2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ratbat  
#21 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 4:44:52 AM(UTC)
ratbat

Originally Posted by: Zaavaleta Go to Quoted Post

Maybe I'm a bit slow and I missed something, but is there a link to a picture of Paul and Pauline? I don't even know what they're supposed to look like. I mean, if these are Poser's flagship characters, shouldn't they give us promo images or something? That'd be like trying to promote Victoria and Michael 9 by saying "They're good. Trust us. No, we don't have sample renders. Just buy them."

I'm just sayin'.

I don't really think that Poser has a flagship character, not officially at least.  It's more like an expanding range of characters, each with quirks and charms. I don't think they want everyone to just throw out their old characters and start over with these. 

ratbat  
#22 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 4:46:29 AM(UTC)
ratbat

I don't think they look that different than their predecessors. The improvements are in the details and rigging.
Zaavaleta  
#23 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 5:29:00 AM(UTC)
Zaavaleta

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Originally Posted by: ratbat Go to Quoted Post

I don't really think that Poser has a flagship character, not officially at least.  It's more like an expanding range of characters, each with quirks and charms. I don't think they want everyone to just throw out their old characters and start over with these. 

I'm not a marketing guy, but I think they really should make some flagship characters. Disney, DC, Marvel, and of course Daz all have 1 or 2 recognizable characters that represent their brand, and they promote the shit out of them. I realize most of this isn't the Poser team's fault. They're owned by a wall street company and have to make the best of what their company gives them.

I can't really get excited about these characters if SmithMicro doesn't even want to promote them.

My Specs: i5-6600 3.3Ghz, 16Gb ram, GTX 770 4Gb
My Gallery
Resist.
StrongFang  
#24 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 2:16:01 PM(UTC)
StrongFang

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Happy New Year everyone! I know many folks, including me, felt that the original PoserPro 11 Pauline figure was a big ugly disappointment. However, I decided to download the update to PoserPro 11.1, that came with three morphed base figures, Pauline 2 Asian, Pauline 2 African, and Pauline 2 European. Since I do primarily animations, I decided to take a crack at animating the new out-of-the box PP11.1 figures. My first video concentrated on using Walk Designer on Pauline 2 Asian and implementing the new 3D Path feature. For my second video, I thought I would like to try using PoserPro 11.1 bullet physics to animate Pauline 2 African's breasts. It took a bit of messing around with the bullet physics settings and mesh painting, but I really think the breast motions came out pretty well (not perfect, I know, but I think I know how to fix the remaining problems). Since my previous PP 11.0 breast animations were a dismal failure, I have to admit I was very pleased with this one. In hopes of encouraging other folks who may have gotten the PP 11.1 upgrade, I decided to post this video, even though animating Pauline 2 is still a work in progress for me. I was happy to discover that Pauline 2 readily accepts BVH motion capture files originally developed for V4. No more tweaking is required than the tweaking that has to be done for V4.2-WM. If anyone would like to take a crack at animating Pauline 2's jiggly parts, I'd be happy to share the Bullet Physics settings I used for this breast animation. Just drop me a PM. Here are the links to my two posted animations. I hope these links work for you. If not, both animations are in my gallery. Enjoy!

3D Walk Path and Walk Designer animation: http://www.renderotica.c...-1?artistname=StrongFang
Breast animation: http://www.renderotica.c...2-Out-Of-The-Box-Video-2

Like everyone else, I am very much looking forward to the release of Erogenesis' new figure!

BTW, the first couple of times I downloaded the upgrades there were multiple loading glitches.  It took Smith-Micro a few days to fix these very basic problems, and then they did not bother letting folks know there were new upgrade versions available.  Check your SM downloader to make sure there are no more recent versions of P11.1 or PP11.1 hanging around at SM waiting for you to download them.  I swear, these guys must have all worked at Microsoft before coming to SM.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 2, 2018 12:20:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Additional Info

ratbat  
#25 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 3:34:35 PM(UTC)
ratbat

Originally Posted by: Zaavaleta Go to Quoted Post

I'm not a marketing guy, but I think they really should make some flagship characters. Disney, DC, Marvel, and of course Daz all have 1 or 2 recognizable characters that represent their brand, and they promote the shit out of them. I realize most of this isn't the Poser team's fault. They're owned by a wall street company and have to make the best of what their company gives them.

I can't really get excited about these characters if SmithMicro doesn't even want to promote them.

I have had similar thoughts in the past. Their reasoning seems to be that a figure is not a character.  A figure(s) is what they provide, and characters are what we the users make. If they had a virtual spokesperson in the form of a really appealing character, maybe it would give their promotions more... character.  But unlike Daz who promote Genesis for its ability to be morphed and molded into nearly anyone, SM seem to prefer a range of figures.  It is the users who stubbornly insist that one figure should dominate the rest and who refuse to see the value in any figure that is released without a full wardrobe and numerous morph packages.

I was always of the opinion that as features were added to the program the older figures should be updated accordingly with weight-mapping, SSS, pose handles, soft bodies etc. But I'm always told it would be too much work on their part, and that if the figures were updated, every item of accompanying clothing would then need to be updated as well.

Masterstroke  
#26 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 5:29:24 PM(UTC)
Masterstroke

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Poser will have a flagship very soon. Too bad for SM, that it is not their flagship. Ship happens 😜crazy crazy
I get constantley ignored. That's why I can behave like a pig and nobody gives a shit.
Zaavaleta  
#27 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 11:15:50 PM(UTC)
Zaavaleta

I have had similar thoughts in the past. Their reasoning seems to be that a figure is not a character.  A figure(s) is what they provide, and characters are what we the users make. If they had a virtual spokesperson in the form of a really appealing character, maybe it would give their promotions more... character.  But unlike Daz who promote Genesis for its ability to be morphed and molded into nearly anyone, SM seem to prefer a range of figures.  It is the users who stubbornly insist that one figure should dominate the rest and who refuse to see the value in any figure that is released without a full wardrobe and numerous morph packages.

I was always of the opinion that as features were added to the program the older figures should be updated accordingly with weight-mapping, SSS, pose handles, soft bodies etc. But I'm always told it would be too much work on their part, and that if the figures were updated, every item of accompanying clothing would then need to be updated as well.

I can kind of see what you mean. From Poser's perspective, their target market is mostly people who already own a Poser product. What they don't seem to realize is that depending on what version the user has, they may have never seen Paul and Pauline because they're only in certain releases.

I know Genesis is all about morphability and expandability, but when each version comes out I can look at Victoria and Michael and compare them to the previous versions and see what's improved (or gotten worse). Poser doesn't seem to offer that since they seem to throw a grab bag of random people in each release.

For me personally, I'd rather pay a few bucks for a high quality model than get a bunch of low quality ones for free.

My Gallery
Resist.
drafter69  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 12:13:43 PM(UTC)
drafter69

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
It seems not many are impressed with the new Paul and Pauline. I also think it is interesting that no one seems to be talking about the poser 11 to 11.1 upgrade.
Zaavaleta  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 6:12:30 AM(UTC)
Zaavaleta

Originally Posted by: drafter69 Go to Quoted Post
It seems not many are impressed with the new Paul and Pauline. I also think it is interesting that no one seems to be talking about the poser 11 to 11.1 upgrade.

That's pretty much what I've been saying. It's hard for me to get excited about Paul and Pauline when I've never seen them before and still haven't because there are no promo images. And I only bought Poser Pro 11 because I want to make content for Poser.

Honestly, I don't think I've used any Poser characters in my renders, not since I discovered Victoria and Michael 3 (so about 12 years I guess).

My Gallery
Resist.