3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
matt  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 9:44:39 PM(UTC)
matt

Was thanked: 312 time(s) in 211 post(s)

I read the forums every day, and one common theme seems to always pop up, 'my shit ain't working!' So, I decided to take the time to put together a little tutorial to show the noobs just how it should be done. There's nothing wrong with being a noob, we all were at one time. I started using Poser in 2000 with Poser 4, and I fought it pretty hard back then, and my main problem was file hierarchy. Where does it all go? The biggest issue I see is that there is no common way of building a zip file, vendors kind of do their own thing. But, it is all there, you just need to understand what you're seeing in order to put it in its correct spot. So let's take a look.

I'm going to assume for this tutorial that your copy of Studio is installed correctly and just as important, you know where it is. By default, Studio will want to install to your primary C: drive unless you tell it otherwise. If you didn't tell it otherwise, that's where it will be. If you did tell it to install to another drive like I did, I'll assume that you've also configured DIM to install content there as well, and that everything is working as it should, and that Studio knows to look for your content in it's correct place, your alternate drive. If you are having problems with your Studio install itself or your DIM install, consult the boards over at DAZ, I'm not going to get into that here. I'm also going to assume that you have the latest version of Studio installed. If not, why not?

To begin, go to your drive where you've installed Studio and open the folder called 'Program Files'. Open the folder called 'DAZ3D'.

EDIT: One thing that I forgot to mention, make sure that you don't accidentally drop all of the folders into another folder inside 'My Daz 3D Library'. If you do, it won't be correctly installed and you won't be able to find it. Make sure that before you drop it, none of the folders inside of 'My Daz 3D Library' are highlighted.

Edited by moderator Tuesday, January 15, 2019 9:27:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: clarity

matt attached the following image(s):
daz1.JPG
daz2.JPG
daz3.JPG
daz4.JPG
thanks 10 users thanked matt for this useful post.
Thunder-3D on 1/6/2019(UTC), EvilSteve on 2/1/2019(UTC), temp4medp on 2/9/2019(UTC), Cehathah on 11/9/2019(UTC), Zaavaleta on 12/8/2019(UTC), melankah on 4/20/2020(UTC), rockbros123 on 8/20/2020(UTC), jaket43 on 10/13/2020(UTC), Meipe on 4/5/2021(UTC), ZenMaster3D on 3/3/2024(UTC)
Alex3  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 8:41:46 AM(UTC)
Alex3

I'm a noob and in a mess. I've failed to install my first Renderotica items to get them to work and I've only got as far as the first part of your guidance: I have ThisPC>LocalDisk(C:)>Program Files>DAZ3D - but in DAZ3D I only have DAZ3DIM1, DAZStudio4, Hexagon2 & PostgreSQL CMS. I don’t have Documentation or My Daz 3D Library. I have lots of *deleted* items installed in my Content Library but I've obviously installed them all over the place – presumably auto loaded by Windows which I shouldn’t have done. All these items work but of course they are awkward to find.

To follow your guidance first of all how do I get the folder My Daz 3D Library (and Documentation) in my Program Files there as you show in the right place? And then how do I load everything up into there. And should I then delete everything in the Content Library – and if so how do I do that without wrecking everything?

I presume this is why my Renderotica items won’t work. I tried to attach a screenclip to show you but I couldn't work out how to do that either. I'm sorry I don't even know how Forums work - do I see a reply here or do you need my email.

I would be very grateful for some idiot-proof help. Thanks, Alex

mjw  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 10:00:02 AM(UTC)
mjw

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 124 post(s)
Have you checked that you are using C (or whichever drive you use):\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library? You may be looking at your personal user Documents folder, as for example [C:\Me]\Documents\DAZ 3D. The square brackets define your own version. That is where Hexagon hides.
matt  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 3:08:40 PM(UTC)
matt

Originally Posted by: Alex3 Go to Quoted Post

I'm a noob and in a mess. I've failed to install my first Renderotica items to get them to work and I've only got as far as the first part of your guidance: I have ThisPC>LocalDisk(C:)>Program Files>DAZ3D - but in DAZ3D I only have DAZ3DIM1, DAZStudio4, Hexagon2 & PostgreSQL CMS. I don’t have Documentation or My Daz 3D Library. I have lots of *deleted* items installed in my Content Library but I've obviously installed them all over the place – presumably auto loaded by Windows which I shouldn’t have done. All these items work but of course they are awkward to find.

To follow your guidance first of all how do I get the folder My Daz 3D Library (and Documentation) in my Program Files there as you show in the right place? And then how do I load everything up into there. And should I then delete everything in the Content Library – and if so how do I do that without wrecking everything?

I presume this is why my Renderotica items won’t work. I tried to attach a screenclip to show you but I couldn't work out how to do that either. I'm sorry I don't even know how Forums work - do I see a reply here or do you need my email.

I would be very grateful for some idiot-proof help. Thanks, Alex

It sounds to me like you're dropping them in the wrong folder. I assume you have Daz Install Manager set up to correctly install all of your content that you get from DAZ, so if you do, you can open it and see where the correct install path lies. 

Open your DIM and click the little gear icon at the top right. It will open a popup that has four tabs. Click the Installation tab, and at the bottom, you'll see a box that says 'label' and 'path'. The folder address under 'path' is where your content should go. Hope this helps.

mjw  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2019 10:01:13 AM(UTC)
mjw

@matt: "It sounds to me like you're dropping them in the wrong folder. I assume you have Daz Install Manager set up to correctly install all of your content that you get from DAZ, so if you do, you can open it and see where the correct install path lies.
Open your DIM and click the little gear icon at the top right. It will open a popup that has four tabs. Click the Installation tab, and at the bottom, you'll see a box that says 'label' and 'path'. The folder address under 'path' is where your content should go. Hope this helps."
I agree, That was why I was recommending he checks the folder he is currently using, which seems to me to be the 'personal' one for want of a better term.
thanks 1 user thanked mjw for this useful post.
matt on 12/6/2019(UTC)
Alex3  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2019 10:28:29 AM(UTC)
Alex3

In DIM my installation path is C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library. Is that correct - does it matter that the slashes go forward and the word 'Users' is in it?
If it's correct how do I install my Renderotica items into it?
I appreciate your help and patience - thank you, Alex
matt  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2019 2:49:03 PM(UTC)
matt

In DIM my installation path is C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library. Is that correct - does it matter that the slashes go forward and the word 'Users' is in it?

Assuming everything is installed and the paths in Studio are laid out correctly, yes. 

Now try this: Open Studio, and go to your content pane. Right click on the folder called 'My DAZ 3D Library, and click on 'Browse to Folder Location'. If that doesn't match what DIM has, you've got an incorrect install path. If the path in Studio is not where you've been installing your content, nothing will work correctly.

thanks 1 user thanked matt for this useful post.
mjw on 12/7/2019(UTC)
mjw  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2019 10:31:12 AM(UTC)
mjw

What Matt said.

The path looks correct as long as that is what you have used as the path for your DIM setup (I think it is the default, so it probably is). 'Users' is essential as the Public folder is a subfolder.

Download your renderotica files to (probably) Downloads. I have set up a separate folder (different drive, because you don't want to clog up C: unnecessarily) for the unzipped files - you might call it Unzipped Rendering Files. I usually then copy the name of the downloaded item (eg fishtaildressg3f_dforce) and create a new folder using that name in the 'unzipped' folder. Then I go back to Downloads and extract the files from the Downloads folder to the newly created one. If it is a single zip file I tick the show files box, but otherwise I wait until the final zip of that article (some have four or five zip files).
Then, I copy the folders that are shown in the finished window to the correct destination - in your case C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library.

They should then work, but a lot of products are not set up with the right hierarchy, often using Poser terms rather than Daz ones. It may mean you have to find the relevant files using Explorer (assuming Windows) and then note where they are. Sometimes the only way I can get something to show in Daz (especially if the program is already open)  is by opening it direct from the Windows folder, whereupon it seems to get recognised by Daz.

I will point out, however, that there are little gremlins and other beasties whose only reason for existence is to make life difficult in rendering. The number of time I simply cannot find something I know to exist in my characters, clothes. accessories etc., is alarming. I recommend that you consider becoming familiar with the Categories system. If I find something I am likely to use a lot, it is sometimes easier to categorise it (create your own category if you want) and find it that way.

Hope this helps.

Alex3  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2019 7:20:09 AM(UTC)
Alex3

Thank you. May I check first: In my Content Library I have 'DAZ Studio Formats' > leads to 'My Library' AND 'My DAZ 3D Library'. 'Browse to Folder Location' by right click on 'My Library' leads to: Local Disk (C:)>Users>Alex>Documents>DAZ 3D>Studio>My Library - then that leads into some of my installed folders but not all and they seem random. 'Browse to Folder Location' by right click on 'My DAZ 3D Library' leads to: This PC>Local Disk (C:)>Users>Public>Public Documents>My DAZ 3D Library - that leads into lots more of my installed folders. When I've checked that's right - that is that I should have these two different Folders - I will then follow through your Downloads advice.
Thank you both again for your patience.
mjw  
#10 Posted : Monday, December 9, 2019 4:07:56 PM(UTC)
mjw

Thank you. May I check first: In my Content Library I have 'DAZ Studio Formats' > leads to 'My Library' AND 'My DAZ 3D Library'. 'Browse to Folder Location' by right click on 'My Library' leads to: Local Disk (C:)>Users>Alex>Documents>DAZ 3D>Studio>My Library - then that leads into some of my installed folders but not all and they seem random. 'Browse to Folder Location' by right click on 'My DAZ 3D Library' leads to: This PC>Local Disk (C:)>Users>Public>Public Documents>My DAZ 3D Library - that leads into lots more of my installed folders. When I've checked that's right - that is that I should have these two different Folders - I will then follow through your Downloads advice.
Thank you both again for your patience.

I am not sure what this is saying. The Content Library pane, if that is what you are describing, shows what the Folder and file structure is. I have both Daz Studi Formats and Poser Formats as the first level. Let's concentrate on Daz. The next level is 'My Daz 3D Library'. My Library is within that, but doesn't have many folders or files, and is, i suspect not the correct structure - but it works. If stuff comes from non Daz sources it may have all sorts of structures. 
However. I also have a similar format for the My Library stuff. I think this is because Daz expects you to save your morphs, personalised presets, etc there rather than in the main (public) area. Don't ask me why!

So, on the face of it, the stuff is where it should be. If you move a figure, and then experiment with saving that as a Preset Pose (Save as: Pose Preset) you should find the resulting preset in your personal folders rather than what you might call the generic ones. The same applies with morphs (another entire minefield) and other presets. It is also the area where your saved scenes and scene subsets and renders will probably go as a default, but you may well wish to change those settings.

So don't panic about the two locations. It sounds like they are probably right.

Dareshiranu  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2019 12:31:31 PM(UTC)
Dareshiranu

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

For my own part I use multiple libraries. One is the base for Daz, then separate libraries for Renderotica and *deleted*. Then another for the free stuff or other stuff I get from the little guys here and there. That way I have a little more control over the individual bits and bobs. 

mjw  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2019 2:06:18 PM(UTC)
mjw

Not a bad idea. Do the non Daz ones get seen in Daz Content Library or Smart Content?
EvilSteve  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2019 1:16:47 AM(UTC)
EvilSteve

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Originally Posted by: mjw Go to Quoted Post
Not a bad idea. Do the non Daz ones get seen in Daz Content Library or Smart Content?

I do the same thing (separate libraries for each store/source), so I can answer: The Content Library pane will show any folder path you've set up through the Content Directory Manager (from the drop-down menu on the pane display). IIRC, you can add the same root folder under both "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats," and both kinds of stuff will be available as appropriate.

Note: Content Library also has trees for "Products" and "Categories". I have gotten in the habit of adding my own Categorization to every new item I install, so I do virtually all of my looking for stuff through my personalized Categories, rather than the content folders themselves. That way, it's all organized in a way that makes sense for me (so if I have something specific in mind, I never have to remember "which store did I buy this from? And where did the vendor put everything?" On the other hand, I don't think I've ever gone looking for anything under "Products".

For things to show up in Smart Content, you would need to add a "Compatibility Base" for any items that weren't installed through DAZ Install Manager. Basically, you're creating an association between a "thing" (clothing, character preset, poses, materials, etc.) and the base item that "thing" is applied to. Depending on how deep you want to go with this, it can get slightly complicated (e.g., say you have a G8F clothing set with several materials; you could associate the clothing itself with the G8F figure, then also set up a new compatibility base for the clothing to then associate the material settings with), but if you just want something like clothing to show up in Smart Content when you have the main figure selected, you: 

1. In Content Library, go to the folder containing the stuff you're setting up.
  2. Open the pane drop-down menu and select "Content DB Editor". This will bring up a Content DB Editor window.
  3. Go to the "Compatibility" tab. Select the stuff you're working on in the top list, then also select it in the bottom list (believe it or not, if you get into the kind of workflow I follow every time I install something new, this double-selection actually makes a bunch of stuff easier).
  4. Right-click in the bottom list and select "Add Compatibilities to Selected File(s)". This will bring up the "Select a Compatibility Base" window, with a list of all the installed products that DAZ Studio knows about.
  5. Find the base figure (or whatever the things you're editing should get applied to). For example, G8F would be under Genesis 8 --> Female. Select that and hit "Accept". 

While you're in the Content DB Editor, you might also want to head over to the Categories tab, right-click and "Add Root Categories to Selected File(s)". That determines where things show up in Smart Content (under "Default"), and DAZ has set up some useful default categories that are different from the way I organize things in my Category list. Particularly handy for poses, where you can set up things like "Default/Poses/By Function/Sitting". 

All of this is very much optional (you can always just navigate to stuff through your folders), but honestly: The earlier you get in the habit of setting up all these associations and categorizations with every new thing you install, the more your future self will thank you.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 11, 2019 1:50:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked EvilSteve for this useful post.
mjw on 12/11/2019(UTC)
EvilSteve  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2019 1:50:29 AM(UTC)
EvilSteve

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)

And just so it's here, but separate from my last post because it's a little more advanced (from something that was already somewhat advanced): Here's how to create a new compatibility base. Say you just bought a clothing set for G8F, with a bunch of material settings. 

1. Add the clothing items (or whatever it is) to a blank scene. You don't even need a G8F to wear them (although I don't think it will hurt anything if you do).
  2. On the Scene tab, open the drop-down menu and select "Edit --> Select Default Compatibility Bases". This will open up a small "Default Compatibility Base" window.
  3. Click the "..." button next to the "Compatibility Root" field. This opens the "Select a Compatibility Base" list.
  4. Right-click in this list and select either "Create New Root Compatibility Base" or "Create New Sub-Compatibility Base". 
    • The difference here is whether it's listed in the "root" of this list, or at a lower level. For example, I think by default DAZ has a root "Genesis 8" base, and then sub-compatibility bases under that for "Female", "Male", "Female Eyelashes", "Female Genitalia", etc. 
    • To create a sub-compatibility base, you'll do your right-clicking on the root base you want it under.
    • I usually create a root compatibility base for each vendor, and then sub-compatibility bases for each product from that vendor. For example, I have a "Davo" base, with sub-compatibility bases for "Basic Scifi Cuffs", "Cattle Drive", etc.
    • DAZ seems to vacillate on whether to do the same thing, or create a new root compatibility base for each product. A new root for every product seems to me like a good way to end up with a ginormous root list. There's an "Enter text to search by..." box at the top of this list for a reason.
  5. Once you've got a root or sub-compatibility base where you want your new items to appear, select it in the list and hit Accept. You'll return to the "Default Compatibility Base" window, but now the "Compatibility Root" is filled in with what you just selected.
  6. Hit Accept again. DAZ studio will now have added each item in your scene under the compatibility base you selected.

You can now do as I described in the previous post, and add those compatibilities to the materials settings for the clothing. When that's done, those material settings will show up in Smart Content when you have the clothing selected.

My personal overall workflow whenever I install a new product from somewhere looks like: 

1. Unzip to the appropriate store folder.
  2. If it's a new object, usually do the steps above to set up a new compatibility base. I'll sometimes skip this step if it's something that didn't have any extra materials or other settings to apply to it. 
  3. Open up the Content DB Editor and add do both Add Root Categories and Add Compatibilities. Sometimes also add Tags, but I'm not sure the search function really makes full use of the tagging system, which is somewhat disappointing.
  4. Set up my personal Categories, which I usually do by right-clicking in the folder list and select "Create a Category from --> Selected Folder & Sub-Folders...". And then just create the new Category within my usual hierarchy. 
    • In some cases, it may make more sense to select individual items, right-click and select "Categorize" (rather than categorize the entire folder at once).

thanks 1 user thanked EvilSteve for this useful post.
mjw on 12/11/2019(UTC)
mjw  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2019 2:58:24 PM(UTC)
mjw

Thank you so much EvilSteve. This is almost all new to me, and as you suggest, I think I must have thousands of compatibility bases.
This is why I like Renderotica. There is so much generosity of spirit and help, and it is usually easy to find, unlike other sites where the scale makes finding questions and answers sometimes nigh on impossible. I will have a go at this.
Alex3  
#16 Posted : Monday, December 23, 2019 7:48:11 AM(UTC)
Alex3

Thanks to MJW and MATT for your help about correctly installing to Daz Studio. I've tried to follow your instructions but no progress. I'll keep trying. If you have any other thoughts I'd be grateful. I think it's definite that my installations are incomplete since when I try to use anything I get a list of files that are missing - but I still can't work out why. Thank you for your patience - Alex3

mjw  
#17 Posted : Monday, December 23, 2019 1:04:55 PM(UTC)
mjw

Little difficult at present to concentrate on this, but are there some specific products causing issues, or is it them all? Do you have difficulties with official Daz products?
If you open DIM there is a cogged wheel at top right.
Hit that, and it pops up four tabs: Accounts, Downloads, Installation and Applications.
Can you snip the image for the last three of these and post it? I suggest editing out in a photo program any personal identifiers before doing so.
That may help to show if something is not right, but I don't recall anything obvious in earlier posts.
Happy Christmas.
Alex3  
#18 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 4:18:59 PM(UTC)
Alex3

Hi. I'm sorry for delay in replying - I'm not sure that my last reply posted properly. I don't have any problems with official DAZ products, nor with products I've purcvhased from *deleted*. I've taken the snips you requested - but  how do I attach them to you. I hope this reply gets through. Thank you for your help.

Alex3 attached the following image(s):
Applications snip.PNG
Downloads snip.PNG
Alex3  
#19 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 4:26:34 PM(UTC)
Alex3

I'm sorry to be so hopeless. I  I managed to attach two snips and hope here's the third. Thanks for your patience

mjw  
#20 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2020 10:12:51 AM(UTC)
mjw

Alex3,
I haven't managed to crack the image-posting trick here, so well done. 
Not quite sure what your specific question is here, but I will make the following comments.
Snips 1 & 2 seem to be right, although you may wish to add the other Daz radio buttons in case there are ancient items not brought forward.
Snip 3 is also apparently right.
So, are you saying that it is non Daz sources that are not working?
If so, are you sure that you are 
a: unzipping the files before attempting to load them? I usually unzip to a folder (or even drive) identified as files that have been unzipped to be sure that I am dealing with the unzipped files when I install them.
Then, copy those unzipped files, and paste them into My Daz 3D Library. I usually unzip with Windows Explorer and tick the option to view the files only for the final unzip of a particular download (there can be several zip files for the same product). When the files are visible you will see the folders the creator intended. I then copy those and paste into the top directory of My Daz 3D Library. 

The problem can be that the creators do not use the Daz structure or provide any metadata for Daz to see. Then, I find the best answer is either to find the object or whatever in Explorer and attempt to open it as a standalone item using Daz. Then it frequently becomes visible. Otherwise not the location in your file structure and work down to it in Content Manager. Davo's early stuff, designed for Poser, is a problem in this respect as Poser has a different structure. Incidentally, you must have Poser files ticked in your downloads choices for these to be downloaded. You also need to look in the Poser Format bit rather than the Daz Studio Formats in Content Manager. It is in the very first column of the Content Manager pane.

I have discovered the value of creating categories (also first CM column) and/or adding products to them. Thus, if I want to create a category for a specific genre (say Collars) I do so and add that category to the product by right-click and then select the category. If necessary, create a new category. This helps when you lose a product, as you simply go to the Categories pane, find Collars, and it shuld be there.

Hope this helps. 

mjw