Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lednah  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:01:33 AM(UTC)
Lednah

Being a Daz newbie just learned the HD models not only have HD textures (as I thought) but also have HD morphs. So my question is - do the Golden palace and Dicktator packs works with HD morphs (as I presume the morphs are different for the different models from the different artists?

And there comes the second question - does Golden Palace and Dicktator work correctly with non-standard sets of morphs at all (I presume as "standard" are considered this set Genesis 3 Female Body Morphs SKU:22050 and the other three sets - G8F Body, G3M Body and G8M Body). What will happen if I try to use some of the beautiful custom made model bodies (not V7 and those which derives from it)? 

matt  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2018 9:07:15 AM(UTC)
matt

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 35 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Lednah Go to Quoted Post

Being a Daz newbie just learned the HD models not only have HD textures (as I thought) but also have HD morphs. So my question is - do the Golden palace and Dicktator packs works with HD morphs (as I presume the morphs are different for the different models from the different artists?

And there comes the second question - does Golden Palace and Dicktator work correctly with non-standard sets of morphs at all (I presume as "standard" are considered this set Genesis 3 Female Body Morphs SKU:22050 and the other three sets - G8F Body, G3M Body and G8M Body). What will happen if I try to use some of the beautiful custom made model bodies (not V7 and those which derives from it)? 

HD morphs don't transfer over to geografts, but you can still use them on the character, you just may see a line where the joint is at. As for using the grafts with custom characters, you'll be fine. Some extreme shapes can cause distortions, but most of the characters in the stores will be fine.

thanks 1 user thanked matt for this useful post.
Meipe on 6/29/2018(UTC)
Meipe  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2018 2:33:20 AM(UTC)
Meipe

Was thanked: 153 time(s) in 111 post(s)
We can't create HD morphs for stuff not to be sold outside DAZ store... so HD morphs aren't included in GP and Dicktator.

About FBM, I included rigidity maps and custom morphs to support many of them... If you have an issue with a specific one, please mail to me and I'll see what I can do for you! :)
Grafts for the Garden of Earthly Delights
Lednah  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2018 4:44:52 AM(UTC)
Lednah

Originally Posted by: Meipe Go to Quoted Post
We can't create HD morphs for stuff not to be sold outside DAZ store... so HD morphs aren't included in GP and Dicktator.

Thanks, but maybe then I didn't ask the correct questions because I didn't understood correctly:

When I was told about non-standard HD morphs I presumed it is about (for example) such packages: https://www.daz3d.com/olympia-8-hd-add-on or https://www.daz3d.com/olympia-7-hd-add-on and https://www.daz3d.com/fw...rahele-hd-for-olympia-7. Initially I thought they have only new textures, now I become totally confused what is what. Do GP/Dicktator supports the models which are marked as HD from Daz store or not or you mean some other HD characters?

matt  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2018 9:09:02 AM(UTC)
matt

The HD add-ons are just the HD morphs as far as I know. I don't believe the textures are different. I could be mistaken, if so someone please correct me. :)

Lednah  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2018 12:54:02 PM(UTC)
Lednah

Originally Posted by: matt Go to Quoted Post

The HD add-ons are just the HD morphs as far as I know. I don't believe the textures are different. I could be mistaken, if so someone please correct me. :)

That's why I am frustrated. I thought HD means 4k textures.

matt  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2018 1:51:43 PM(UTC)
matt

Well, most texture maps from DAZ and many others are 4Kx4K pixels already. Making them much larger than that wouldn't really improve the look of the character, but it will definitely slow down your renders. The only time I've seen larger texture maps is when you have a very large mesh that actually needs them to prevent pixelization.

Meipe  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2018 3:23:48 AM(UTC)
Meipe

That's why I am frustrated. I thought HD means 4k textures.

I think by HD they only mean morphs for a hi-res mesh (subdivided 1, 2,... times). They are used for details, and should match the 4k textures.

matt  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2018 10:32:15 AM(UTC)
matt

I just did a little experiment to get a true idea of how large a 4Kx4K pixel image really is. I loaded on of my custom characters, a G3F figure that is scaled to 5'6" tall. I set my render size in settings to 4Kx4K pixels. When I positioned the camera to capture her from her knees to the top of her head, she rendered out life size. As in, she could have been standing in front of me. So, if you are anywhere between 5 and 6 ft tall, a 4Kx4K image will stretch from the top of your head to approximately your knees. Based on how the textures for G3 and G8 are laid out, that means that they are larger than if you were to skin a person and lay out the skin in the same pattern. Don't try that at home though, do it at a friends' house. ;)

Lednah, if you're interested in the HD packages, don't hesitate. I have a few HD morphs and they are fantastic for adding detail. The textures are already larger than life, so they're already HD. 

Edit: this is how I determined her height. These are great for making sure your characters are morphed and scaled correctly if, like me, you think a nearly 6 ft tall woman is a bit uncommon. ;)

https://www.sharecg.com/v/40765/gallery/11/Poser/Poser-height-measuring-rulers

Edited by user Saturday, June 30, 2018 10:42:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Added link

thanks 1 user thanked matt for this useful post.
Lednah on 6/30/2018(UTC)
Lednah  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2018 11:19:52 AM(UTC)
Lednah

It is not a hesitation, I am just frustrated from the sheer number of different and not compliant between themselves items.
matt  
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2018 1:34:00 PM(UTC)
matt

It is not a hesitation, I am just frustrated from the sheer number of different and not compliant between themselves items.

I'll assume you're using G3 since you mentioned V7 in your original post. If you want to try a few out, try these:

Tara and Sachra HD  https://www.daz3d.com/tara-sachra-hd-for-victoria-7

I don't really use Sachra, but Tara's texture and HD morphs get a lot of mileage. They're subtle, but you notice them.

Aging Morphs 3  https://www.daz3d.com/aging-morphs-3-for-genesis-3-female-s

The ones in here that I really like are the stretch mark morphs. They add a lot of detail to the bodies of more mature women that really make an image pop. The image below uses the stretch mark morphs, as well as the belly shaping morphs from ZeVo. The texture is Anagord's Mel G3F.

Try these out, they're even on sale right now! See what you think and then maybe grab the set for V7 or another character that you like to use.

matt attached the following image(s):
HDtest.png
Lednah  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2018 3:43:00 PM(UTC)
Lednah

Looks great! Although it seems the border between the genitals and the body texture is slightly visible:-)

Basically I am a Blender guy and the only thing I cannot more or less easily create on Blender are good looking genitals - even like the standard anatomical elements which go with Daz Pro bundles. The only genitals available to Blender are a century old (a least they looks so) and was created by one of the creators of MakeHuman. Who left MakeHuman project and created a great completely free Blender add-on for making human bodies - including making a body by using background images for references. Unfortunately he outright refuses to to make genitals for his own add-on. Making genitals mesh for his bodies is easy but morphing manually the mesh vertex by vertex is a PITA. So I had to choose between iClone and DS. For one or another reason decided to stick (at least for now) with DS and at first will try to make some adult comix. So right now I don't want to spend a lot and am trying to use Blender props, clothes and hairs as much as possible as well to use the available freebies for Daz - which came mostly from Renderocity. Most of them are rather outdated but still can be used with minimal adjustment. If I have a success with the comix I will think what may come next but I do understand the competition is very stiff and... well, will see:-) My only (minor) advantage are my several years as adult webmaster from where I know what people are looking for and how to promote it.
matt  
#13 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2018 4:17:47 PM(UTC)
matt

What appears to be a seam there is actually a C-section scar which, believe it or not, is part of the texture! It's visible with or without the gens, with or without the HD morphs. In this case, it works great for me because this character is intended to be a single mom. I've noticed a lot of textures for more mature characters have that light line along the mons. It's like the character creators are reading my mind or something. In any case, check out some of the HD morphs that DAZ has on offer, whether they're from DAZ or from others like ZeVo. They do work well and add a level of depth and realism that is hard to beat for the effort and cash outlay. I don't use Blender although I really should, but I can't seem to find a download link on their site. I might need to create an account. My modeling skills are utter shit though. I tried to follow a tutorial for making a wine bottle a while back, I ended up with what looked like a masochistic butt plug. I should really try again. :) 

Lednah  
#14 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2018 4:41:44 PM(UTC)
Lednah

I don't use Blender although I really should, but I can't seem to find a download link on their site. I might need to create an account. My modeling skills are utter shit though. I tried to follow a tutorial for making a wine bottle a while back, I ended up with what looked like a masochistic butt plug. I should really try again. :) 

No need of account: https://www.blender.org/download/

But you should know there is a new version in making which will introduce new renderer https://youtu.be/eAVjwXEjDdo There are links to the developer version 2.8 if you are curious: https://builder.blender.org/download/

Blender is much faster then DS, When I load Blender after I worked with Daz I have a feeling I am using quite different computer. Also the big advantage of Blender is the complete freedom with the shaders. Every shaders related item in Blender is called "node" and you have complete freedom on how to combine them. Not to mention there are zillions of node tutorials for every case in life where the Blender guys freely share their node combinations. Also the preview rendering is much faster then Daz renders and you can really render a preview in real time as you are making changes.

matt  
#15 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2018 10:54:46 PM(UTC)
matt

Thanks for the link, I'll certainly look into it.

Meipe  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2018 10:43:07 AM(UTC)
Meipe

Also the big advantage of Blender is the complete freedom with the shaders. Every shaders related item in Blender is called "node" and you have complete freedom on how to combine them.

DS has Shader Mixer to do something like that... I'm not a huge fan of it, but it can be powerful too. It looks like lots of Blender users often edit their nodes, but a few DAZ Studio users enter in the Shader Mixer room...

By the way, did you try to export fom DAZ to Blender, and if yes, what is your favourite solution?

Lednah  
#17 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 7:47:11 AM(UTC)
Lednah

DS has Shader Mixer to do something like that... I'm not a huge fan of it, but it can be powerful too. It looks like lots of Blender users often edit their nodes, but a few DAZ Studio users enter in the Shader Mixer room...

I am Daz newbie so am far away from using Shader Mixer room - didn't even knew about it. But the advantage of Blender is you just type in youtube what you need and will get at least 5 different combos starting from 5 up to 55 shaders. You get all the shaders (diffuse, emission, glass, glossy, SSS, PBR  etc) simply by assigning a material - when you assign a material you always start with a diffuse shader, after that you can click and substitute it with any shader *or* even shader combos (presets) which you liked and decided to save; but the freedom you have often entices you to try something different, or more complicated, or simply decided to play a little.

By the way, did you try to export fom DAZ to Blender, and if yes, what is your favourite solution?

There is a new free plug-in for Blender which makes wonders. I only tested it for now and am very impressed. Right now the author exterminates the bugs; you can use either the official version or the developer version https://blenderartists.o...ddon-daz-importer/684697 . I hope in couple of months the developer version will be finalized. From what I read the problems appear mostly when trying to import "older" (millennium?) stuff. 

Edited by user Thursday, July 5, 2018 7:26:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Blake_Stronge  
#18 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2018 6:37:49 AM(UTC)
Blake_Stronge

To answer the original questions, the HD figures available through Daz simply use a subdivided mesh of the model to allow more detail in the base model (more ploys = more detail). The way Daz handles the subdivision means standard SD goegraft attachments should continue to work unaffected. The only downside is that since the subdivision is not applied to the geograft, you may notice a difference in how smooth the skin appears between the base model and the geograft if you use high levels of subdivision. Clever use of pubic hair models, clothing, displacement/normal maps and camera and lighting angles can lessen this effect.

The geograft models will work fine on most character variants provided the size and basic shape remain similar. Male models in particular that deviate from the basic genesis shape and/or move the position of the pelvis, will move the geografts bones from the correct position on the mesh, making posing models like Dicktator do funny things when being posed. The bones can easily be manually repositioned to suit most shapes by using the joint editor tool in Daz, just make sure you’ve saved your scene first incase you end up with some ‘interesting’ results and can’t get things ‘straight’ again.
Meipe  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 8:46:30 AM(UTC)
Meipe

Originally Posted by: Blake_Stronge Go to Quoted Post
Male models in particular that deviate from the basic genesis shape and/or move the position of the pelvis, will move the geografts bones from the correct position on the mesh, making posing models like Dicktator do funny things when being posed.

I added rigidity maps and custom FBM slave morphs in order to avoid issues... but yes, some shapes are unsupported and may need some bone fixing.