2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
markr  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 10:49:09 PM(UTC)
markr

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Me again, I am still around .

I have been asked to do some animations with detailed genitalia showing.

In the past I simply used clothing or camera angles to suggest intercourse.

I need the female genitalia for the G3female since that's the figure I use most now.

I am looking at the Golden Palace by Meipe  since its fairly inexpensive.

Does anyone have experience with that or other figure that might work ?

I am also looking at going back to Poser for animations because I am familiar with the animation tools from Poser 7.

Is Poser 11 worthwhile or is Poser a dying application. ?

I am thinking animation and cloth room as being very desirable since I dont have either in Daz Studio.

Thanks

Edited by user Thursday, December 7, 2017 11:21:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kamion  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 1:04:43 PM(UTC)
kamion

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I don't think Poser is dying, I use P 11 about every day, but could be because I don't like the learning curve necessary to get the same kind of ease in DAZStudio as I have in Poser.

but it nags me that product support is lagging behind. About 1 out of 4 products is still for Poser it seems, the rest is DAZStudio. 

shadoman  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 2:24:11 PM(UTC)
shadoman

Was thanked: 61 time(s) in 59 post(s)

Many of who have poser and have used it for quite sometime find ease with the newer versions as the updates are in fact upgrades on the existing software. However P-11 did untroduce the new Superfly rendering engine. It may have been faster, but it dis not work with SSS shader textures.  A big letdown and only the newer skin textures have SS shaders that will work with P-11

If you are a new,  don't bother with poser and go with DAZ studio,  but like the previous poster,  I do not want to learn a new system all over again.  I have the Post work skills to fix any flaws with V4 and M4    

Who knows what lurks in the hearts of perverted artist....
The Shado Knows
contedesfees  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 9:09:44 AM(UTC)
contedesfees

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)

It's very sobering to read Poser users writing that the learning curve is the main impediment to switching to DAZ Studio. I've even read the comments of former Poser users who overcame such inhibitions, if they ever had them. Poser's horizons certainly don't seem very broad.

matt  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 9:53:43 AM(UTC)
matt

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Originally Posted by: contedesfees Go to Quoted Post

It's very sobering to read Poser users writing that the learning curve is the main impediment to switching to DAZ Studio. I've even read the comments of former Poser users who overcame such inhibitions, if they ever had them. Poser's horizons certainly don't seem very broad.

I was one of those users. Poser used to be second nature to me. When I'd try Studio it was just different enough to be frustrating, and I'd go back to Poser. Once I committed myself to actually learning Studio, the hurdles turned out to be pretty low.

drafter69  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 3:44:55 PM(UTC)
drafter69

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I was one of those users. Poser used to be second nature to me. When I'd try Studio it was just different enough to be frustrating, and I'd go back to Poser. Once I committed myself to actually learning Studio, the hurdles turned out to be pretty low.

I switched to Daz too because it was simpler.   I appreciate the various people here who refer to how the use it for professional work but the truth is I am a hobbyist who simply uses it for FUN.    If Smith Micro is depending on "professionals" to keep it in business then I suspect there will be a bumpy road ahead. 

PLEASE do not post telling me how wonderful Poser is. I realize that for many this subject is a pissing contest.   

shadoman  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 6:22:42 PM(UTC)
shadoman

OK  Maybe if I was a little younger I might try to cope with DAZ..

But the fact remains I have this huge library of props. clothing, hair etc. for V4 M-4 and Poser that would cost me a sweet fortune if I was to try and duplicate that for DAZ studio.

I spend 25-30 hours a week trying to kick out a comic every 6 weeks, Used to be 4 but I'm slowing down at age 68) I know poser inside and out and can kick out a scene with 8 clothed characters, the background set, props, poses, hair and lighting ready to render in 20 minutes 15 if I push it  Then try to kick out a 110-120 page comic with some 150-200 renders including text boxes and speech bubbles completely edited and ready for publications to 2 different websites .  Last time I look my run tine library was was  3/4 full of a 2 TB hard drive.

I admit that the new DAZ characters look great and I am not knocking anyone who uses it..   It just that it would not be cost effective for me

The Shado Knows
Floor13  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 7:00:41 PM(UTC)
Floor13

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: drafter69 Go to Quoted Post

PLEASE do not post telling me how wonderful Poser is. I realize that for many this subject is a pissing contest.

I think that ship sailed a long time ago... Us Poser users are always telling new people to go DAZ.

Back to the original topic: sounds like Poser shouldn't even be mentioned if they want to use G3 and their add-ons.

My CGBytes Store: Use Me
My Renderotique Store: Read Me
My NSFW Renderotica Gallery WARNING!: Obey Me
Facebook for previews: Facials
Twitter for X-Rated previews: Tweet This!
Tumblr: Tumble in the jungle NSFW
contedesfees  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 7:44:15 PM(UTC)
contedesfees

Originally Posted by: matt Go to Quoted Post
Matt, I hear that! There's nothing in DAZ Studio so very forbidding as to make it impossible. Better documentation would do no harm, but the perseverance that masters Poser will master DS.

Originally Posted by: shadoman Go to Quoted Post
But the fact remains I have this huge library of props. clothing, hair etc. for V4 M-4 and Poser that would cost me a sweet fortune if I was to try and duplicate that for DAZ studio.
I'll wager, Shadoman, that much of your V4-M4 library will work in DAZ Studio. You'll only duplicate items that were exclusively intended for Poser. And it's not unheard of that vendors discover that their Poser-only products work as intended in DS.

But let's face it, one 68-year-old fart to another: We're too old and too comfortable with Poser to be pulling what's left of our hair out trying to learn DAZ Studio. When you're two years short of 70, you stick to the comfortable, the tried and true, the familiar. I mean: nobody who grew up with The Beatles and James Brown gives a tinker's damn about Taylor Swift!

Originally Posted by: Floor13 Go to Quoted Post
Us Poser users are always telling new people to go DAZ.
And that, Floor13, is the the gospel effin' truth! Can you think of another product whose long-time users uniformly and sincerely recommend that beginners use a different one? Think about it! I've been driving Saabs for years, but I think a Golf is a better bet if you're learning to drive! I just bought my fourth HP tablet, but you should try Samsung if you're just getting started! Doesn't happen. Only for Poser. Yipes!!! Smith Micro has to come up with something bigger and better than repeated sales!

Masterstroke  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 7:47:48 PM(UTC)
Masterstroke

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)

guess what? If Poser decides to care for its content, and ProjectE is out, I will use both: Poser and DAZ Studio :-P <shocking>

markr  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 1:26:55 AM(UTC)
markr

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I have not managed to come to terms with Daz studio scripting. I used to do a lot in Poser with Python. There is no Studio equivalent to the Poser cloth room and that is one thing I miss.

It sound like maybe I buy the Daz studio add-on for animating.
Its christmas though and I have a bit of money so as an old Poser user I might go with Poser 11.

shadoman  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 9:22:33 AM(UTC)
shadoman

Originally Posted by: contedesfees Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: matt Go to Quoted Post
Matt, I hear that! There's nothing in DAZ Studio so very forbidding as to make it impossible. Better documentation would do no harm, but the perseverance that masters Poser will master DS.

I'll wager, Shadoman, that much of your V4-M4 library will work in DAZ Studio. You'll only duplicate items that were exclusively intended for Poser. And it's not unheard of that vendors discover that their Poser-only products work as intended in DS.

But let's face it, one 68-year-old fart to another: We're too old and too comfortable with Poser to be pulling what's left of our hair out trying to learn DAZ Studio. When you're two years short of 70, you stick to the comfortable, the tried and true, the familiar. I mean: nobody who grew up with The Beatles and James Brown gives a tinker's damn about Taylor Swift!

Originally Posted by: Floor13 Go to Quoted Post
Us Poser users are always telling new people to go DAZ.
And that, Floor13, is the the gospel effin' truth! Can you think of another product whose long-time users uniformly and sincerely recommend that beginners use a different one? Think about it! I've been driving Saabs for years, but I think a Golf is a better bet if you're learning to drive! I just bought my fourth HP tablet, but you should try Samsung if you're just getting started! Doesn't happen. Only for Poser. Yipes!!! Smith Micro has to come up with something bigger and better than repeated sales!

I like  Taylor Swift!   Maybe not all her songs and she's quite lovely and I would not hessetate to place a Poser Look alike texture in my Dungeon...

The Shado Knows
terrancew_hod  
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 12:40:44 PM(UTC)
terrancew_hod

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)

Originally Posted by: markr Go to Quoted Post
There is no Studio equivalent to the Poser cloth room and that is one thing I miss.

dforce, introduced in DS 4.10, is used for dynamic clothing. I think it's been out for about a month.

contedesfees  
#14 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 1:19:54 PM(UTC)
contedesfees

@shadoman

Okay. Lady Gaga!

(Aaah, have a look at the other vendor website with a similar name for a texture named TaylaRose ;-o) 

Edited by user Saturday, December 9, 2017 6:24:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kamion  
#15 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 3:21:31 PM(UTC)
kamion

About Poser support 

I think Xurge3D; about the last designer still producing Poser stuff for M4 and V4 has stopped completely it seems.

in the last weeks there was a 50% sell out and now the site is completely unreachable with a message by webstudio webside builder that it is diasbled

could be temporally cause Renderotica disappeared two days from my web last week,

but I fear it's permanent.

contedesfees  
#16 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 6:23:09 PM(UTC)
contedesfees

That is a damn shame! I enjoyed some of Xurge3D well-crafted creations and was looking forward to buying one or two more in the not too distant future.

kamion  
#17 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 9:03:04 AM(UTC)
kamion

@ contedesfees

don't dispare:
found Xurge3D up and running again today

Microsoft updated Windows 10 last week and after that I had trouble finding old and trusted sites for a few days.
contedesfees  
#18 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 9:56:26 AM(UTC)
contedesfees

Thank goodness! An extremely faint voice in the back of my head said: This is FAKE news! ;-), but my visit to the website confirmed the original report. It's nice to know that Xurge3D is alive and kicking, I'm going to pick up the items I've been thinking about ASAP.

Cheers and a Merry Xmas to you and yours! 

pixelator  
#19 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 12:04:45 PM(UTC)
pixelator

I need to re-try DAZ Studio. I am solidly in Poser Pro latest version.  My issues with DAZ was they keep changing their library structure makes little sense to me.  I know it has changed several times since DS (1) and sometimes the sharing of runtimes is easy, other times it is hard.  I retry every year or two and I give up.  My other issue with if you want the animation or the better render it costs money (fair) but I expect by the time I get what I want it will be more expensive than buying Poser Pro when on sale.  That being said, there are far to many new products that are ONLY available for DAZ Studio, so I will have to try again to to figure out how to share runtimes between programs.  Years ago Poser 4 Pro (was there a pro?) or maybe Poser 5 and Carrara 5 (I think) worked hand in hand like a perfect marriage.  Then they became incompatible with Poser updates.  For the people using DAZ Studio how is the rendering when on best or nearly best and have they tried hosting with Carrara Pro for rendering and animation?  Since both are same company now do they share the same render engine? 

Any good links to sharing runtimes and files back and forth for those of us who just really don't get it.  In Poser all I have to do is import an earlier or different Runtime and I'm golden. Is Daz Studio now that simple to just import a Poser Runtime and bounce back and forth between models and poses?  I'm not against learning and using multiple programs, just my free time is limited and my learning frustration level is low since I have so many projects on the table at once.

Thanks everyone :)

Edited by user Monday, December 11, 2017 12:09:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

captaintrips  
#20 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 3:29:03 PM(UTC)
captaintrips

OK  Maybe if I was a little younger I might try to cope with DAZ..

I spend 25-30 hours a week trying to kick out a comic every 6 weeks, Used to be 4 but I'm slowing down at age 68) I know poser inside and out and can kick out a scene with 8 clothed characters, the background set, props, poses, hair and lighting ready to render in 20 minutes 15 if I push it  Then try to kick out a 110-120 page comic with some 150-200 renders including text boxes and speech bubbles completely edited and ready for publications to 2 different websites .  Last time I look my run tine library was was  3/4 full of a 2 TB hard drive.

I admit that the new DAZ characters look great and I am not knocking anyone who uses it..   It just that it would not be cost effective for me

I hear ya Shadow. I'm in the same boat as you (albeit a mere child at 65), but if I sat down and learned DAZ3D then I'd want to be buying all the swell looking characters, and I really don't have the funds to do that.

I never upgraded to Poser 11 because I thought I read early on that that the TAB genitals didn't work with Poser 11. Is that true? There's an offer now to upgrade to Poser 11 for 49.95, which is hard to pass up. Not sure it's any better

than Poser Pro 2014. I know you have Poser 11, but do you use it over Poser Pro?

captaintrips