passed on Nov 27th. I don't have the details but I know many of the old timers knew him well.

I wasn't close to him, but I admired his "Take No Prisoners" attitude and I was so very amused when he stood the Poser community on its ear with the Pink Pony controversy. It was fun watching that OTHER "osity" lose their hair over Doc's fabulously pink artwork.

He was invaluable when this site was started, keeping everyone on good behavior, or playing nice. And those that didn't play nice had to go to Thunderdome. Facing Doc in Thunderdome was enough to make anyone think twice about being bad.

His other job was to take down pirates all across the net, and in this case he will be SORELY missed. While someone will take on the job, NONE will ever replace him. He was definitely the the Warez Terminator.

Yo, Doc. Ease on down the road...

Absinthe

thanks 1 user thanked Absinthe for this useful post.
Communications on 12/11/2018(UTC)
smallville14  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 4:49:38 AM(UTC)
smallville14

Was thanked: 2884 time(s) in 2440 post(s)

This is indeed sad news.  

Doc will be missed particularly for his mastery of the takedown notice.   His work on behalf of Renderotica artists was much appreciated.

Ah, the Thunderdome. Remember it well. 

My condolonces to his friends and family and the staff at Renderotica.  

Farewell Doc.  Rest in peace. 

thanks 1 user thanked smallville14 for this useful post.
bodo  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 4:52:19 AM(UTC)
bodo

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 116 post(s)
Rest in Peace Doc
thanks 1 user thanked bodo for this useful post.
captaintrips  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 7:32:24 AM(UTC)
captaintrips

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)

Sad news. Doc helped me out on a number of occasions. He will be missed.

My condolonces to his family and friends.

thanks 1 user thanked captaintrips for this useful post.
davo  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 7:59:46 AM(UTC)
davo

Was thanked: 278 time(s) in 164 post(s)
Aww damn, very sad. He's probably hanging out with Don Tatro right now making Creepy the Clown for President posters ;-)
thanks 1 user thanked davo for this useful post.
Communications  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 2:36:30 PM(UTC)
Communications

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 115 post(s)

Sadly I only had minimal interaction with Ken via work, but I know from those few times he was deff a force to be reckoned with!

Rest in Peace Ken, you will be missed!

ManOfSteel  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 12:06:26 AM(UTC)
ManOfSteel

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 63 post(s)
He helped me out too. Rest in peace.
thanks 2 users thanked ManOfSteel for this useful post.
ArtSimulatesLife on 12/11/2018(UTC), Communications on 12/11/2018(UTC)
shadoman  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 12:43:09 AM(UTC)
shadoman

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 229 post(s)

Oh wow.  this is really hard to take,  two dear souls in less than a year.

I was the one who told doc about Andrew and he was really taken aback by his passing,  now he goes to the Pearly Gates and hopefully can make a case to get in.  After all to many of us Comic Artist and Prop Makers,  He was the Poster Saint against Piracy.. and he fought the good fight.

Many a time I would find our stuff out there on the web and he would grab those website by the horn and take them down with DCMA's or worse. We once came across a site that had many comics on it and Doc noticed they used Pay Pal.. He hit them hard with a notice to Pay Pal about who the site was and what they were doing and Pay Pal dropped them without any hessitation what so ever.

Many may not know this but Doc suffered a Major Heart attach while the site was under Diane's Watch and it was she that suggested we could help Doc by donating a portion of our sales towards Doc's recovery.  Never knew how much we raised but he was very thankful and even joked about his surgery.  He said the hardest thing the doctors had to do was not to mess up his body tats and even he was surprised of how well they stitched  him up.

Like many of you Doc helped me get a great deal of my stuff off the web that was posted on Planet Suzy and a few other places.  He designed some DCMA templates for me as well.. 

I think My last chat with him was a few months back right after Andrew's Passing he had confided in me that he had found a companion up thee is the Pacific Northwest. 

Anyway..  Doc you will be missed,   as was said, I'm one of the old timers and for a while a fellow member of the staff.  Rest Peacefully Dear Friend and give Saint Perter Hell and make your case that for many of us, you fought for Copyright Protection and were a champion to many of us.

Regards  Shado

Who knows what lurks in the hearts of perverted artist....
The Shado Knows
thanks 3 users thanked shadoman for this useful post.
ArtSimulatesLife on 12/11/2018(UTC), Communications on 12/11/2018(UTC), bodo on 12/12/2018(UTC)
Cyanide  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 11:33:15 AM(UTC)
Cyanide

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Sad news for sure! My condolences as well as thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

thanks 1 user thanked Cyanide for this useful post.
ArtSimulatesLife  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:01:22 PM(UTC)
ArtSimulatesLife

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Recently heard the news as well. :( 

I've known Doc since the days of the PFO and when he found out that I was going to leave there and start my own by getting *deleted* up and running, he signed right up.

Ugh, that first Thanksgiving was a nightmare with the both of us on the phone because everyone freaked out when we created an adult section for him to run on *deleted* and it was his idea to start a separate website and, though not many know this... Doc Legume... Ken... was the one who came up with the name "Renderotica".

He told me he would run it, while I, along with Ed, Traveler, Diane, Colm, Clint and others, focused on growing *deleted*.

Ken was awesome, dedicated to the community and also dedicated to ruffling the feathers of self-rightous, SJW's that would freak if someone rendered one more Nude Vicky in a Temple scene. 

I will miss my friend, his wit, his sarcasm, his brash way about things... but most of all, his dependablity, his care and his friendship.

Rest Well Doc, I'll see you again, bud!
~Jack

thanks 6 users thanked ArtSimulatesLife for this useful post.
Communications on 12/11/2018(UTC), shadoman on 12/11/2018(UTC), Absinthe on 12/11/2018(UTC), brookes on 12/12/2018(UTC), bodo on 12/12/2018(UTC), rrkknight3 on 12/12/2018(UTC)
brookes  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 8:06:39 AM(UTC)
brookes

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 28 post(s)
For a while I was playing game with him to see how fast he would send out take downs. Once I must have caught him with his fingers on the keyboard because by the time I'd send the notification, the torrent was gone. Because of his work, R'otica items where almost impossible to find openly shared.

Please pass my sympathies to his family.
Bob
thanks 2 users thanked brookes for this useful post.
ArtSimulatesLife on 12/16/2018(UTC), Communications on 12/18/2018(UTC)
Zsnark  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 1:36:39 AM(UTC)
Zsnark

Doc, in my not very humble opinion, was a 1000hp asshole!
Finister  
#13 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 2:57:26 PM(UTC)
Finister

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)

Damn. Sorry to hear it. Condolences to his family.

KristinF  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2019 7:57:07 AM(UTC)
KristinF

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 114 post(s)

I only just heard this news as I have been mostly off the scene for a year.  This is heartbreaking news, Doc was always a good friend and was fiercely intelligent.  I always thought he was a cuddly, kind hearted soul although he was tough when he needed to be. I knew him for 20 years and for me he was Mr Renderotica and things just seem a little emptier knowing he is no longer around.  

"The higher and more advanced the civilisation, the more perverted the sex" Aldous Huxley
thanks 1 user thanked KristinF for this useful post.
ArtSimulatesLife on 1/8/2020(UTC)
dieterderblau  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2020 11:29:46 AM(UTC)
dieterderblau

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 69 post(s)

Rest in Peace, Doc. You'd be disgusted at what this site's become. Why'd you, Jack, and the others even bother in the first place?

thanks 1 user thanked dieterderblau for this useful post.
sumigo on 2/1/2020(UTC)
Velshtein  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2020 6:58:10 PM(UTC)
Velshtein

Was thanked: 321 time(s) in 308 post(s)

I remember Doc telling his story in the chatroom about how years ago he became the Artist of the Month at (some well known render site or the other) and how it started a shit-war there.

Ah, good times...

mjw  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 11:44:59 AM(UTC)
mjw

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 124 post(s)

Originally Posted by: dieterderblau Go to Quoted Post

Rest in Peace, Doc. You'd be disgusted at what this site's become. Why'd you, Jack, and the others even bother in the first place?

This is a harsh statement. What is wrong with the site?

KristinF  
#18 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 9:25:01 AM(UTC)
KristinF

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 114 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Velshtein Go to Quoted Post

I remember Doc telling his story in the chatroom about how years ago he became the Artist of the Month at (some well known render site or the other) and how it started a shit-war there.

Ah, good times...

Ahhh the pink pony debacle... I am going to miss him :D

He started that place too.

"The higher and more advanced the civilisation, the more perverted the sex" Aldous Huxley
shadoman  
#19 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 5:33:25 PM(UTC)
shadoman

Originally Posted by: dieterderblau Go to Quoted Post

Dieter

With the passing of Andrew, this site has done it's best to stay afloat... both you and Bodo do great work with supplying fresh material to Premier, something I wish I could do more often.  I think this site is doing it's best een with the roadblocks placed in the road.

I do thinks things will improve in 2020 But if you disagree, that is your right to say so.

How about we give the site a few more months.

Regards  Shado 

The Shado Knows
thanks 1 user thanked shadoman for this useful post.
bodo on 2/1/2020(UTC)
shadoman  
#20 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 5:44:44 PM(UTC)
shadoman

Originally Posted by: KristinF Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Velshtein Go to Quoted Post

Ah, good times...

Ahhh the pink pony debacle... I am going to miss him :D

He started that place too.

KF

I could have sworn I sent an email in regards to Doc's passing, If I did not I am so sorry that I failed to alert you.

He was a kindered soul and a good friend, He helped me out a while back on his own time getting some of my stuff off the web.and he saved me a lot of time and I was just so amazed of how fast it all happened. I greatly compensated him for his time as this was not actually work regarding Renderotica   We stayed in touch after his move to the Pacific Northwest and I occasionally sent him images of site stuff posted elsewhere  and he did the job he did so well in regards to the artist and vendors who post here.

I hope your are OK and all things are good across the pond..   I can relate to your comments about your aging PC's  I have one going on 10+ years now that uses XP  It has a lite version of photoshop I use for post work. It also had a comic software I dearly loved but it finally crashed and I had to switch to Comic Life and I really enjoy that program

Take care now  Shado

The Shado Knows